FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC Metal Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1986991-ac-metal-question.html)

Swiftler Sep 12, 2019 7:03 am

AC Metal Question

Hi Folks,

I have an important 3 multi-city business trip in the States, Here are the flights I'm looking at - all in Business Class:
  • Flight 1
    • AC 706
    • YYZ - LGA
    • 10 AM - 11:26 AM
  • Flight 2
    • UA 240
    • EWR - LAX
    • 7 AM - 9:45 AM
  • Flight 3
    • AC 792
    • LAX - YYZ
    • 11:45 AM - 7:15 PM
I called the AC Reservation line last night and the agent over the phone said she can't even allow booking Flight 2 because it is UA. She recommended me to purchase seperate tickets for these flights. Why is it that I can book on UA Metal via the UA website and not on AC? Should I go through a travel agency? It costs more to purchase separate tickets.

Much appreciated to help this traveller out.

gokeeper Sep 12, 2019 7:57 am

The agent is not right, I put in a random date and it can be issued under AC stock.

Code:

AL FLGT  BK  DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA  BG                   
 YTO                                                                           
 NYC AC  706 P    11NOV 1010  PT21EL          11NOV11NOV 2P                   
 LAX UA  240 P    13NOV 0700  VAP30UPN        13NOV13NOV 2P                   
 YTO AC  792 P    20NOV 1145  P45EL          20NOV20NOV 2P                   

CAD  2785.75      11NOV19YTO AC NYC253.65UA LAX Q93.02                         
                  599.07AC YTO Q237.79 919.48NUC2103.01END                     
CAD    12.10-CA  ROE1.324650                                                 
CAD  139.89-XG  XT CAD 5.21-XA CAD 9.22-XY CAD 7.60-YC CAD                   
CAD  119.92-XT  24.49-US CAD 24.49-US CAD 3.25-RC CAD                       
CAD  3057.66      25.00-SQ CAD 14.74-AY CAD 5.92-XF LAX4.50                   
FARE FAMILIES:    (ENTER FQFN FOR DETAILS, FXY FOR UPSELL)                     
FARE FAMILY:FC1:1:EXECLOW                                                     
FARE FAMILY:FC2:2:FIRSTORBUS
FARE FAMILY:FC3:3:EXECLOW                                                     
BG CXR: AC                                                                     
PRICED VC AC - OTHER VC AVAILABLE UA                                           
FARE VALID FOR E TICKET ONLY                                                   
TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE                                                     
ENDOS AC ONLY/NONREF/CHGFEE -BG:AC

Actually UA stock will be $130 cheaper at CAD 2928.28 all in.

flyquiet Sep 12, 2019 8:16 pm

That looks like travel agent witchcraft. I often have to book YYZ-US (stop) US-US (stop) US-YYZ trips and can never do it as a multi city on AC website. The multi city tool on AC website coughs up "It is not possible to search for flights which have both an origin and a destination in the United States." (red font in original.) If I am missing the secret password to making it do it, I'd love to know it.

canadiancow Sep 13, 2019 1:51 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 31519577)
That looks like travel agent witchcraft. I often have to book YYZ-US (stop) US-US (stop) US-YYZ trips and can never do it as a multi city on AC website. The multi city tool on AC website coughs up "It is not possible to search for flights which have both an origin and a destination in the United States." (red font in original.) If I am missing the secret password to making it do it, I'd love to know it.

If you repeatedly try to commit sabotage on AC, you risk repercussions.

If any word in that statement is incorrect, I apologize. I learned it from people who work at the airport.

flyquiet Sep 14, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31520189)
If you repeatedly try to commit sabotage on AC, you risk repercussions.

If any word in that statement is incorrect, I apologize. I learned it from people who work at the airport.

Someone should add the IWATA usage of "sabotage" to the AC forum terminology wiki.

Adam Smith Sep 28, 2019 7:11 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 31517320)
The agent is not right, I put in a random date and it can be issued under AC stock.

[...]

Actually UA stock will be $130 cheaper at CAD 2928.28 all in.

Many UA fares do allow plating on another carrier's stock but include a fee for doing so. US$100 is what I've usually seen - which is right around C$130. But if AQD is important, I can easily see it being worth someone's while to pay it.

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 31519577)

There are many things bookable by AC that can't be searched for on the website. I know you can't phone AC, but you can try using Google Flights or Matrix to push it through online. Or this may be a case where it's worthwhile to pay a TA $50 to book it for you. I believe there are a few who hang out on this board who would understand exactly what you want to accomplish.

flyquiet Sep 28, 2019 11:09 am

I usually just book the two one ways or open-jaw on AC and then separate leg on UA. Would it save me money to book on one ticket? I have never questioned that, actually.

RatherBeInYOW Sep 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 31573428)
I usually just book the two one ways or open-jaw on AC and then separate leg on UA. Would it save me money to book on one ticket? I have never questioned that, actually.

Same, I do a lot of AC open jaw and then book one-ways between cities in the middle.

Sure, no AQD and it may or may not be more expensive, but the real reason to do so is flexibility. If I am flying YOW - X and Y - YOW on AC and then I need to move around my X - Y flight for whatever reason I can do so without screwing around with my entire ticket.

Adam Smith Sep 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet (Post 31573428)

With AC, sometimes it's cheaper to do one-ways rather than round trip. Can depend on fare PoS and taxes. With UA, it usually doesn't matter, because they determine PoS based on your billing address.

Booking it on one ticket, issued by AC, would get you AQD for everything. But also gives you less flexibility (except in limited cases, e.g. that a major schedule change to one flight would likely now allow you to cancel the entire trip, if you so chose). Intrinsically, it's neither right nor wrong.

flyquiet Sep 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Agree - flexibility if the flights are on different dates. I have one upcoming where I know the UA B to C date, but am undecided about the A-B and C-A dates or flights on those dates. Plus, I will book A-B on flight pass and C-A one way purchase ticket, net of a credit amount I need to burn.