Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada could navigate a recession better than 10 years ago: CFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/air-cana...-cfo-1.1322479

MONTREAL -- Air Canada's second in command says the company is better prepared for a potential recession than it was for the financial crisis a decade ago, when the company was plunged into four consecutive years of losses.

Chief financial officer Mike Rousseau says he is "highly confident" that a recession "of equal severity" would weigh far more lightly on the balance sheet of the country's biggest airline.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Doubtful. They've expanded so much and Canada itself will probably be hit much harder the next time around. Last recession the Canadian dollar was worth a lot more. Last recession Canada wasn't in so many diplomatic rifts with huge trading nations.

They've expanded at a rate similar to that what you see with state-owned carriers minus the taxpayer backstop.
nnanlno likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Or perhaps expanded at a rate to grow large enough to convince the taxpayer they cannot be allowed to fail...
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Well, not having an enormous debt load (recently off a bankruptcy), heavy on owned aircraft (free to sell/lease double back accounting trick) , and having a FF program (to sell off for quick cash)... Yeah.

As airlines go, AC is up there.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Well, not having an enormous debt load (recently off a bankruptcy), heavy on owned aircraft (free to sell/lease double back accounting trick) , and having a FF program (to sell off for quick cash)... Yeah.

As airlines go, AC is up there.
I thought that AC has all of its 787s on lease? Or maybe just some. IIRC After purchase they sold them to a leasing company. What about the max fleet?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I thought that AC has all of its 787s on lease? Or maybe just some. IIRC After purchase they sold them to a leasing company. What about the max fleet?
I said "heavy" not "exclusively". It was a broad stroke comment on their current financial reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.