Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

UA award on AC operated flight - free checked baggage or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I used United Mileage miles to book for Air Canada flight from YVR to YYZ round trip. In the email of the itinerary it says free first checked baggage.
However, when I checked the cash price of the flight it's only free 1 carry on. The checked baggage costs money.
Can someone please let me know if it's actually free 1st checked baggage? Thank you.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, kalu0922

The bag situation will be determined by AC, not UA.
Award and cash tickets can have different bag rules.

This is a better question for the Air Canada Forum, so will move it there for the local experts
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If your itinerary says first free, I'd presume that means first free. AC for sure sells tickets excluding checked bags, and also including them. Or free because status, or credit card, or other reasons.

If your itinerary says one free, that's that.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:09 pm

I actually have the same issue. Posted here, with some helpful answers

Booked United {codeshare on AC} to Montreal on UA - No Miles?, No PresPlus free bag?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by kalu0922
I used United Mileage miles to book for Air Canada flight from YVR to YYZ round trip. In the email of the itinerary it says free first checked baggage.
However, when I checked the cash price of the flight it's only free 1 carry on. The checked baggage costs money.
Can someone please let me know if it's actually free 1st checked baggage? Thank you.
If you have Star Alliance status with your frequent flyer program then you should get a free bag. Flying in business class also gets you a free bag. If it does not automatically do this then at the counter an agent should be able to suppress the charges.

If you have a ticket that says you should get a free bag, even if you don't qualify for a free bag I would go in with the perspective that that is the airlines internal problem or some problem between AC and United. I would just show the checkin agent the ticket and ask for it. They should be able to remove the charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.