Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Unable to credit miles, they have already been credited. But I don't see them

Old Oct 25, 19, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Hello all, I recently flew TAP business NCE-LIS-JFK (Wednesday 16th) and the miles have not posted.

I waited 8 days and filled out the form on the Aeroplan missing miles and received "Your request has been rejected from TAP, as the miles have been credited already". FYI this was a paid business class C fare.

I check my miles history, nothing. I re-checked my booking with TAP and my boarding passes and they all had my Aeroplan number on it (as well as *S status recognition)

I tried calling Aeroplan, Air Canada and escalating to a supervisor. Basically I have to send an email to [email protected] with my boarding passes and ticket receipts and proof I flew.

This flight was suppose to push me past 35K before Oct 31st, but since this request won't be adressed and credited before Oct.31 will I still be recognised for the early status? Not my fault somewhere someone screwed up.. The supervisor said "no in this instance you won't and it's your loss too bad" (her words, I was shocked)

Where could the miles have gone? I don't have an account with TAP, and my booking had my Aeroplan number. I'm so clueless, what do you guys think? could the system from TAP have sent the miles to another Aeroplan account?
Old Oct 25, 19, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
That really sucks.

My TAP miles credit faster than my AC flights so you are right to escalate this. But if your AE number is on the TP boarding passes then that should be proof positive.
Old Oct 25, 19, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Ouch, sorry to hear this case. Pretty awful response from customer service too.

Agreed as above though, it should be a pretty clear case to fix up.
Old Oct 25, 19, 7:47 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
I flew 4 days ago with TAP , and the miles for both segments already posted at the correct 200% J rate.

All of our emails show we had requested to credit Aeroplan with aeroplan#.he boarding passes. *initially* had an error in which they did not say AC xxxxxxxxx *G . DUB agent said we were fine. but istead of AC, the ticket showed TP followed by our Aeroplan #.

I caught this upon arrival in LIS, and was referred to the Diamond elite checkin office as they were "the only ones who can fix for unflown and in process flights" without contacting award program 1+ week after flight date.
Old Oct 26, 19, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
I flew 4 days ago with TAP , and the miles for both segments already posted at the correct 200% J rate.

All of our emails show we had requested to credit Aeroplan with aeroplan#.he boarding passes. *initially* had an error in which they did not say AC xxxxxxxxx *G . DUB agent said we were fine. but istead of AC, the ticket showed TP followed by our Aeroplan #.

I caught this upon arrival in LIS, and was referred to the Diamond elite checkin office as they were "the only ones who can fix for unflown and in process flights" without contacting award program 1+ week after flight date.
I called TAP again, the agents in Portugal confirmed me that the E-ticket # and the PNR I provided had my AC number and *S. Even my boarding pass had them correctly.

They confirmed that the miles were sent to the correct account I provided.

I'm just completely stunned how miles can vanish and be missing. The Aeroplan Missing Miles form is a joke, saying miles were already credited. Like, guys, you don't think I verified my account? 8,560AQM down the drain. Bye bye early recognition.
Old Oct 26, 19, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by royal757 View Post
I called TAP again, the agents in Portugal confirmed me that the E-ticket # and the PNR I provided had my AC number and *S. Even my boarding pass had them correctly.

They confirmed that the miles were sent to the correct account I provided.

I'm just completely stunned how miles can vanish and be missing. The Aeroplan Missing Miles form is a joke, saying miles were already credited. Like, guys, you don't think I verified my account? 8,560AQM down the drain. Bye bye early recognition.
@royal757

I feel for you. Bad enough getting rude and unhelpful people at Aeroplan (there are good ones and then there are not), the challenge is you didn't get someone who cared just that extra bit to look into it. I had to battle with them on crediting an actual AC flight from Japan a few years ago where they claimed I never flew back. I had the BP, ticket, and I told the agent that I would also include photos of me in the cabin and food and wing shots as proof.
She then went and did some digging and said "well, it's possible the agent didn't close the flight". Seriously? In Japan?

I had another incident last year where CX miles (Aeroplan only) didn't credit and the auto-garbage email claimed I never flew the flight. That was funnier as it was an AC ticket, CX codeshare, and AC and CX BPs and I also had photos from the flight etc.

Aeroplan's attitude seems to be, well, not our problem it shows the miles were credited.

So hindsight being what it is, I would add that you should put in writing that you flew the flight, you send them copies of your BP and your ticket and any other bits that you have than will prove it. Take a screen shots of your Altitude pages and highlight the dates of flights before and after and ask where the TAP are?

Further, if they claim the miles were credited, you ask them for proof where they were credited, because it certainly wasn't your account based on what you tell us is on your Altitude page.

I realize this might not help you but perhaps others in the future who wander by, I am one of many people who, over the years, have had these kinds of issues with Aeroplan. Sometimes, they would blame AC because of course, Aeroplan was owned by Aimia and felt AC was easy to blame for missing miles etc. Even talking to AC, they would claims Aeroplan is responsible and as customers, we were always caught in the middle.

It's an incredibly poor way to run a business and treat customers but then we all know, both companies have employees and perhaps even the corporate culture where no one cares.

Beyond you giving them the proof you flew, and Aeroplan insisting the miles were credited, as a customer, they should tell you where they credited these miles.

As for early recognition, unfortunately, I was never one to book things close to deadlines, expecting Air Canada and Aeroplan to do their posting jobs effectively and on time, so I used to make sure I had a buffer earlier in the year, which I know is not possible for everyone.
Old Oct 26, 19, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hertz 5*
I flew a domestic AC metal flight earlier this year that redirected in-air to another city due to not being able to land at scheduled destination due to weather. The flight posted as cancelled even though I definitely flew it and even was put up in a hotel overnight by AC. After 2 failed attempts to resolve missing miles through AP - standard missing miles form first, then an email to [email protected] (both were boilerplate BS responses), I submitted a customer service request on aircanada.com. Got a reply and miles credited within 48 hours with an apology.

Sometimes escalating using the Contact Us form on the AC website actually works.
Old Oct 27, 19, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyckerr View Post
I flew a domestic AC metal flight earlier this year that redirected in-air to another city due to not being able to land at scheduled destination due to weather. The flight posted as cancelled even though I definitely flew it and even was put up in a hotel overnight by AC. After 2 failed attempts to resolve missing miles through AP - standard missing miles form first, then an email to [email protected] (both were boilerplate BS responses), I submitted a customer service request on aircanada.com. Got a reply and miles credited within 48 hours with an apology.

Sometimes escalating using the Contact Us form on the AC website actually works.
I agree, the contact us form on AC's website actually resolved a problem I had earlier this year about misscalculated miles (I was credited 50% AQM on 7 bookings, when they actually were 100% flex G class). A nice agent finally helped me just when I was about to loose all hope.

I called Aeroplan today and a nice agent escalated my inquiry to a supervisor. Supervisor was able to dig into the matter further and realized that TAP has credited the miles to some other aeroplan account (a random one) but she wasn't able to see which account (what?). She then wrote an email to TAP's mileage department for a retroactive mile credit to the correct aeroplan account (which is mine). So god only knows how long that will take. But I stay optimistic and hopeful we'll get down to the end of this.

She also reassured me even if the correct miles post to my altitude after Oct.31 I'll still be recognized for early-recognition. I just have to email AC for investigation (probably another few weeks of waiting,, right) anyhoo. I'm happy I got an extra step today, and the aeroplan supervisor told me this should take 1-2 days if not I should email them back.

staying positive, but kind of mad someone out there got my miles when I actually needed them (for a booking). Also, weird that systems mess up like this. As I said I took the same flight in May and the crediting was flawless, took 2 days.
Bohemian1, yyckerr and dr_torch like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I'm curious as to if anyone is willing to help with knowledge or tips. What are my options? TAP is blaming AC for their IT systems not crediting properly the miles. And AC is blaming TAP for crediting the miles to a wrong account and they are unable to trace which members actually received the miles.
AC is telling me to speak to TAP as it was a TAP flown flight and they credit the miles. TAP is telling me to talk to AC as I credit miles to AC and not their "miles and go" program.

