Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

To use or not eUps; how to know if upgrade likely?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To use or not eUps; how to know if upgrade likely?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
I can't spend $ as it is business travel, so sometimes only PY is available for waitlist.
Don't you mean you can't spend your employer's $? Surely you can spend your own $. Whether it's worth it to you is of course another question.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Chances to J seem ok for now since it is J9 R6. O is slim as it is down to O3 now.
Curious: you say "O is slim" - but aren't there often a few O pax trying to upgrade to J, and if they succeed, won't OP have a decent shot at O?
JordanYVR likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Don't you mean you can't spend your employer's $? Surely you can spend your own $. Whether it's worth it to you is of course another question.
Yes exactly that.

$500 for GRU would be worth it to spend on my dine as the flight is brutal when you go direct to work on Monday noon, but for GVA not really.

Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Curious: you say "O is slim" - but aren't there often a few O pax trying to upgrade to J, and if they succeed, won't OP have a decent shot at O?
That is what happened last week I got to PY because a few went up to J
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
What economy fare class are you purchasing? Full Y/B-fares offer a lot more flexibility into available O / R / P-classes if those are available.

Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
What economy fare class are you purchasing? Full Y/B-fares offer a lot more flexibility into available O / R / P-classes if those are available.

OP said:

Thanks for being patient as I make rookie FT mistakes. I can't find a single letter fare class J Y etc. From eticket:

Fare for GVA is
​ outbound VHX4RCE/8N15 return VKW4RCE/8N15

Fare for GRU is outbound H0LWB/8N15 return Q7LWB/8N15

Last flight (last Friday) I had no copay to waitlist for J (missed by one person) my class was Y0WBO/8N27
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC MM+
You can count on me for leaving a seat in O fare open as I move on up to J.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: E75K
Being 75K, I always eUp to O on TATL flights since no payment needed.

2 for 2 this summer, I have then been upgraded to J at the gate.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by thaddaeus

To be clear, you intentionally eUp to O (because one cannot attempt to eUpgrade to both O and J simultaneously), and then you get opupped to J (because one cannot doubly eUpgrade to O and then again eUpgrade to J from the eUpgraded O). Correct?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thaddaeus

How does that work?

You clear O upgrade through eUps, then you ask politely for J at counter or gate?

I only got once a free J upgrade from the counter and it's because I tried upgrading from the app (didn't see the difference between app and eUps website as I was on a very poor connection) and could not see what the charge would be if I got J, at the counter they couldn't find it so at one point they said f-it and put me in J free (was almost empty anyway)

The next time (same flight), I was not on any list, and the flight was oversold. They put me in O but bumped random Y class passengers in J and O (the couple just before me was split J and O and were not status or anything). I was kind of jealous that I didn't get J But I was glad someone got to experience it. In quite a lot of flying I had never been in J before. Once you start getting O and J seats, you really don't enjoy Y for long (esp. overnight) hauls.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does that work?

You clear O upgrade through eUps, then you ask politely for J at counter or gate?
It was most likely an op-up.

I only got once a free J upgrade from the counter and it's because I tried upgrading from the app (didn't see the difference between app and eUps website as I was on a very poor connection) and could not see what the charge would be if I got J, at the counter they couldn't find it so at one point they said f-it and put me in J free (was almost empty anyway)
What was your base fare?

The next time (same flight), I was not on any list, and the flight was oversold. They put me in O but bumped random Y class passengers in J and O (the couple just before me was split J and O and were not status or anything). I was kind of jealous that I didn't get J But I was glad someone got to experience it. In quite a lot of flying I had never been in J before. Once you start getting O and J seats, you really don't enjoy Y for long (esp. overnight) hauls.
How did you know that this was done randomly?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@theBeachBoy

You need to look at this thread for some "reference".

Official Air Canada Upgrade Priority

There may be some outdated items, but the main gist is still there and applies.
theBeachBoy likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

What was your base fare?
I've never looked at fare (except flex, latitude etc) before. My only concern was change fees as I change flights often.
Now that I come here, it's always the first question asked so I always find myself going back to my eTicket
In that case (if I took the correct date) it was V (VHX4RCE)

How did you know that this was done randomly?
It's a guess, not facts.. so likely wrong. as AC must have SOP for that. It was a young couple and they were very surprised to get upgraded. Maybe they had full Y tickets? In the end I was jealous but also happy for them as when I got J a few weeks earlier it was the first time ever in J (even though I travel a ton but company policy was always lowest fare so never got more than E35 once many years ago)
I will read that thread about how upgrades work, I'm in FF 101 course here I love all the knowledge in this forum.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

@theBeachBoy

You need to look at this thread for some "reference".

Official Air Canada Upgrade Priority

There may be some outdated items, but the main gist is still there and applies.
Thanks for that link! I'll go to bed less stupid tonight(verbatim translation of Quebec french saying "j"vais me coucher moins niaiseux ŕ soir")

I didn't know E50 paying full Y would be below SE paying basic Y.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't know E50 paying full Y would be below SE paying basic Y.
Not exactly.

It's E50 paying any PY trumps any SE paying any Y. Cabin wins.
SE paying any Y beats E50 paying any Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.