FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   MLL access at YOW when traveling to US (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1990577-mll-access-yow-when-traveling-us.html)

flyercity Oct 8, 2019 9:14 pm

MLL access at YOW when traveling to US

Am connecting from a domestic flight through YOW with onward flight to EWR and noticed there is no transborder MLL at YOW. Does anyone know if it is possible to get to the domestic MLL and then move on to transborder area from there? Or are travelers to the US just not able to use the MLL at all?

hallwax0r Oct 9, 2019 6:07 am

If you're connecting via domestic you may be able to access it, particularly if you have AC status. Keep in mind you'll need to leave the secure area, clear security and customs as you head into the TB preclearance area.

dr_torch Oct 9, 2019 9:33 am

As hallwax0r says above - when you leave the aircraft go directly into the domestic MLL. Normal access restrictions apply - either status or flying in J.

And yes, leave enough time for customs.

flyercity Oct 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks very much for the advice, much appreciated.

Antonio8069 Jan 21, 2020 5:07 am

accessing YOW MLL when traveling to USA

It looks like AC has changed its access policy for this MLL i.e. limiting access for trans border passengers:
* Maple Leaf Lounge access is not available for flights to the United-States when departing from Ottawa.
I often visit this lounge en route to EWR. Does this mean no longer?

RangerNS Jan 21, 2020 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 31976398)
It looks like AC has changed its access policy for this MLL i.e. limiting access for trans border passengers:
* Maple Leaf Lounge access is not available for flights to the United-States when departing from Ottawa.

Where are you coming from? What status?

If you transit in YOW you could get to the MLL door. With some sufficient status, you could get in. For more than an hour connection, you would put your connection in jeopardy, having to clear security and us pre-clearance.

I used YOW as my TB transfer just once since I got status. It's arguably a worse TB area than YHZ, and I never head direct to the US from home. Take that for what a stranger's opinion online is worth.

sweden05 Jan 21, 2020 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 31976398)

I think that perhaps what that is stating is just the practicality that has always been the case. If you are originating in Ottawa, it doesn’t make sense to access the YOW MLL ahead of a transborder flight. You’d have to go through domestic security, go to the lounge, then exit the secure area to go over to transborder custom/security.

If you are connecting in Ottawa, it is easy to drop into the MLL before leaving the domestic area. That doesn’t seem to be prohibited by the statement above.

RatherBeInYOW Jan 21, 2020 7:52 am

Originally Posted by sweden05 (Post 31976774)
I think that perhaps what that is stating is just the practicality that has always been the case. If you are originating in Ottawa, it doesn’t make sense to access the YOW MLL ahead of a transborder flight. You’d have to go through domestic security, go to the lounge, then exit the secure area to go over to transborder custom/security.

If you are connecting in Ottawa, it is easy to drop into the MLL before leaving the domestic area. That doesn’t seem to be prohibited by the statement above.

That is how I'd take it as well. If you were flying X - YOW - EWR then you could stop by the YOW MLL before you went back landslide to clear US security & customs (assuming you had sufficient status, etc.). If you're originating in YOW they're not going to allow you through Domestic / International security to visit the lounge first. Given the number of times I've flown YOW-EWR over the years (shudder) I can't imagine wanting to anyway; I always just headed to the YOW US departure area, grabbed a drink at the bar and waiting for the inevitable rolling delays.