Community
Wiki Posts
Search

N Fare - No PY then PY Q

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
N Fare - No PY then PY Q

Months ago I booked a trip, which I flew over the summer. This is more of an interest question than anything

I was booked on an N fare from PTY-DUB, via YYZ. Both AC. The return was also an N fare DUB-FRA-FCO-YUL-YYZ-PTY, with the first 2 legs on LH and the last 3 on AC. There were no options for PY between YUL-YYZ at booking, so it was booked into a B fare on an A320. P-N-Q-Q-N-B-P is the full fare details

A few days before the return journey, the A320 turned into a 772, now with PY. At YUL, I went to the departing gate after getting in from FCO to ask about being put into PY. The agent looked up my reservation and said that nothing could be done as it was booked as B fare for that leg. I mentioned that it was indeed, as no N fare was possible upon booking, but then the plane was changed a few days back. She again confirmed that nothing could be done

I didn’t take it further, such a short flight and only 125 more status miles for me, but I do still wonder, was I entitled to it?

In case it matters, this trip was booked through an offline travel agency, who I didn’t ask about reticketing (or whatever would be the only way, before airport takes control)
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think the TA would have been the way to go. I'm not sure how the system works at the gate there, but it's also not the kind of thing I'd expect a GA to want to spend time processing right before the flight.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think the TA would have been the way to go. I'm not sure how the system works at the gate there, but it's also not the kind of thing I'd expect a GA to want to spend time processing right before the flight.
Fully understood regarding the GA - it was about 15 minutes before they started doing anything, but I get the point

Would the TA have been able to reticket/refare this? At no cost to them (or me)? The requirement on this sort of fare generally 30 days advance purchase, which I was obviously well inside at the time, hence why I didn’t ask
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:47 pm

I don't have much experience here, but I expect it would have been a free change.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Fully understood regarding the GA - it was about 15 minutes before they started doing anything, but I get the point

Would the TA have been able to reticket/refare this? At no cost to them (or me)? The requirement on this sort of fare generally 30 days advance purchase, which I was obviously well inside at the time, hence why I didn’t ask
In general, the rules depend on that specific TA.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Maybe in terms of fees they charge for actions like this, but the actual reticketing should be the same regardless, right?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
TA is family (pretty much), so they personally would not charge me. I just didn’t want them to get stuck with some cost to reticket/whatever

Ty both for the info, if it comes up again I will see how it’s handled well before airport control and report back here
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't have much experience here, but I expect it would have been a free change.
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.