Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Prestige 25K LGA-YYZ standby for earlier flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan

Hi all,

Apologies if my questions has been answered before somewhere (if so I can't track it down). I find AC to be super vague on upgrades, and an agent I once asked was evasive and vague. So: I am Prestige 25K flying regularly between YYZ and LGA. Can I go on standby for an earlier flight from LGA to YYZ at the airport without paying the change fee?

Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
What is your fare type? I don't believe P25K allows same-day stand-by, but it really depends on the agent.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi thanks for your reply!

Fare type is consistently economy-standard. I thought for some reason that flights between LGA and YYZ were eligible for stand-by regardless of status. I guess I was dreaming in technicolor...!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
No, you weren't, same day standby is available YYS to/from LGA: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...to-the-us.html

As long as you are not on a basic fare you can same day standby. Your status will help determine standby priority, that's it.
Flying Academic likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
You can also standby for YYZ-EWR on a YYZ-LGA ticket and vice-versa, which can be handy sometimes.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Flying Academic
Hi thanks for your reply!

Fare type is consistently economy-standard. I thought for some reason that flights between LGA and YYZ were eligible for stand-by regardless of status. I guess I was dreaming in technicolor...!
@RatherBeInYOW has it right! I wasn't sure if LGA was included in the "triangle" that allows same-day standby.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input and help! So kind of you all.

One last question: do I talk to the agents at the check-in desk outside security, or do I just let the gate agents know?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

One last question: do I talk to the agents at the check-in desk outside security, or do I just let the gate agents know?
The TA outside security. You'll be added to the list then, and can see it on the app. The gate agent would actually process the list, later.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! This made my day
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I find AC to be super vague on upgrades, and an agent I once asked was evasive and vague.
I really do think this is from a lack of training on ACs part. I often get the feeling when talking with an agent that I know the rules better than they do. But that cannot be - they work at the airport right?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The TA outside security. You'll be added to the list then, and can see it on the app. The gate agent would actually process the list, later.
Not sure about YYZ but YUL to LGA this weekend I was able to standby (though the confirmation was immediate due to an equipment upgauge on the desired flight) with no charge on a regular economy ticket. I did it at customer service by the gate area, past security and US customs without informing checkin agents or anyone else. No status and no checked bags.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Not sure about YYZ but YUL to LGA this weekend I was able to standby (though the confirmation was immediate due to an equipment upgauge on the desired flight) with no charge on a regular economy ticket. I did it at customer service by the gate area, past security and US customs without informing checkin agents or anyone else. No status and no checked bags.
You can make the standby request when you check in online, landside, airside ... that doesn't really matter.

As per the link I posted above "For flights between Toronto Pearson and JFK, LaGuardia and Newark airports" ... so YUL is not supposed to allow a free standby.

That being said I frequently see agents bend things a bit when it makes sense for Air Canada. Rapidair free standby for example applies YYZ-YOW and YYZ-YUL but technically not YUL-YOW ... but I've never had an issue standing by on an earlier flight on fares that would normally not allow it.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
You can make the standby request when you check in online, landside, airside ... that doesn't really matter.

As per the link I posted above "For flights between Toronto Pearson and JFK, LaGuardia and Newark airports" ... so YUL is not supposed to allow a free standby.

That being said I frequently see agents bend things a bit when it makes sense for Air Canada. Rapidair free standby for example applies YYZ-YOW and YYZ-YUL but technically not YUL-YOW ... but I've never had an issue standing by on an earlier flight on fares that would normally not allow it.
When looking at my confirmation that I received upon booking, I see the following. It was also shown in the AC app for my booking. Perhaps the site needs to be updated or there was a change after I booked.

Same-day standby at the airport is available: on flights between Toronto and Montréal or Ottawa, on flights between
Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, as well as on flights between Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and LaGuardia (LGA), John F.
Kennedy (JFK) or Newark (EWR) airports (connecting flights excluded).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.