Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YQ free TATL options for Canada drying up - No new LX or TP availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Been watching Aeroplan availability on YUL-ZRH on LX and YYZ-LIS on TP in both directions for awhile as these were the only seemingly reliable trans-Atlantic routes with no YQ charge. (Yes SN and TK are low YQ but their availability has been very rare for awhile). I've noticed over the past few weeks that these LX & TP routes now also appear to be getting reduced or removed.
LX has been generally releasing space 300 days in advance - this can be seen for various USA routes like JFK and ORD that as of today have departures up to June 30, 2020. The Canadian route YUL-ZRH has been stuck with May 27, 2020 as the furthest future date for some time and ZRH-YUL hasn't moved past June 25, 2020 after stopping adding new dates last week.
TP from US cities has dates into late July 2020 in both directions and releases seats daily 330 days in advance. But YYZ-LIS hasn't had anything past the start of June 2020 and LIS-YYZ has been stuck on July 9, 2020 and nothing released in weeks.
Perhaps route changes are coming, or it's just an odd glitch but for anyone preferring to avoid a US routing and extra legs it's challenging and perhaps not a great sign of things to come.

Last edited by opentag; Sep 3, 2019 at 4:28 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
On many Thursdays/Fridays this summer, I saw LX I inventory on at least 3/4 of YUL/BOS/ORD/EWR-ZRH (also JFK-ZRH, but not very useful for ex-Canada *A award) about a week before departure that stayed open until day of. They release I inventory close to departure if space permits.

The problem with the YUL flight is the awful 16:50 departure time. At least the late flight from BOS gives you a chance at maybe sleeping.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I noticed a similar pattern for next summer. TK released many seats from BOS & IAD. TP was the same. Nothing on either airline from YYZ. Bit the bullet and paid a $100 scam charge from YYZ to IAD to connect to TK.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:07 am

I came here to post this exact thing. Really disconcerting. I've been making LX award bookings for years and have never seen this before...
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
There is always LO for ~$100 YQ.

Weirdly, TP, TK, LX are plentiful ex-usa.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu

Weirdly, TP, TK, LX are plentiful ex-usa.
Care to hazard a guess as to the reason? I agree it's very odd.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gonebabygone
Care to hazard a guess as to the reason? I agree it's very odd.
No AC direct flights!!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:33 pm

I see a good bit of SN availability in November and December out of YYZ.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jcamp028
No AC direct flights!!
Sorry I'm not sure I understand! You're saying LX availability out of YUL is at an alltime low because of a lack of AC flights...?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:23 pm

While I completely understand the preference for advance booking, they are definitely still releasing seats last minute. Just booked YUL-ZRH about 10 days out ... found a seat, tried to cobble my own itin, but it had an illegal connection. Lost the seat while trying to sort out an alternative. Several days later seat opened again (so I booked separately, my version of Vegas?). And now there's another seat open. All J. So it's like they've opted for a slow trickle of unpurchased seats.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gonebabygone
Sorry I'm not sure I understand! You're saying LX availability out of YUL is at an alltime low because of a lack of AC flights...?
I'm positing a conspiracy now that AC owns Aeroplan. More AC flights available with high surcharges as opposed to options without them.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jcamp028
I'm positing a conspiracy now that AC owns Aeroplan. More AC flights available with high surcharges as opposed to options without them.
That would only hold if those flights were available to no-surcharge currencies but not AC.

As it is, even with other currencies, these are not available. I doubt AC calls up LX or TK and tells them to ease off in Canada inventory.
It would be much easier to block, errrr, glitch the inventory like They did with LO, TP, CM, AV, ET, etc
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
About 9 days ago all of the YUL-ZRH space in June vanished. Maybe it was luck of when I was searching and setting up alerts or it was a temporary "glitch", but almost half the days in June had YUL-ZRH space. Next day it was all gone.

As you noted, TONS of space ex-USA, but, classically, hardly ever a decent short-haul from YYZ-BOS/EWR/ORD/IAD.

You get a 6am and you get a 6am and you get a 6am!!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjrobson

As you noted, TONS of space ex-USA, but, classically, hardly ever a decent short-haul from YYZ-BOS/EWR/ORD/IAD.

You get a 6am and you get a 6am and you get a 6am!!
That might be a side effect of the Max issue. Looks like they have been trying to tailor offer closer to demand on these short-haul to free up planes for longer haul domestic. I had two legs to/from BOS switched to an E75 from an E90 last month.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Just popped up from one of my alerts - yul-zrh June 19th... So I think the space will come back over time... Who knows.

Edit:
4 seats BTW..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.