Eupgrade for three passengers?

Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Eupgrade for three passengers?

I will likely be traveling HKG - YYZ on a revenue business class ticket. Three other friends will be traveling on the same flight. Passenger 1 is E75K (flying in PE); Passenger 2 does not have status with AC (flying in PE); and Passenger 3 also does not have status with AC (flying in Flex). I would like to upgrade all three passengers, and I have the required eupgrade credits. How do I do this?
I will make Pax 1 my nominee, and request for upgrade at T-7. How do I upgrade the other two passengers? Call the concierge? at gate at HKG? Thoughts?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
As far as I am aware you don't. You've got your nominee, that's it. Everyone else either uses their own eUps, LMUs, etc.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
As far as I am aware you don't. You've got your nominee, that's it. Everyone else either uses their own eUps, LMUs, etc.
What? I can't upgrade passengers at the airport?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Do not make the E75K your nominee. They will be much higher on the list at the gate due to cabin and status. Arguably I'd make the no-status Flex the nominee so they can clear into R space at T-7, and the others will be above the SEMM in full Y at the gate.

I have successfully had the concierge put three same-flight different-PNR companions on the list once, but I was told "it's only supposed to be one". I don't understand why that would be a rule if I have the credits, but meh. And it doesn't seem like a system limitation, so if you do one via email and the other at the airport, I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.

The phrasing on AC is "You can also request an upgrade for a Travel Companion who is on the same flight as you but not on the same reservation, but such requests must be completed at the airport on the day of departure." Emphasis mine.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Of course, all of that assumes there is 'R' space available (or just J seats available at the gate).

The recent turmoil in HKG may have affected the loads, so perhaps you'll be ok .... but historically, HKG-YYZ is a flight that's been filled to capacity in J. I agree with @canadiancow's suggestions above in terms of process & getting on the list, but it's far from a certainty that there will be space to upgrade all of you.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do not make the E75K your nominee. They will be much higher on the list at the gate due to cabin and status. Arguably I'd make the no-status Flex the nominee so they can clear into R space at T-7, and the others will be above the SEMM in full Y at the gate.

I have successfully had the concierge put three same-flight different-PNR companions on the list once, but I was told "it's only supposed to be one". I don't understand why that would be a rule if I have the credits, but meh. And it doesn't seem like a system limitation, so if you do one via email and the other at the airport, I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.

The phrasing on AC is "You can also request an upgrade for a Travel Companion who is on the same flight as you but not on the same reservation, but such requests must be completed at the airport on the day of departure." Emphasis mine.
I thought that person had to be your nominee as well, so TIL.

But I am pretty sure it isn't supposed to be 3 people. Maybe the concierge will do it for you, but when I've inquired about the possibility the answer is no.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:00 pm

If it helps, I've once traveled YYZ-YVR with my parents, neither of them had any status. I put one in the same reservation with me and requested eUPs and then another on a different reservation and requested eUP at check-in as a travel companion. Successfully upgraded both and myself
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fafafayfay
If it helps, I've once traveled YYZ-YVR with my parents, neither of them had any status. I put one in the same reservation with me and requested eUPs and then another on a different reservation and requested eUP at check-in as a travel companion. Successfully upgraded both and myself
Yeah, it's within the rules to upgrade 3 people.

Given the tickets are already booked, it's only within the rules to upgrade 2.

But I suspect it will be possible to list all 3.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
It is within the rules to upgrade 3 people including yourself.

In this case, with a paid business class ticket, the best you can hope for it to make one your nominee, and seek to upgrade one of the others as a travelling companion.

Seems like you are out of luck for the 3rd, unless you can persuade a concierge to make an exception.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.