Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why does AC prohibit back to back ticketing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does AC prohibit back to back ticketing?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:41 am

Not that it seems to be enforced, but let's say I see a great fare originating in City X to City E and back instead of flying to the same city from my hometown, but to get to/from City X on both side i buy another separate ticket, would that be considered back to back ticketing?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:42 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The issue is more when you buy two tickets and throw away the returns on each
you bought 4 flights
flew only 2
for the sole purpose of lowering the cost had you only bought 1 ticket

If you fly all the segments and show up for all the flights you did nothing wrong (in my 25+ years of experience of dealing with AC's debit memo department)
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WestAust
Not that it seems to be enforced, but let's say I see a great fare originating in City X to City E and back instead of flying to the same city from my hometown, but to get to/from City X on both side i buy another separate ticket, would that be considered back to back ticketing?
That's end on end ticketing.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to canadiancow:
These tickets would be nested, not back to back. Some carriers prohibit one but not the other, while others consider nested tickets to be OK if it's not done to evade minimum stay requirements (as in this example).
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm buying two tickets anyway, and an airline balks at my travel needs, then neither ticket will be bought from that airline.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by rickg523
If I'm buying two tickets anyway, and an airline balks at my travel needs, then neither ticket will be bought from that airline.
FYI many Int. airlines play by the same rules so they aren't AC specific.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
FYI many Int. airlines play by the same rules so they aren't AC specific.
True. And I will meet my travel needs in the example given by using two different carriers if my preferred carrier gives me grief about transporting me according to my needs because their accounting department doesn't like it.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ecaarch
DL's CoC has similar wording. I often do nested tickets, but not for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.

Home-XXX June 1
XXX-YYY June 10
YYY-XXX June 20
XXX-Home June 30.

It is sorta hard for the carrier to argue that my intent was to circumvent rules (because it wasn't) but this is still a (allowable) nested ticket.

Now when doing a nested ticket back to the origination city, as this thread has covered, additional challenges are presented and it may result in a bad outcome. Can you get away with it once? Probably. Would I ever take that chance? No way.
A few years ago now (when they had the silly rules on domestic routes). There was a project at a critical point and the customer was in crisis mode. The setup was two weeks in Toronto, two weeks back home and the pattern repeating itself for four or five months. With about 15 people doing this it not long until some team members were home sick and started to buy tickets to get back for the weekend. The airline started to notice.

The issue in this case is the company and employee in combination would be breaking the rule however both the company and employee were not in isolation.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm going to HEL
... but are you being purgatoried before the weekend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.