FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Help Getting From Toronto to Mozambique (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1993114-help-getting-toronto-mozambique.html)

TheCanuckian Oct 28, 2019 11:33 am

Help Getting From Toronto to Mozambique

Next summer I need to get from Toronto to Nampula, Mozambique (APL). I would like to book this itinerary through Air Canada so I can earn AQM and AQD. I’d like to book business class. The most likely route is YYZ - LHR - JNB - APL (on Air Canada and South African aircraft).

When I attempt to book it through AC, it comes to around $20,000 round trip because it will only allow me to book refundable business class fares. But when I search for YYZ - LHR - JNB, it offers me P fares and comes to around $5,000 return. So that final short flight, which is in economy anyway, is messing everything up. Somehow it kicks it to a whole different kind of fare.

Obviously the most economical option is to book this as two itineraries (YYZ - JNB through Air Canada and JNB - APL through South African). However, I am concerned about that APL - JNB flight on the return. If I book it as a separate itinerary and that flight is running really late or gets canceled, suddenly I’m in danger of missing my JNB - LHR flight and having my entire return itinerary canceled. There is only one of these APL - JNB flights per day, so it’s not like there are lots of options.

How do you handle these things? What’s the best way of protecting myself against the danger of having everything go awry because of one late or cancelled flight?

(I know I could possibly also fly through ADD and that it offers more economical options, but with the uncertain return of the MAX, and Ethiopian's history with it, I'm hesitant to take that option.)

canadiancow Oct 28, 2019 11:41 am

I'd play around on ITA. There are definitely published P fares to APL that are likely under $5k all in.

songsc Oct 28, 2019 11:48 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31674536)
I'd play around on ITA. There are definitely published P fares to APL that are likely under $5k all in.

Just checked on EF, lowest on AC is PRC90 at $4558 before tax.

TheCanuckian Oct 28, 2019 11:54 am

Originally Posted by songsc (Post 31674557)
Just checked on EF, lowest on AC is PRC90 at $4558 before tax.

Thank you. What do I do with that information (PRC90)? I can see that too…

songsc Oct 28, 2019 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 31674578)

You may find this site helpful. It's not as comprehensive or as detailed as possible, but it sure corrected a few misunderstandings I had and taught me many new things.

https://www.travelcodex.com/introduc...er-fare-rules/

Fiordland Oct 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 31674578)

You might also find option on TAP Air Portugal through Lisbon.

TheCanuckian Oct 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland (Post 31674612)
You might also find option on TAP Air Portugal through Lisbon.

Yeah, thanks. It looks like the timing of that one may not quite work out. I'll keep exploring it.

TheCanuckian Oct 28, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by songsc (Post 31674609)
You may find this site helpful. It's not as comprehensive or as detailed as possible, but it sure corrected a few misunderstandings I had and taught me many new things.

https://www.travelcodex.com/introduc...er-fare-rules/

It was helpful to read that article. But I'm still uncertain: Can I call Air Canada with this information (PRC90) or is that only relevant to a travel agent?

tcook052 Oct 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 31674648)
It was helpful to read that article. But I'm still uncertain: Can I call Air Canada with this information (PRC90) or is that only relevant to a travel agent?

PRC90 is the fare basis for the P class business class CAD$4558 + tax ticket and yes, either a TA or AC should be able to access that fare and confirm space (subject to availability).

songsc Oct 28, 2019 12:26 pm

1. Read the fare rules and routing rules for PRC90, to make sure your trip qualifies for that fare basis in terms of min/max stay, advanced purchase, etc. If all requirements are satisfied, moved to step 2. If not, do the same for the next fare basis (PRC906, PRC907, for example).

2. Look into flight availability for the round trip availability. Look for the entire trip as a whole rather than breaking it up, as there may be married segments logic. Note the dates with P space available. If P is not available on the dates you want, try Z, and go back to step 1.

3. Call AC or travel agent, quoting the fare basis you find in step 1 and dates in step 2.

4. Good luck, ticketing is complicated, EF doesn’t work 100% of the time, agent may not be knowledgeable enough, etc.

ACYYZ/SD Oct 28, 2019 5:16 pm

Not sure how the pricing will work out but consider YYZ AC GRU SA JNB and v.v.
GRU is an increasingly popular connection point for JNB.

TheCanuckian Oct 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 31675624)
Not sure how the pricing will work out but consider YYZ AC GRU SA JNB and v.v.
GRU is an increasingly popular connection point for JNB.

Thanks for the suggestion. From what I’m seeing I can’t buy those flights on an Air Canada ticket. My options are limited to connecting through Europe rather than South America.

As it happens, I’ve had little luck getting a ticket that will get me all the way through to Maputo at a reasonable fee. It seems that I may need to break it up into two tickets: YYZ - JNB and JNB - MPM.

StuMcIlwain Oct 28, 2019 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian (Post 31675736)
Thanks for the suggestion. From what I’m seeing I can’t buy those flights on an Air Canada ticket. My options are limited to connecting through Europe rather than South America.

As it happens, I’ve had little luck getting a ticket that will get me all the way through to Maputo at a reasonable fee. It seems that I may need to break it up into two tickets: YYZ - JNB and JNB - MPM.

Have you called AC? They can ticket lots of itineraries/fares that do not appear on their website. I've done this many times (but then I have little patience trying to get their website to work.)

ricktoronto Oct 28, 2019 6:42 pm

If you are spending $5,000 use a human travel agency with a 24/7 emergency number. It adds <1% to the cost. They would have found the 1/4 of your $20,000 fare for you.

LondonElite Oct 28, 2019 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 31675828)
If you are spending $5,000 use a human travel agency with a 24/7 emergency number. It adds <1% to the cost. They would have found the 1/4 of your $20,000 fare for you.

Agreed