Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Giving Up Your Seat for a Passenger in a Wheelchair

Giving Up Your Seat for a Passenger in a Wheelchair

Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I'd take a better seat but otherwise I'd say, "no thanks, I chose this seat because I planned ahead to secure a suitable seat for my condition. Ask 7D and 7F."

(I recently did a long flight trapped in behind an infant in a bassinet in front of what should have been Mr. M.T. Seat but Ms. I. Didn't Plannahead wheedled an upgrade to the bulkhead. I would have LMU'd if I had expected Mr. M.T. Seat to be relocated.)
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by cayohueso
I kind of put this into a "lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part" situation. I've had to travel a few times with a wheelchair companion and have always taken it upon myself to make sure the situation is as well in hand as can be before getting to the airport, booking first or business class, buying extra seats and noting the reservation.
I agree. I travel with a wheelchair and when a trip will be longer than two hours (or when I am traveling alone) I am booked in j or f to ensure I have the space and comfort I need.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Am I imagining the part where I pick a seat and AC tells me they reserve the right to remove me if it is required for a disabled passenger?

I want to pat myself on the back and tell myself that I'd give up my seat in a heartbeat. I imagine if actually faced with this though...

If it's a short flight, sure. Anything over 4 hours and I'm likely to put up a fight. I guess I'm a jerk.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy
Having spent 50 minutes on hold with Aeroplan in order to select these exact same seats in February (couldn't access my booking on AC website), I would not be very cooperative in this situation.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I would most certainly say no...

A little while ago on a Jazz flight, the FA acted very inappropriately when asking me to change seats. A rather large man was sitting in an aisle seat in row one on the DH4, and it was quite obvious the armrests were a little restrictive for him. I had paid for a comfort fare when booking the flight, and so I was entitled to a preferred seat (window seat in row two).

The FA thought it would be a good idea to very loudly ask me in front of this man if I would change seats with him because I had the two seats to myself. It was beyond embarrassing because she put me in a position where I could not really say no. A simple solution would have been to quietly ask me if I could, to which I would have replied no thank you, but unfortunately this was not the case with her.

I am still considering writing AC about this, but it may not be worth my time.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:25 am
Original Member

He could have my seat.

But I get his wheelxhair.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by codfather
I would most certainly say no...

A little while ago on a Jazz flight, the FA acted very inappropriately when asking me to change seats. A rather large man was sitting in an aisle seat in row one on the DH4, and it was quite obvious the armrests were a little restrictive for him. I had paid for a comfort fare when booking the flight, and so I was entitled to a preferred seat (window seat in row two).

The FA thought it would be a good idea to very loudly ask me in front of this man if I would change seats with him because I had the two seats to myself. It was beyond embarrassing because she put me in a position where I could not really say no. A simple solution would have been to quietly ask me if I could, to which I would have replied no thank you, but unfortunately this was not the case with her.

I am still considering writing AC about this, but it may not be worth my time.
It's too bad you couldn't have said NO in a way that would have embarrassed the FA.
codfather likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
AC does not provide its SE free preferred seats on every flight. It lets SE pick from preferred seats that may be available at the time the SE picks a seat.
I don't think this is any different than a non-SE customer choosing and paying for a preferred seat when they book, which may or may not be available. Either way that's the deal when you pay for your ticket. It's just that with SE you've paid enough already that we're back to square one.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
OP still hasn’t told us what s/he did. Wants us to put it out there but isn’t willing to do the same?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Finkface
OP still hasn’t told us what s/he did. Wants us to put it out there but isn’t willing to do the same?
Fair enough.

I declined, largely because I didn’t think they gave me the information I needed to make a good decision in a split second. The gate agent immediately accepted that and moved on, which I appreciated. Had she been able to express how or why this person would have benefited from the seat upgrade, I probably would have been willing. In general, that’s the kind of thing I tend to do—as do most of you, I’m sure. Having been at the gate, I had seen a couple of people in wheelchairs, but both were holding canes—an indication that they were perhaps having difficulty walking, but not that they were significantly disabled or would benefit much from a few extra inches of legroom. And, indeed, in my experience that accounts for many, perhaps even the majority, of people who need extra time or assistance to board the plane.

So I declined, but felt a little guilty about it, and still do. That’s especially true because after I went aboard I saw that the passenger in question did have a significant disability. (Though it still isn’t clear to me how the extra legroom would have benefitted him). At that point I could not offer to swap, though, because as far as I could tell he would not have been able to move from seat-to-seat without significant assistance.

Long story short, next time I would probably press for a little more information. If they were unwilling to give it, I’d probably decline again, trusting that Air Canada has mechanisms and procedures to ensure people with disabilities and other needs are adequately taken care of.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Fair enough.

I declined, largely because I didn’t think they gave me the information I needed to make a good decision in a split second. The gate agent immediately accepted that and moved on, which I appreciated. Had she been able to express how or why this person would have benefited from the seat upgrade, I probably would have been willing. In general, that’s the kind of thing I tend to do—as do most of you, I’m sure. Having been at the gate, I had seen a couple of people in wheelchairs, but both were holding canes—an indication that they were perhaps having difficulty walking, but not that they were significantly disabled or would benefit much from a few extra inches of legroom. And, indeed, in my experience that accounts for many, perhaps even the majority, of people who need extra time or assistance to board the plane.

So I declined, but felt a little guilty about it, and still do. That’s especially true because after I went aboard I saw that the passenger in question did have a significant disability. (Though it still isn’t clear to me how the extra legroom would have benefitted him). At that point I could not offer to swap, though, because as far as I could tell he would not have been able to move from seat-to-seat without significant assistance.

Long story short, next time I would probably press for a little more information. If they were unwilling to give it, I’d probably decline again, trusting that Air Canada has mechanisms and procedures to ensure people with disabilities and other needs are adequately taken care of.
Was it because of the extra legroom or was it because of the armrest. On newer aircraft usually all the arm armrests have a button towards the back that permits it to be lifted up and a passanger can slide across from in an-aircraft chair. On older aircraft that may only be a feature on certain rows.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mathemagic
I don't think this is any different than a non-SE customer choosing and paying for a preferred seat when they book, which may or may not be available. Either way that's the deal when you pay for your ticket. It's just that with SE you've paid enough already that we're back to square one.
The difference is in one case you where you pay cash fro a specific seat, if you don't get the seat the charges should be reversed.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Was it because of the extra legroom or was it because of the armrest. On newer aircraft usually all the arm armrests have a button towards the back that permits it to be lifted up and a passanger can slide across from in an-aircraft chair. On older aircraft that may only be a feature on certain rows.
The armrests are fixed on both sides in this row (since the hold the tray tables). So from what I can see, it would have been more difficult to get into and out of, not less. The armrests in all the other rows can raise and lower both at the aisle and between the seats.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
The armrests are fixed on both sides in this row (since the hold the tray tables). So from what I can see, it would have been more difficult to get into and out of, not less. The armrests in all the other rows can raise and lower both at the aisle and between the seats.
That makes no sense what so ever. That row would not be idea for someone in a wheelchair. Perhaps I am missing something?

Did the gate agents comes across as being otherwise competent.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
As a general question:
a lot of attention is given to keeping rows clear during take off and landing so people can evacuate easily and quickly in case of an emergency.
how are mobility impaired passengers handled? Wouldn’t they pose a risk in an emergency if they sit in a middle or aisle seat (and thus potentially block window passengers)? Are they allowed in those seats?
how are mobility impaired passengers evacuated?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.