FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC Prem Rouge (767) vs LH PY vs AC 777/8 PY vs BA PY (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1991072-ac-prem-rouge-767-vs-lh-py-vs-ac-777-8-py-vs-ba-py.html)

taupo Oct 12, 2019 7:02 pm

AC Prem Rouge (767) vs LH PY vs AC 777/8 PY vs BA PY

Looking at options for next summer and would like to know peoples first hand experiences.

I have flown Mini Airbus Prem Rouge and was fine with it, but 767 Prem Rouge does not sound as good.
Have never flown LH, or BA PY.
AC 777/8 is horrendous IMO

Jagboi Oct 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Which route will you be flying? Just asking because the competition has different planes on different routes and the cabins can vary

RatherBeInYOW Oct 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Never flown BA PY.

I would rank LH PY == AC PY > AC Premium Rouge. LH PY might get a slightly better nod due to better drinks and frequently cheaper prices. I would not call AC mainline "horrendous" if you can find it at a reasonable price.

taupo Oct 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi (Post 31622020)
Which route will you be flying? Just asking because the competition has different planes on different routes and the cabins can vary

Options I've seen so far are YLW-YVR-FRA-SPU on AC and Croation or AC, LH and Croation or YLW-YVR-YYZ-ZAG on AC & Rouge, or BA via LHR.

The main concern is best option for YVR to LHR/FRA/?. The other two other flights are .9 or 1.5

Jagboi Oct 12, 2019 9:38 pm

From YVR, BA will be an A380. I've not flown on that particular plane, but I believe it's similar to others in the PE class. I like the seats, it's plenty of legroom and nice width. I'd say equal to domestic J on one of AC's narrowbodies.

Food will be a choice of 2 mains from the business class menu. Service starts at the front of PE and then works back to Y, so you'll be among the first served. It's almost J minus, rather then Y plus. I find it a good value for a trip to LHR. Seat photos here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21623505-post129.html

In BA speak, the cabin is called World Traveller Plus, thus the abbreviation of WTP. I've not flown PY on AC, so I'm sorry I can't give you a comparison.

yulred Oct 12, 2019 10:06 pm

I’d go with LH, especially if it isn’t a 747. The seats are about the same - the only difference is that LH bulkheads have leg rests, AC don’t. Other than that, LH has a better second meal and a nicer amenity kit.

The big differentiator for me, however, is cleanliness and seat/cabin upkeep. AC’s PY seat seems to be made of cheaper material. The tray rest covers are (or armrests) look very battered and worn out, with chunks of material and paint missing. The little storage space in the armrest is usually too filthy to use. The seats are usually visibly stained. It’s getting so bad that I took pictures of my last 77L PY seat to show my friends/colleagues. Don’t know how to post them here - sorry. The trays and tv screens aren’t much better. Connecting onto AC from other *A carriers can be jarring with respect to cabin upkeep.

On the plus side, AC gives you a hot towel to wipe everything down. But yeah, AC PY could use a refresh - new seats and all. LH PY is a more “premium” experience on the basis of cabin upkeep alone.

Admiral Ackbar Oct 13, 2019 12:58 am

BA is as bad as AC if filthy planes bother you, I second LH PY

rankourabu Oct 13, 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by taupo (Post 31622211)
Options I've seen so far are YLW-YVR-FRA-SPU on AC and Croation or AC, LH and Croation or YLW-YVR-YYZ-ZAG on AC & Rouge, or BA via LHR.

The main concern is best option for YVR to LHR/FRA/?. The other two other flights are .9 or 1.5

This is a bit out of the way, but LO flies SFO/LAX/ORD/YYZ-WAW-SPU. Superior PY to all the other options - you get J meal, and intra-europe you get to sit in Euro-Biz.
And will probably be a fraction of the cost of AC PY.

I havent flown Rouge, but in the options you listed, I agree with the posters above LH>>BA>>>>>> AC

fin 645 Oct 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 31623499)
This is a bit out of the way, but LO flies SFO/LAX/ORD/YYZ-WAW-SPU. Superior PY to all the other options - you get J meal, and intra-europe you get to sit in Euro-Biz.
And will probably be a fraction of the cost of AC PY.

Sounds like a good option - and worthy trying on my next TATL/intra Europe. Recently did such a flight in AC PY over and LH PY back. Not impressed with either. Both do PY as the first part of Y service, then FAs disappear and good luck getting any attention afterwards. Thought LH seat and IFE was better, but what service there was took forever to start, and the thimble sized wine glass is filled once and that's it. And while AC service started faster, meal choice ran out quickly, "hot towel" was neither moist nor wet let alone hot, and no coffee/drink service after the meal. And don't get me going on FRA - I used to think it was organized chaos, now it's disorganized chaos.

taupo Oct 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Thank you for the feedback, will let you know which we book