Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Experience Dealing with Compliance? - Mom's Caregiver Stranded

Old Oct 8, 19, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, AC, UA, HH, and the other usual suspects

I'm an SE with somewhere over 800,000 lifetime aeroplan miles and had over 400,000 in my account.
My mother's live in caregiver has a son in Australia, and I tried to arrange Aeroplan tickets for them SFO-SYD on United to visit their son - a gift from me, paid for by me, booked personally by me.
I tried to do the booking online this morning, after looking at dates/times over the last few weeks. Finally, we had a substitute caregiver for my mom, so it was go time.

Aeroplan website wasn't helpful this morning (after having to go through the two-factor identification loop 5 times with correct codes, could never get past the log in screen). I called and booked the tickets. Fees waived due to website problems. Received the confirmation email, but her first name was incorrectly spelled (after spelling it out several times). So fearing a problem at the airport with a name mismatch, I immediately called Aeroplan. They couldn't change the name, but the agent said they had refunded the misspelled booking and rebooked it (seats were available). Got the second confirmation with the right spelling, gave it to her, and headed to my SFO-YYC-YXE.

Landed in YXE to a panicky phone call and several text messages from my sister. Caregiver and her husband are at SFO, but United can't check them in because "Air Canada hasn't released the ticket to United.' (Yeah, I know, it's Aeroplan, not Air Canada, but that was the message).

So, called Aeroplan. After a very long hold, agent came back to say that I needed to call compliance in the morning and that my account has been frozen. Can't rebook anything, can't log into aircanada.com to do a flight pass booking, nothing.

Anyone had an experience with this? There's no one to call this time of night that can do anything, they won't make their flight, and Moana is going to miss her grandson's rugby game.

The charges for the taxes for both the misspelled name and the second bookings are still on my credit card and have not been refunded.

Was told that Compliance will open at 9 am, and to call the general Aeroplan number and ask for them.

No call from Aeroplan to ask questions, explain, or let me know they had cancelled the booking. No email. Just leaving 2 people stuck at the airport with no explanation. I'd booked honeymoon tickets as a gift for my godson and his wife before without any problems (yet). Was it because they have non-anglo (et ni franco) names?

(Not to mention the accumulated miles, the nearing million miler, the years of SE status, and EYW).

Last edited by dibby; Oct 8, 19 at 11:44 pm
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by dibby View Post
I'm an SE with somewhere over 800,000 lifetime aeroplan miles and had over 400,000 in my account.
My mother's live in caregiver has a son in Australia, and I tried to arrange Aeroplan tickets for them SFO-SYD on United to visit their son - a gift from me, paid for by me, booked personally by me.
I tried to do the booking online this morning, after looking at dates/times over the last few weeks. Finally, we had a substitute caregiver for my mom, so it was go time.

Aeroplan website wasn't helpful this morning (after having to go through the two-factor identification loop 5 times with correct codes, could never get past the log in screen). I called and booked the tickets. Fees waived due to website problems. Received the confirmation email, but her first name was incorrectly spelled (after spelling it out several times). So fearing a problem at the airport with a name mismatch, I immediately called Aeroplan. They couldn't change the name, but the agent said they had refunded the misspelled booking and rebooked it (seats were available). Got the second confirmation with the right spelling, gave it to her, and headed to my SFO-YYC-YXE.

Landed in YXE to a panicky phone call and several text messages from my sister. Caregiver and her husband are at SFO, but United can't check them in because "Air Canada hasn't released the ticket to United.' (Yeah, I know, it's Aeroplan, not Air Canada, but that was the message).

So, called Aeroplan. After a very long hold, agent came back to say that I needed to call compliance in the morning and that my account has been frozen. Can't rebook anything, can't log into aircanada.com to do a flight pass booking, nothing.

Anyone had an experience with this? There's no one to call this time of night that can do anything, they won't make their flight, and Moana is going to miss her grandson's rugby game.

The charges for the taxes for both the misspelled name and the second bookings are still on my credit card and have not been refunded.

Was told that Compliance will open at 9 am, and to call the general Aeroplan number and ask for them.

No call from Aeroplan to ask questions, explain, or let me know they had cancelled the booking. No email. Just leaving 2 people stuck at the airport with no explanation. I'd booked honeymoon tickets as a gift for my godson and his wife before without any problems (yet). Was it because they have non-anglo (et ni franco) names?

(Not to mention the accumulated miles, the nearing million miler, the years of SE status, and EYW).
If you can't log into aircanada.com that is a problem that covers both aeroplan and Air Canada. Can you try calling Air Canada and see if they can enable your account. Once it is enabled you can try getting either Air Canada or Aeroplan to fix the problem with the tickets.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that getting last minute expensive longhaul international award tickets when you're not traveling (and the passenger presumably has a different last name and no obvious connection fo you that AC or Aeroplan can see) has set off a fraud alert.
Old Oct 9, 19, 7:40 am
Original Poster

I understand that it could have set off a fraud alert - but I booked it myself over the telephone, with 2 different Aeroplan agents (due to the name error) who never raised a concern when I mentioned who the tickets were for and why (we were chatting during the booking process), from my cell (that's my prefered contact number), and they could have sent out an email, called, or done something to let me know the tickets were being cancelled or questioned before they found out there was a problem at the United counter, and before I had to call to find out why.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Ok, called Aeroplan, account reset, and agent said he didn't know what the problem had been.

I'll try again - but they really wanted to go yesterday to catch the rugby game, and the whole airport scenario was not great and very confusing.

I guess the lesson is if there is anything that could be interpreted as funny, to call back and confirm before heading to the airport.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Ok, called Aeroplan, account reset, and agent said he didn't know what the problem had been.

I'll try again - but they really wanted to go yesterday to catch the rugby game, and the whole airport scenario was not great and very confusing.

I guess the lesson is if there is anything that could be interpreted as funny, to call back and confirm before heading to the airport.
The real lesson is to check in online before heading to the airport.

If you can't check in online, there is a problem. It may be a problem that can be solved at the airport, but it at least lets you make a phone call to ask "hey is everything fine?"
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Sounds like a really ...... outcome. Likely that something being booked from someone else's account may have triggered something.

It's not rare for CSRs (different industries) to be instructed to just "do as requested", and report the incident on the side without saying anything to the client, and to let Compliance handle it.

One way International OAL same day booking for a third party is not uncommon for fraud. Reason being that if a fraudster books a ticket say with AC with the first segment on an OAL, and the passenger checks in on the OAL right away, coupon control goes to that OAL and AC is SOL with the ticket and unable to refund. The fraudster will fly the OAL, AC will get a charge back, and the OAL will claim their share. This is probably why AC took the ticket / coupon control away from UA.

Still sucks.
shadowspar likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:23 am

Sorry this happened to you (and more importantly, to your Mom's caregiver).

Your concerns and their lack of communication is valid. But sadly, the fraud teams (same with all airlines) do not 'care' and they just lock accounts / suspend pending travel and wait for the account holder to inititate contact (and typically it is a grusome process to sort out, but looks like you got lucky and it was resolved rather quickly.)

It's difficult to see the 'hindsight' in these situations or figure out what could have been done differently, because there aren't any written guidelines as to how one can prevent this from happening. From what you have posted, you didn't do anything wrong, but just got caught up in the process.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:26 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post

One way International OAL same day booking for a third party is not uncommon for fraud. .
The OP didn't say it was a one way booking. If he has talked to an agent to book it an answered the security questions there should have been no problem, they were able to verify his identity.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
The OP didn't say it was a one way booking. If he has talked to an agent to book it an answered the security questions there should have been no problem, they were able to verify his identity.
Issue might have been a suspicion that OP was selling rewards.
Old Oct 9, 19, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC E75

Aeroplan website wasn't helpful this morning (after having to go through the two-factor identification loop 5 times with correct codes, could never get past the log in screen).
I'm surprised there haven't been more complaints here about this or perhaps I'm reading the wrong threads. I too have had to redo the two factor identification thing several times, not to mention that I had to replace a password I was using quite happily for many many years.
Old Oct 9, 19, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jagboi View Post
It's a round trip with a 7 day stay and I communicated over the phone with Aeroplan agents on all (now) 3 bookings. Address, contact info, account number etc. all verified. Told I'd been reset and all was ok to rebook by the agent this morning.

Still on the phone with Aeroplan. One of the problems is that I moved from Montreal to Saskatoon in September. I changed my address, but it keeps flipping back to the old Montreal address, then it gets changed when I talk to an agent, then it flips back to the Montreal address. The changes back and forth (generated by the system somewhere, not by me) have triggered things.

Agent has been on the phone with Compliance. I've offered to send a photo of my drivers license, deed of sale, etc.

Booked back up tickets on United: $3000 and an overnight in New Zealand on the return. I've promised them now, and after the botch up last night with them at the airport, I'm feeling obliged. But would rather spend points and $240 on taxes/fees for non-stop flights.
Old Oct 9, 19, 2:49 pm

It's a round trip with a 7 day stay and I communicated over the phone with Aeroplan agents on all (now) 3 bookings. Address, contact info, account number etc. all verified. Told I'd been reset and all was ok to rebook by the agent this morning.

Still on the phone with Aeroplan. One of the problems is that I moved from Montreal to Saskatoon in September. I changed my address, but it keeps flipping back to the old Montreal address, then it gets changed when I talk to an agent, then it flips back to the Montreal address. The changes back and forth (generated by the system somewhere, not by me) have triggered things.

Agent has been on the phone with Compliance. I've offered to send a photo of my drivers license, deed of sale, etc.

Booked back up tickets on United: $3000 and an overnight in New Zealand on the return. I've promised them now, and after the botch up last night with them at the airport, I'm feeling obliged. But would rather spend points and $240 on taxes/fees for non-stop flights.
Make sure you keep those receipts so you can file a complaint and seek reimbursement from Aeroplan for the loss of travel.
wrp96 and canadiancow like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Airlines and award programs are entitled to put in place whatever fraud control procedures they desire. However, if they can freeze someone's travel plans they also need to have a process for verifying the legitimacy of the transaction and unfreezing it quickly. This means that:

1. They should proactively notify the customer when they believe fraudulent activity has occurred, rather than waiting till they attempt to check in
2. Someone who is empowered to lift the fraud hold after verifying identity should be accessible 24/7, and airport and res agents should know the procedure for this
expert7700, Benner, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
Airlines and award programs are entitled to put in place whatever fraud control procedures they desire. However, if they can freeze someone's travel plans they also need to have a process for verifying the legitimacy of the transaction and unfreezing it quickly. This means that:

1. They should proactively notify the customer when they believe fraudulent activity has occurred, rather than waiting till they attempt to check in
2. Someone who is empowered to lift the fraud hold after verifying identity should be accessible 24/7, and airport and res agents should know the procedure for this

Exactly.
If my account had been hacked, I'd like to know.
But I'd like to be able to prove this is legit and let them fly tonight.
Right now, the Aeroplan agent is having difficulty getting it cleared, during business hours, with me on the phone. After it was already cleared once with another agent this morning and I was given the clearance to rebook.
Now the discussed and cleared rebooking is triggering this again.

Aeroplan member since the merger with Canadian. SE the last few years. My pattern isn't usually that bizarre.

Search this Thread