Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Experience Dealing with Compliance? - Mom's Caregiver Stranded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience Dealing with Compliance? - Mom's Caregiver Stranded

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem lies in not empowering an available supervisor to reverse seemingly valid anti-fraud measures. Sometimes it may be that a fraud investigation takes time and that may be a hardship, but that is a lot different than the situation where it is clear that there is no fraud, but there is no on duty person who can override the system, e.g. the 24-hour "token".

AC / AP has access to all manner of information which it can use to verify legitimacy, including the requirement that "suspicious" tickets be guaranteed with a credit card to release them.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
Although the question remains, how was it hacked? If one answers to phishing e-mails asking for AE number and password, then surely Aeroplan is not to blame. If the failure is on the Aeroplan side then they should take responsibility. Anyway, in the end, it's important to know where/how the thing happened.

In my case, I used the same password for aeroplan as for another site that got hacked. With my email and the common password they were able to get into my account. They email bombed me (a bot signed me up for thousands of mailing lists) so that I wouldn't get/see the booking confirmations. I would have had no idea if they hadn't called me. They caught the unusual activity since it was all short time frame inter-Asia travel.

I still get random newsletters and such, a year and a half later, even though I've unsubscribed to everything that comes.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Originally Posted by global happy traveller
actually Aeroplan does a pretty good job at handling reimbursements and compensation points that is considered reasonable.

also they are pretty flexible with adjusting flights, opening up seats if something went wrong w the reservation. I’m surprised they made Op pay more and book from inventory.
The supervisor on day 2 (who also called me back on day 3 to check on things) tried to book revenue tickets, but she was stuck with the 24 hour token situation and from what she said couldn't find a work around for that.
The non stop on day 3 was on United and heavily booked in coach - I asked if they could get it, but was told that it was "sold out" (there were seats available at about $1500 US one way on United.com) and since the Air Canada flight had Aeroplan seats, that I needed to take that. The extra $ was for the taxes and fees going through YVR. Also, at this point it was in the afternoon on the day of the flight (had to wait that 24 hours) and we were scrambling to see if they could get to the airport for an AC SFO-YVR that was leaving in a few hours.

Right now, the return booking isn't on my Aeroplan "Your Bookings" screen - it's disappeared! So, I'm off to call Aeroplan again and make certain nothing has happened. It may be because the return in on United and is now in their control (the SFO-YVR was also on United, finally), but I really don't want another day of flight surprise.

Last edited by dibby; Oct 14, 2019 at 10:36 am Reason: adding a detail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.