Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan and Website Update for September 10, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan and Website Update for September 10, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:32 am

AC 2FA gone?

I went through all kinds of problems with this when they implemented a month ago on the Air Canada Web site, to such a degree that my phone number disappeared, and I could only do via email. A real pain.

For the last while though, it's completely gone from my account and MrsITAG

Did they give up? Others dealing with this?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I went through all kinds of problems with this when they implemented a month ago on the Air Canada Web site, to such a degree that my phone number disappeared, and I could only do via email. A real pain.

For the last while though, it's completely gone from my account and MrsITAG

Did they give up? Others dealing with this?
Mine disappeared more than a week ago.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
AC's IT wasn't ready for the 21st century even after two decades.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've also not been getting bothered by 2FA recently. Perhaps they received a large amount of complaints. I can only speak for myself, but I wrote in to complain about being asked for it nearly every single bloody time. I only got some canned response explaining how wonderful 2FA was and telling me I could learn more on their website, but if enough people wrote in, maybe they scrapped it or dialled it back significantly.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
I was told on the phone that they had "temporarily" disabled it in order to "correct some minor issues", but that it would be back at some point.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kenlor
I was told on the phone that they had "temporarily" disabled it in order to "correct some minor issues", but that it would be back at some point.

Hmmmmm. Just two of AC's other minor issues.

AC issues with Leap year

Autumn time change and Air Canada App
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:45 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Probably because they had a terrible implementation - by the time you got the 2fa token via sms or email (both horrible ways of doing 2fa, but better than nothing) half the time your JWT token would expire, making you need a new code, rinse repeat.
kenlor likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: *G
Notification re evidence of suspicious login activity

We received an email a short while ago stating that:

"While Aeroplan systems have not been compromised and your Aeroplan miles if any, are unaffected, we have however, seen some evidence of suspicious login activity with credentials stolen from various external privacy breaches unrelated to Air Canada or Aeroplan. Rest assured, your Aeroplan account was not accessed.

To keep your Aeroplan account and personal data secure, we require you to reset your password. Your privacy and protection of your data are extremely important to us, which is why we’re requiring you to change your password."

However the first attempt to change the password on the subject account (which had not been updated recently) resulted in a page time-out, and now "the service is temporarily unavailable". The email is not clear as to whether this is specifically directed at this one account, or is a general notification.

Anyone else receive this - or had success in dealing with it?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fin 645
We received an email a short while ago stating that:

"While Aeroplan systems have not been compromised and your Aeroplan miles if any, are unaffected, we have however, seen some evidence of suspicious login activity with credentials stolen from various external privacy breaches unrelated to Air Canada or Aeroplan. Rest assured, your Aeroplan account was not accessed.

To keep your Aeroplan account and personal data secure, we require you to reset your password. Your privacy and protection of your data are extremely important to us, which is why we’re requiring you to change your password."

However the first attempt to change the password on the subject account (which had not been updated recently) resulted in a page time-out, and now "the service is temporarily unavailable". The email is not clear as to whether this is specifically directed at this one account, or is a general notification.

Anyone else receive this - or had success in dealing with it?

I posted this the other day so ... maybe they have an issue

Originally Posted by 24left
Thanks to @j2simpso for the heads up

Source thread post 120: Aeroplan and Website Update for September 10, 2019
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:11 pm

Thanks to @j2simpso for the heads up

Thanks to 24left for pointing this out on the 2FA issues thread. But since we received one of these emails today, trying to follow the instructions has proved pointless - the website has been either "unavailable" or times out. And now it's saying that there have been too many attempts to change the password and to call in. Can't win.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Thanks to 24left for pointing this out on the 2FA issues thread. But since we received one of these emails today, trying to follow the instructions has proved pointless - the website has been either "unavailable" or times out. And now it's saying that there have been too many attempts to change the password and to call in. Can't win.
@fin 645

Right, because with AC/Aeroplan, telling a customer there may be a problem, perhaps letting them know a possible solution, is VERY different from something that actually works. And sorry to hear of your hassles.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:25 am

@fin 645

Right, because with AC/Aeroplan, telling a customer there may be a problem, perhaps letting them know a possible solution, is VERY different from something that actually works. And sorry to hear of your hassles.
Talk about a Catch 22. In trying to follow the emailed instructions to change the password, and still getting the message that there have been too many attempts online and to phone, calling results in the "we're getting too many calls and cannot talk to you - hang up and call later" message. What a farce.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:55 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Talk about a Catch 22. In trying to follow the emailed instructions to change the password, and still getting the message that there have been too many attempts online and to phone, calling results in the "we're getting too many calls and cannot talk to you - hang up and call later" message. What a farce.
Successfully negotiating that mess should be worth a special hidden badge for EYW. The 'Expert Navigator' badge maybe?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Successfully negotiating that mess should be worth a special hidden badge for EYW. The 'Expert Navigator' badge maybe?
After 24 hours of occasional and futile attempts to update the password, I tried the link in the email and voila, it all worked easily. But why all the aggravation??
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:42 pm

Aeroplan website and call centre unavailable

When attempting to book on the Aeroplan website:
Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Via the call centre: 1-800 line drops call immediately without answering. 514 number has a recording that they are unable to accept calls due to higher than normal call volume.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.