FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Newly Redesigned Air Canada Mobile App (Fall 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1993153-newly-redesigned-air-canada-mobile-app-fall-2019-a.html)

ecc Nov 18, 19 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist (Post 31749144)
Can you side load on a fire? The new app should be up on apkmirror by now.

I could, but the idea of running unsigned binaries from a source I don't trust makes me squeamish.
It's a shame, you'd think they'd make an effort to actively support such a popular and cheap device from a large manufacturer.

canadiancow Nov 18, 19 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by ecc (Post 31751175)
I could, but the idea of running unsigned binaries from a source I don't trust makes me squeamish.
It's a shame, you'd think they'd make an effort to actively support such a popular and cheap device from a large manufacturer.

Is it that popular? At my last company, we officially supported the Amazon ecosystem, until we realized it was a non-trivial amount of effort for something like 1% of our user base, and 0.1% of our Android revenue.

ride red Nov 18, 19 3:35 pm

I somehow ended up downgraded to the beta version of the app. Signing in doesn't bring up any reservations. When I try add them manually, it can't find them.

Total garbage.

Bohemian1 Nov 18, 19 3:40 pm

At least one version of the app had problems dealing with trailing spaces when manually adding reservations. The app would come back and say that the rez couldn't be found.

I think it was for the name field only, not the PNR. IMHO it's lazy coding not to trim strings but maybe that's been fixed.

canadiancow Nov 18, 19 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 31751300)
At least one version of the app had problems dealing with trailing spaces when manually adding reservations. The app would come back and say that the rez couldn't be found.

I think it was for the name field only, not the PNR. IMHO it's lazy coding not to trim strings but maybe that's been fixed.

I'd argue that's lazy backend coding.

No point doing it twice (Android and iOS) when you can do it once in a manner that's much easier to update.

ecc Nov 18, 19 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31751202)
Is it that popular? At my last company, we officially supported the Amazon ecosystem, until we realized it was a non-trivial amount of effort for something like 1% of our user base, and 0.1% of our Android revenue.

No idea, but I always assumed that based on price that it was very popular for the bottom end of the market. IIRC it was <C$100, and the only way to root it requires physical tampering. So perfect for a disposable travel device.
But mobile is not my expertise canadiancow so I'll defer to your expertise.

To get back on topic I honestly got so frustrated at that that I uninstalled the app from my phone as well. The one place I really want to use it is the tablet.

Clipper801 Nov 18, 19 4:07 pm

The new App does not carry the bookings registered on the old App. Signed into Aeroplan and it does not pull up my existing bookings. I have to re-enter each and everyone.

Seat preview function is eliminated. What was AC thinking?

This new App is total rubbish.

Sopwith Nov 18, 19 4:35 pm

Utter crap (as usual with AC).

Genetk44 Nov 19, 19 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31751564)
Utter crap (as usual with AC).

I’ve been using the Air Canada app ever since it first came out....and I’ve constantly been amazed at how Air Canada manages to screw it up at every so-called “upgrade”. But this time they really managed to get to a new low. All the essential functionality and information has been removed, the u/i sucks, and it just looks like crap....the whole thing appears to have been designed by a 5 year old. They couldn’t have ruined it any more than if they were actually trying to.....oh!!!

24left Nov 19, 19 2:07 pm

Can someone explain how to get rid of this. I was playing around with different features. This was a flight status search. Fine. It was for Nov 18 and irrelevant now. Thanks.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...78d7406239.png

codfather Nov 19, 19 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Genetk44 (Post 31755039)
I’ve been using the Air Canada app ever since it first came out....and I’ve constantly been amazed at how Air Canada manages to screw it up at every so-called “upgrade”. But this time they really managed to get to a new low. All the essential functionality and information has been removed, the u/i sucks, and it just looks like crap....the whole thing appears to have been designed by a 5 year old. They couldn’t have ruined it any more than if they were actually trying to.....oh!!!

App isn't totally complete yet from what I understand.

Expect many bug fixes and other additions to the app in the coming weeks.

shadowspar Nov 19, 19 4:37 pm

That's one heck of a downgauge; this flight was scheduled on an A350 when I booked it.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...85d4a5de61.png

ridefar Nov 19, 19 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by shadowspar (Post 31755592)
That's one heck of a downgauge; this flight was scheduled on an A350 when I booked it.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...85d4a5de61.png

At the moment it is totally screwing up aircraft on any itinerary with two or more segments. It seems to randomly pick one type from one segment and use it for all segments. But if you go back later you might find a 333 on YQG-YYZ or some such.

Norcanair Nov 19, 19 5:13 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread - mods feel free to move.

Since the Amadeus upgrade came online today, the Aeroplan iPhone app won't log me in, claiming "this version of the app is no longer supported." Click on the update option, but the app store has no new version available

Smiley90 Nov 19, 19 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Norcanair (Post 31755716)
Not sure if this is the right thread - mods feel free to move.

Since the Amadeus upgrade came online today, the Aeroplan iPhone app won't log me in, claiming "this version of the app is no longer supported." Click on the update option, but the app store has no new version available

the new version is available on Android, so this might just be an iOS Apple thing holding the update up for a couple hours. Try again tomorrow I'd say.