Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Escape at Dannemora" - The AC hidden gems on IFE Master Thread

Old Oct 7, 19, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond

I've been meaning to start this thread for a while.

I like watching TV shows & miniseries on the AC IFE ... they come in small (hour long) chunks, so good for watching on flights of various lengths, or in between naps - but they can include shows that span 8-10 hours in total, so good for watching on longer flights, too.

AC has, over the years, put some real gems on their IFE system - in many cases, shows that I had never heard of before, and only stumbled across by accident.

Some of the amazng shows & miniseries that I've discovered via the AC IFE in the past: The Night Manager, Orphan Black, Killing Eve, Cardinal - in some cases the shows went on to get huge publicity (Killing Eve), but in some cases they remained (mostly) hidden.

The purpose of this thread is to let your fellow FTers know that the gems are there. There are plenty of TV & Moview review web sites - that's not the purpose of this thread, nor will it survive if the thread becomes a critical debate about the merits of any one show. I think a brief review of the show your enjoyed - at least the genre, and a high level description - is reasonable ... and, of course, where on the AC IFE system you found it.

-----

So, to start: This past week I finished watching "Escape at Dannemora". It's a 7 part miniseries, based on a real event - a prison escape from 2015. The series spans multiple months leading up to the escape, showing how it was planned, executed, and the consequences.

The whole series was really well done. It was on a 787 (so, the full IFE catalog), and you can find it in the "TV Shows" under "Drama".
Old Oct 7, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Great series.

They are also running the Chernobyl series as well which is quite good. The real disaster / post-disaster of the Chernobyl nuclear plant accident told through a series of individual vignettes. A great human story.

They were spotlighting this show on the 'new' IFE.
jasdou, canopus27, YYC3722 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Oct 8, 19 at 12:13 pm
Old Oct 8, 19, 2:30 am

Thanks! I fully meant to track down more episodes of The Night Manager, but totally forgot about it.

I have also found some foreign language films which I quite liked. There was a odd German one with a pilot who up and flies away from his life in a biplane - totally quirky and Bavarian, not your typical Hollywood. Having difficulty locating the name.
Old Oct 11, 19, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
Great series.

They are also running the Chernobyl series as well which is quite good. The real disaster / post-disaster of the Chernobyl nuclear plant accident told through a series of individual vignettes. A great human story.

They were spotlighting this show on the 'new' IFE.
Thank you for this, and thanks to canopus27 for starting this thread. Just watched the five episodes of Chernobyl over two flights this week. Far better than the mediocre movies that I would have watched otherwise.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 19, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
In 2017 they had this (not-so-hidden) gem called "Office Space" on AC IFE.
I will write an angry letter to AC and will petition for it to be brought back.
How dare they.

(As a side note, agree with above that Chernobyl is a good one too)
canadiancow, canopus27 and AC7E7 like this.
Old Dec 19, 19, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

My new found gem on AC is City on a Hill.

It's available under the TV section as a drama (also "Box Sets"). The show is recent (2019), but is set in 1990s Boston. From IMDB, "an assistant district attorney and a corrupt yet venerated FBI veteran work together to take on a case that grows to involve, and ultimately subvert, the entire criminal justice system of Boston"

My take: it's an interesting mix of "true detective" (the good season 1, not the subsequent crappy seasons), with hints of "The Departed", and I'm sure other shows too. I haven't finished watching Season 1 yet (that's what's loaded on AC) .... but if edgy cop shows appeal to you, then you'll enjoy City on a Hill.
Old Dec 19, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Good thread.

I generally don’t watch these on the IFE because I like to watch the entire series from start to finish. I hate jumping halfway into a story.

However, Office Space should always be available on the IFE
Old Dec 19, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC7E7 View Post
Good thread.

I generally donít watch these on the IFE because I like to watch the entire series from start to finish. I hate jumping halfway into a story.

However, Office Space should always be available on the IFE
I agree with you that jumping halfway into a story is a non-starter. Luckily, City on a Hill (and indeed, most if not all of the shows posted above) all start from season 1 episode 1 .... so you may or may not get to the conclusion of the show, but you can start from the beginning while onboard.
Old Dec 19, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
I agree with you that jumping halfway into a story is a non-starter. Luckily, City on a Hill (and indeed, most if not all of the shows posted above) all start from season 1 episode 1 .... so you may or may not get to the conclusion of the show, but you can start from the beginning while onboard.

Good to know. Iíll take a look on my next flight!
Old Dec 19, 19, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Not as "gemmy" but I quite enjoyed The Russian Five.
It brought together my knowledge of individual events and circumstances in the NHL when I was still a teenager.
And it was also entertaining.
The ending... I will not admit that I might have shedding a tear.
Old Dec 19, 19, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

I really started this thread to talk about mini-series, not a generic movie review thread ... but seeing as yyznomad has opened the door to movies ....

A couple of weeks ago, I watched "Maiden" while onboard. It's a movie, in the documentary section. I loved it.

From IMDB: "The story of Tracy Edwards, a 24-year-old cook on charter boats, who became the skipper of the first ever all-female crew to enter the Whitbread Round the World Sailing Race in 1989"

If you like well done documentaries, that do more than just tell the story but also draw you into the characters, this is something to consider. Maiden is the sailing version of "In the Shadow of the Moon". It also had me shedding a tear at the end
Old Dec 20, 19, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
"Der Fall Collini", a German courtroom drama about a young lawyer appointed by the court to defender the accused killer of a Nazi war criminal. It's under "World".
Old Dec 20, 19, 6:39 pm
yrp

Iím almost embarrassed to admit it but I probably watch more interest documentaries or shorts on AC IFE then any other time.

Maybe thatís like buying sophisticated modern artwork for your house at Walmart?

They had a documentary on a master sea salt artisan on a flight to Japan. Quite fascinating. And a piece on aboriginal art.

It was a while back and I canít recall names anyway.
Old Dec 21, 19, 8:21 am

Thanks for this. I usually just go to new releases (or Hollywood releases), sometimes Franco-canadian, but rarely go further. I've pretty much watched all of them that interest me, though. I've got a 12 hour + 5 hour trip home tomorrow, so hopefully between the choices here I'll be good.

Dr. PITUK
canopus27 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 19, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by painintheuk View Post
Thanks for this. I usually just go to new releases (or Hollywood releases), sometimes Franco-canadian, but rarely go further. I've pretty much watched all of them that interest me, though. I've got a 12 hour + 5 hour trip home tomorrow, so hopefully between the choices here I'll be good.

Dr. PITUK
There are a ton of good options ... but you can't go wrong by starting with Chernobyl (as noted above, and which I believe is still loaded). That's a compelling, must see series.
painintheuk and marke190 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: