Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Anyone else having issues on Amex website to set up AP acct to transfer from Amex MR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Anyone else having issues on Amex website to set up AP acct to transfer from Amex MR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Anyone else having issues on Amex website to set up AP acct to transfer from Amex MR?

Just been trying to link up Mrs Sofasurfer's Amex and Aeroplan accounts (although I was fairly sure we had done this some time ago - although I'm not 100% sure).

Getting the following message:

Notifications

Please note that due to system issues, the option to request enrollment for an Aeroplan account on this page is currently not available. We’re working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, please visit www.aeroplan.com to enroll in a new Aeroplan account. Once you receive your new Aeroplan account number, you may log in to your Membership Rewards account or call the number on the back of your Card to add your Aeroplan account number.
I'm slightly confused... she's had both her Amex MR and Aeroplan accounts for years. There is a points balance on the Aeroplan account (we need to top it up to make a booking). Reading the notification, are we supposed to just create a brand new Aeroplan account to enable points transfer? What about the existing one (which I think she'd prefer not to lose, had it for years, etc). Apologies if I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

I'm concerned that we may end up missing out on the seats in question. Am I right in thinking that I could book the tickets (for her and Little Miss Sofasurfer) on my aeroplan account (assuming I can do a points transfer from my amex account... again, can't recall if/when I last did that, but can try and check later). It won't make a difference if I'm not flying with them, right? (I'm 95% sure this is OK, pretty sure I've done it for other programs, can't recall if I have done so for AP).

Thanks in advance for any help (and bearing with the embarrassing n00b-eqsue question! I'm kind of rusty).
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: hahaha
It may be residual to the Aeroplan log-in upgrades that were performed recently. What happens when you scroll down from the transfer points page (where you see this notification) and try to enroll/add another account?

(although I was fairly sure we had done this some time ago - although I'm not 100% sure)
Under "Section 1. Account Info" on the left side of the screen, you would see if you've ever linked your wife's MR account with Aeroplan (green polygon). Ignore the yellow highlights (though I did see the same error you got where the orange banner currently is!)

In my opinion (and beware that this is an educated guess), to summarize the wording on the notification you're receiving it would be:
  1. If you never had an Aeroplan account, this screen could create a new account for you on the spot
  2. Right now Amex isn't offering that, do it on Aeroplan.com instead
  3. Then come back here and link it to Amex MR

To add on to the discussion, I'm having trouble with Step (3) in recent days.

I've been trying the last two weeks to add an Aeroplan account to also do an MR transfer. Doing so (clicking the link in the green polygon above) had always failed and resulted in this error:

Unfortunately it is not possible to add a partner account at this time. Please try to add a partner account at another time or call Customer Service for assistance
...as you see above. Not having had time to call in recently, I would just keep coming back every few days and attempt to add the Aeroplan account so that it might work.

Sorry my response didn't really provide help, but just wanted to let you know you're not the only one with MR transfer issues recently.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Thanks, @asovse1 - I think you may be on to something re. the Aeroplan update issues.

Reassuring to know that it's not just me having MR transfer issues, but frustrating to see availability dry up before my eyes due to being unable to transfer points across and pull the trigger :/
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
Thanks, @asovse1 - I think you may be on to something re. the Aeroplan update issues.

Reassuring to know that it's not just me having MR transfer issues, but frustrating to see availability dry up before my eyes due to being unable to transfer points across and pull the trigger :/

Any recent data points on this issue? i anticipate a transfer in the next few days but only if there is little or no possibility of the transfer getting hung up in the ether.

thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:55 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I think they mean the capacity to create a new account via the amex transfer portal is disabled or that is how I read it

I set up a new amex with my existing AE account 2 days ago and transfer was quasi-instant as usual.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
thanks. must work on my reading comprehension.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.