I am starting to loose hope and tried to : write emails, several phone calls, escalated to supervisors.

I don't know what to do at this point. It's 8,600 AQM and it is a significant amount. I'm OK at this point not getting the early recognition, but it's been two weeks and I have gotten no where.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
AC is telling me to speak to TAP as it was a TAP flown flight and they credit the miles. TAP is telling me to talk to AC as I credit miles to AC and not their "miles and go" program.
get both companies on the phone. introduce them to each other unexpectedly, hit conference button and mute. this can work wonders, and suddenly the finger pointing stops.

you can't reasonably expect one company to wait on hold while you dial the other, so timing is a bit tricky... but use two phones or have a family member initiate one call then forward/conference them in.
Old Nov 1, 19, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
get both companies on the phone. introduce them to each other unexpectedly, hit conference button and mute. this can work wonders, and suddenly the finger pointing stops.

you can't reasonably expect one company to wait on hold while you dial the other, so timing is a bit tricky... but use two phones or have a family member initiate one call then forward/conference them in.
I wish it were that simple but I was not able to get both companies on the phone, especially with Aeroplan's long phone lines.
I called close to midnight and spoke to a supervisor yesterday at Aeroplan, here's the sum-up : Aeroplan it saying it's not their fault, and there is nothing they are willing to do more than what they did by sending an escalation report to TAP. This will take 10 weeks, by Jan 5th if the miles are not credited, they will pay for them out of their own pocket as goodwill gesture, and confirmed I won't be able to make the sweep for 50K as Jan1st will have passed.

Also, I missed the E35K early recognition as Aeroplan states they do not want to post the miles without getting paid from TAP. Again they said it's not their fault and they do not want to do anything about it. Blaming it on an IT glitch or an unwillingness from TAP.

key take-aways from my call :

"Well it's not our fault your miles didn't post, next time think about flying with Air Canada, they'll post quicker and will be flawlessly credited instead of having 30 systems speak to each other. Risk of error will be reduced"
"You've missed early recognition, and if the miles don't post by Jan 5th we'll post them out of our pocket, but you'll have missed the sweep and we can't do anything"

I'm currently planning another round the world trip as I'm hopeless and pretty much gave up that these miles won't post. 8,560AQM that I have to do again if plan on having 50K by year end.
Old Nov 1, 19, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

I'm currently planning another round the world trip as I'm hopeless and pretty much gave up that these miles won't post. 8,560AQM that I have to do again if plan on having 50K by year end.
Ouch.

The lack of of customer care here is staggering.
Old Nov 1, 19, 1:43 pm

Programs: *G
And so much for cooperation between Star Alliance partners - it's never been stellar.
Old Nov 1, 19, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Update: Just went into my altitude dashboard. It looks like aeroplan manually added the flight as "FLIGHT MILEAGE ADJUSTMENT". But the segments are missing, and the actual flights on the dashboard do not even appear. Not the cleanest way of doing things, so I am therefore missing 2 AQS.

Also officially fulfilled all 35K obligations (AQM + AQD) and even the adjustements are backdated (to Oct.16th) But the status still shows 25K.

Cannot believe these flights can't be cleanly added. Yes I got the Miles, but did not get the early recognition and and now missing 2 AQS and the dashboard is hard to keep track of with erroneous information.

Last edited by royal757; Nov 1, 19 at 10:00 pm
Old Nov 2, 19, 4:57 am

Programs: AC E75K
Update: Just went into my altitude dashboard. It looks like aeroplan manually added the flight as "FLIGHT MILEAGE ADJUSTMENT". But the segments are missing, and the actual flights on the dashboard do not even appear. Not the cleanest way of doing things, so I am therefore missing 2 AQS.

Also officially fulfilled all 35K obligations (AQM + AQD) and even the adjustements are backdated (to Oct.16th) But the status still shows 25K.

Cannot believe these flights can't be cleanly added. Yes I got the Miles, but did not get the early recognition and and now missing 2 AQS and the dashboard is hard to keep track of with erroneous information.
It has been reported many times on this board that Aeroplan apparently has no way of manually crediting AQS. Iíve also experienced it two years ago.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: