FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Tight Connection to TPAC Flight - Same Day Change Options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1986245-tight-connection-tpac-flight-same-day-change-options.html)

jcamp028 Sep 6, 2019 6:44 pm

Tight Connection to TPAC Flight - Same Day Change Options

Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Asia in just over a week. On the way there, my routing is as follows:

YOW-YUL (AC Economy - Booking shows Y class), YUL-NRT (AC Business, P Class), NRT-SIN (NH Business, P Class).

I have a short connection of something like 42 minutes in YUL. Unfortunately, the frequency between YOW and YUL isn't the greatest and when booking, I was unable to commit to taking the earlier connecting flight which left at around 8am.

There are a couple comparable routings with the TPAC portion on AC which will end up getting me into SIN just a bit later than my original itinerary (YYZ-HND and YYZ-ICN). The upgraded frequency between YOW and YYZ would allow me to build in a bit more of a buffer in case of a late flight.

On the travel day, would AC be fine with just changing my routing without added fees even if my first flight looks like its running on time? I've seen some posts lately about shortage of staff in YUL causing ramp/deplaning delays. The YUL-NRT flight seems to be one of the later AC TPAC flights of the day and I don't want to end up stuck in YUL (I realize routing via Europe would also be possible if things go sideways, but I'd lose a good amount of time).

No checked bags.

RatherBeInYOW Sep 6, 2019 7:20 pm

AC is unlikely to route you via YYZ just because, assuming everything else is on time and you are not going to obviously misconnect.

FWIW, last time I connected in to YUL from YOW the inbound was 30 mins late, then we waited 40 minutes on the ground for a gate at the Jazz satellite terminal building, just idling around in a DH3, because ramp crew were apparently not happening. I had to sprint so hard to make my TATL that I was soaked like I came out of a shower. I decided YUL could take a break for a while - it is on the "only if I am already there / take the train" bucket until AC can figure out a way to make flying YOW-YUL faster than driving.

Hopefully you'll have better luck.

eigenvector Sep 6, 2019 7:58 pm

Same day changes are possible, but we need to know your specific fare rules to know the applicable fees and restrictions. International P fares generally have free SDC. My impression is that the definition of 'SDC' as applied by Air Canada on domestic/TB is that it requires that all flights be operated by AC, but I don't have experience with this on international itineraries. This means that rerouting via ICN or HND as an SDC may be off the table.

Once you misconnect or misconnection seems very likely, pretty much anything is fair game.

My first thought is why not try to SDC to an earlier YOW-YUL flight to pad out your connection time? Then you don't need to touch the NH flight.

RatherBeInYOW Sep 6, 2019 8:18 pm

Yes, good point. Unlikely ... unless you are flying on a fare that allows free changes.

SDC on to an earlier YOW-YUL flight probably means giving up a ton of time; IIRC there are a few early morning flights ending with one around 8am, and then the next flight is like noon. Hanging out in YUL INTL probably better than a risky connection though.

jcamp028 Sep 6, 2019 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 31499260)
Same day changes are possible, but we need to know your specific fare rules to know the applicable fees and restrictions. International P fares generally have free SDC. My impression is that the definition of 'SDC' as applied by Air Canada on domestic/TB is that it requires that all flights be operated by AC, but I don't have experience with this on international itineraries. This means that rerouting via ICN or HND as an SDC may be off the table.

Once you misconnect or misconnection seems very likely, pretty much anything is fair game.

My first thought is why not try to SDC to an earlier YOW-YUL flight to pad out your connection time? Then you don't need to touch the NH flight.

Am not able to take the earlier one (it's around 8am) as I have a prior engagement. The next flight is the one I'm on at 11:40am..

SparseFlyer Sep 7, 2019 3:28 pm

OP said going to SIN and mentioned connecting NRT/HND/ICN.

Since AC will not change your OAL flight as SDC, I think it's safe to say your only option is to fly out of YOW earlier and /thread.

canadiancow Sep 7, 2019 3:29 pm

Maybe there's a YVR or YYZ option to NRT? I'm not super familiar with those schedules though.

SparseFlyer Sep 7, 2019 3:36 pm

There's most likely a YOWYVR scheduled that connects to TPACs. And I wouldn't be surprised if it connects nicely with whatever AC5 is connecting to.Regardless, to connect correctly with the TPACs it probably leaves early .which means might as well connect earlier to YUL.

Unsure what's the best strategy, but I know FT is pretty divided between "maximizing the long haul" vs "cutting the trip".

StuMcIlwain Sep 7, 2019 4:20 pm

It is very unlikely that AC will allow you to change your routing on another airline at no charge if your YOW-YUL flight is showing ontime. It can be a struggle even when it is obvious that the first flight will be late. And there are no other flight options on AC from YOW to NRT at that time of day.

Your choices are: cancel your engagement and take the earlier flight to YUL, pay the fee to change the ticket (if possible), or take the not insignificant risk of arriving in SIN 24 hours late.

canadiancow Sep 7, 2019 8:15 pm

There's a 9am YOW-YYZ-YUL-NRT that gets you to YUL a bit earlier than the YOW-YUL.

There's an 845am YOW-YVR-NRT that arrives 35 minutes later in NRT.

I really don't see any other options, and unless the 45 minutes REALLY makes a difference to you, the 815 to YUL is probably best.

Or the current flight.

jcamp028 Sep 8, 2019 6:30 am

Is the YOW concierge usually stationed in the MLL? If I end up getting advanced notice that the YOW-YUL will be delayed, I can ask for changed routing via any *A partner airlines, correct?

RatherBeInYOW Sep 8, 2019 9:23 am

Originally Posted by jcamp028 (Post 31503134)
Is the YOW concierge usually stationed in the MLL? If I end up getting advanced notice that the YOW-YUL will be delayed, I can ask for changed routing via any *A partner airlines, correct?

Not usually, but sometimes, But regardless, I've had no issue in YOW having both the SE check-in agents and the lounge agents do re-routing for me when things go sideways.

SparseFlyer Sep 8, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jcamp028 (Post 31503134)

The moment your flight is delayed and you go under MCT, it's IROP and IROP rules apply. So yes.

Aspan Sep 9, 2019 3:02 pm

Just made a booking with AC to SIN last night for 2 weeks out. Due to the HKG situation, did not want a routing through there. Very limited J available via NRT, ICN or TPE and almost nothing on the return unless you are willing to pay 8K or more r/t.