Wiki Posts
Search

15inch Macbook Pro on board

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
15inch Macbook Pro on board

Apologies if this has been asked before but a search hasn't shown anything.
I'm shortly to fly LHR-Winnipeg via Toronto with AC. I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro which is not affected by the battery recall. Are there any issues with taking this and using aboard Air Canada planes? Airlines have varied in their response to the battery issue with one or two banning taking any 15 inch MacBook on board (whether or not subject to the recall_). I can't find any mention on the Air Canada or Canadian transport websites but wanted to be sure before I set off.
Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
I’ve never been questioned with the same laptop.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
I’ve never been questioned with the same laptop.
Thanks 😊
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Since Apple issued the recall I've done a trip to Asia and now on my third trip to Europe on AC with a 15" Pro (also not affected) and it has never been mentioned at all.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:27 am

Is there some sort of issue? I didn't even know. I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), and it has been with me on every trip - 50+ flights a year, since, well, when it was first hatched.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
https://support.apple.com/15-inch-ma...battery-recall

The affected models were banned by some airlines / regulatory agencies. I heard of a few airlines that went overboard and were going after any 15" MacBook, but nothing like that from AC. OP will be fine.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
https://support.apple.com/15-inch-ma...battery-recall

The affected models were banned by some airlines / regulatory agencies. I heard of a few airlines that went overboard and were going after any 15" MacBook, but nothing like that from AC. OP will be fine.
The FAA has actually banned the affect models with recalled batteries from being brought onboard either in checked or carry on luggage.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-from-flights

And some countries have banned them entirely from flying. Vietnam for one.
Refused boarding [by VN] - fobbed off by [AF] Platinum line

And some others have their own rules.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31576089-post63.html
24left likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I keep getting emails about my affected model, but it must have been one of the three 15 inch MBPs I had at my last job.

But the "YOUR MACBOOK HAS BEEN RECALLED" emails freak me out a bit every time.

If you're confident yours isn't affected, I wouldn't worry. Apple makes it very easy to tell if yours is affected.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Apologies if this has been asked before but a search hasn't shown anything.
I'm shortly to fly LHR-Winnipeg via Toronto with AC. I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro which is not affected by the battery recall. Are there any issues with taking this and using aboard Air Canada planes? Airlines have varied in their response to the battery issue with one or two banning taking any 15 inch MacBook on board (whether or not subject to the recall_). I can't find any mention on the Air Canada or Canadian transport websites but wanted to be sure before I set off.
Thanks.
1. Print off the Apple page mentioned later in this thread. Which says the affected laptops are MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). So if it is not the same year, it's moot.

2. Run the serial number check and print that off which (you hope) will say not affected. Even if it is not the same year - get a result that says not affected.

3. Run about this mac on the laptop (apple symbol upper left on screen) and do a screen shot of the page that shows the type and year issued and serial number, using Shift+Apple Key + 4, then use the crosshairs to surround the info and save it as a graphic file and print that.

Carry those with you.
canadiancow and 24left like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
1. Print off the Apple page mentioned later in this thread. Which says the affected laptops are MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). So if it is not the same year, it's moot.

2. Run the serial number check and print that off which (you hope) will say not affected. Even if it is not the same year - get a result that says not affected.

3. Run about this mac on the laptop (apple symbol upper left on screen) and do a screen shot of the page that shows the type and year issued and serial number, using Shift+Apple Key + 4, then use the crosshairs to surround the info and save it as a graphic file and print that.

Carry those with you.

Or don’t.. in the last 20+ flights, many thru India whose banned them, no one has taken notice.

Recommend not drawing attention to one’s self.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Or don’t.. in the last 20+ flights, many thru India whose banned them, no one has taken notice.

Recommend not drawing attention to one’s self.
Clearly you do this in the event you are asked for evidence your computer is not affected with this recall issue. It was not suggested to glue them onto your body and say look at me, look at me.

Do you connote "carry with you" with show to every human nearby? Do you empty your pockets in front of strangers? Just curious.
canadiancow and PB53x11 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Clearly you do this in the event you are asked for evidence your computer is not affected with this recall issue. It was not suggested to glue them onto your body and say look at me, look at me.

Do you connote "carry with you" with show to every human nearby? Do you empty your pockets in front of strangers? Just curious.

The point, my friend, is you won’t be asked. Don’t ask, don’t tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.