Help needed: Flight back from SYD on J/F

Old Sep 22, 19, 5:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 107
Help needed: Flight back from SYD on J/F

Hello,

Looking for 2 J or F tickets for from SYD around Jan 6th -10th. End destination is Europe (Malaga) but I can't find anything that gets me to the major hubs (SIN, BKK, PEK, PVG, NRT,...)

Anyone has any ideas? So many options I might have missed something. Thanks guys, really in a bind here...
spartac is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 11:03 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,112
Originally Posted by spartac View Post
Hello,

Looking for 2 J or F tickets for from SYD around Jan 6th -10th. End destination is Europe (Malaga) but I can't find anything that gets me to the major hubs (SIN, BKK, PEK, PVG, NRT,...)

Anyone has any ideas? So many options I might have missed something. Thanks guys, really in a bind here...
@spartac
I notice your post had 224 views but no one replied.

Here are my questions and they really are about missing information in your post:

1. You did not specify if you are looking for paid tickets or Aeroplan tickets. This matters of course. I assume Aeroplan.

2. You did not specify if this is one-way Sydney to Malaga, but I'm assuming it is.

3. When you say you can't find anything that gets you to the major hubs, did you mean SYD to hubs like BKK, SIN etc? I assume yes.
Did you also mean a major Asian/SE Asian hub to a European hub as well?

4. Where exactly did you search and what did you find?

5. Jan 6-10 can easily be high season depending on routing and many have already bought their award flights. Some other inventory may open closer to departure. Or you may have to be creative about your routing and/or the possibility of segments in Y.

I assume others here will/would have additional questions or perhaps suggestions, but I find it difficult to offer you anything substantive as info is missing.
.
24left is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 11:16 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,720
11th has 2F on SYD-PEK-FRA-LIS-AGP, but you dont get there until the 13th.

There are also some seats on CBR-SIN in Y - and onwards in J during the week (SIN-CAN-IST-AGP was one that came up)
rankourabu is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 11:26 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,112
@spartac

A helpful post:

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
11th has 2F on SYD-PEK-FRA-LIS-AGP, but you dont get there until the 13th.

There are also some seats on CBR-SIN in Y - and onwards in J during the week (SIN-CAN-IST-AGP was one that came up)
24left is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 6:37 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 107
Thanks Guys for getting back to me, appreciated! Yes I did see the two Fs on the 11th but it's unfortunately too late (but BIG thanks for doing the research!). I tried different Airports but wasn't aware of CBR so that's super helpful.

Let me get to the questions:
1- Yes, I'm looking for Award Tickets with Aeroplan
2- Yes, it's a one way SYD-AAGP, as I already found AGP-SYD. This being said If I need to stop somewhere (say SIN or BKK or...) for a day or so to catch the corresponding flight in J or F I can do it. (i.e. make it a round trip ticket which allows stop over)
3- The real difficulty is finding ANY J or F out of SYD to the major connecting Hunbs (BKK, SIN, ICN, PEK,...). I was able to find some J availability between SE Asians Hubs and Europe. No F in sight anywhere though
4- I'm searching Expert Flyer. But it's my first time so I'm learning that sometimes you still need to spell it out for the tool to find a route. And I could be not looking at some connections...

Does anyone know if LX, LH, SQ or TG opens any F and how close to departure? Any routes that have more potential to get F openings? I am looking right now at some PVG-MUC routes, knowing that SOMETIMES LH opens an F 14 days prior.

Thanks again
spartac is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 6:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 6,088
Does it have to be SYD? What about BNE, MEL, or AKL, for example? Could you get yourself to one of those on a revenue ticket and then go Aeroplan from there?
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 7:22 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 107
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Does it have to be SYD? What about BNE, MEL, or AKL, for example? Could you get yourself to one of those on a revenue ticket and then go Aeroplan from there?
I actually do have one option on J, but not from SYD. The advantage of SYD is that I'm contemplating a stop-over and it'll have to be the same arrival and departure city (the freshly painful new AP rules...)
spartac is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 9:54 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,230
Originally Posted by spartac View Post
Looking for 2 J or F tickets for from SYD around Jan 6th -10th. End destination is Europe (Malaga) but I can't find anything that gets me to the major hubs (SIN, BKK, PEK, PVG, NRT,...)

Anyone has any ideas? So many options I might have missed something. Thanks guys, really in a bind here...
Originally Posted by spartac View Post
Thanks Guys for getting back to me, appreciated! Yes I did see the two Fs on the 11th but it's unfortunately too late (but BIG thanks for doing the research!). I tried different Airports but wasn't aware of CBR so that's super helpful.

Let me get to the questions:
1- Yes, I'm looking for Award Tickets with Aeroplan
2- Yes, it's a one way SYD-AAGP, as I already found AGP-SYD. This being said If I need to stop somewhere (say SIN or BKK or...) for a day or so to catch the corresponding flight in J or F I can do it. (i.e. make it a round trip ticket which allows stop over)
3- The real difficulty is finding ANY J or F out of SYD to the major connecting Hubs (BKK, SIN, ICN, PEK,...). I was able to find some J availability between SE Asians Hubs and Europe. No F in sight anywhere though
4- I'm searching Expert Flyer. But it's my first time so I'm learning that sometimes you still need to spell it out for the tool to find a route. And I could be not looking at some connections...

Does anyone know if LX, LH, SQ or TG opens any F and how close to departure? Any routes that have more potential to get F openings? I am looking right now at some PVG-MUC routes, knowing that SOMETIMES LH opens an F 14 days prior.
You are wanting seats at peak time. Monday 6 Jan to Friday 10 Jan. People wanting awards just after the Christmas - New Year holiday will have booked a long time ago, if available. And some people flying for business(work) will start fly that week. Not many the week before.

Have read SQ never release F awards to partners.
Some flights/aircraft will not have F.
Some people have success with TG.
As above look at MEL or BNE. Beggars can't be choosers

This lists airlines & routes from SYD. May not be up to date. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Airport

SQ flys CBR SIN. SYD CBR a short flight on various airlines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canberra_Airport
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 10:24 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,112
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
You are wanting seats at peak time. Monday 6 Jan to Friday 10 Jan. People wanting awards just after the Christmas - New Year holiday will have booked a long time ago, if available. And some people flying for business(work) will start fly that week. Not many the week before.
......


.....which I posted upthread

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
......

5. Jan 6-10 can easily be high season depending on routing and many have already bought their award flights. Some other inventory may open closer to departure. Or you may have to be creative about your routing and/or the possibility of segments in Y.
......
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
.....

Have read SQ never release F awards to partners........
They do not release long-haul F to airline partners but they do release it to certain bank partners. They certainly release regional F as I flew F Suites SIN-AKL on the 380 last November as part of a 6 sector RTW. However, a number of months ago, there were quite a few long-hauls on Aeroplan and although many or most may not have been bookable, some were.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
.....
Some flights/aircraft will not have F.....
Right. As we all know, many airlines - not just *A - ordered and now have new aircraft with no F. Some have J and Y, others have J, PE/PY and Y. (examples: NH new B789s designed for regional Asia. I wondered why I did not see crew bunks and it was explained that these aircraft were for flights under 8 hours so crew bunks not needed. I flew BR's brand new B789 and they had a similar set-up.)

I flew SQ BNE-SIN-BNE 2 years ago and it was my first flight on their new A359. No F of course.
.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 22, 19 at 11:07 pm Reason: spelling
24left is offline  
Old Sep 25, 19, 5:06 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 107
Useful feedback. Thanks all.
spartac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread