Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

using ExpediaforTD website for Air Canada ticket purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-E50. Marriott Plat

I have accumulated enough points to spend with my TD visa card (the one where you get to spend $50 for every 10000 points), and they suggest to use the ExpediaforTD website to spend this credit. As I understand it, if I buy two tickets from YYZ-HNL by this method, the ExpediaforTD website will select the cheapest fare for me which does not include seat selection or baggage. I am 50K with AC so I would normally be entitled to seat selection and free luggage anyway, so is there any downside (other than not earning 100% points?).

On another note, if I feel like I want to splurge later, once I have bought those tickets, can I call Air Canada and pay to change fare class, for example to Premium Economy?
any tips are welcome, Sorry if answered elsewhere but I was not able to find after searching.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can't you buy it anywhere and have them apply the credit regardless? It's been quite a while since I last had that card, but I'm 99% sure it used to work that way.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

you can do that but you lose $300 ie they only give you $40 per 10000points if you don't use their website, up to first 30,000 points or some such thing...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

So I went through the process on ExpediaforTD and once you choose the flights you want with AC, the Expedia website actually offers the various options like Flex etc so you can choose the level you want. Prices on ExpediaforTD match the prices I researched moments before on AC website.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by dirkster
So I went through the process on ExpediaforTD and once you choose the flights you want with AC, the Expedia website actually offers the various options like Flex etc so you can choose the level you want. Prices on ExpediaforTD match the prices I researched moments before on AC website.
Just be careful. Egencia (the corp version of Expedia) says Standard / Flex / etc. but doesn't always book in to the correct fare class when you select that. So you may get a surprise later and not really be in Flex - check the fare basis if you can but that isn't usually visible properly either in my experience.

One of the many reasons I frequently book direct these days, and let our corp expense people be grumpy with me later when I'm expensing the tickets directly.
YVRYEGYVR likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Just be careful. Egencia (the corp version of Expedia) says Standard / Flex / etc. but doesn't always book in to the correct fare class when you select that. So you may get a surprise later and not really be in Flex - check the fare basis if you can but that isn't usually visible properly either in my experience.
I think that may actually be an Air Canada bug. I have experienced that several times with bookings made directly on the Air Canada website: I book Standard, they even send an email confirmation that says Standard, but in the database it is Basic.

Wherever you book - check your booking on the Air Canada website right away.

As for ExpediaforTD - yes, in many cases you are offered the choice between Basic-Standard-Flex-etc., but not in all. Similar to the Air Canada website, where they don't give you any other option but Basic.

Last edited by sokolov; Sep 4, 2019 at 12:24 am
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
I had the opposite recently. Booked basic for the journey but the return leg was credited as standard.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dirkster
On another note, if I feel like I want to splurge later, once I have bought those tickets, can I call Air Canada and pay to change fare class, for example to Premium Economy?
I've wondered about this too - anyone have any experience trying it? I'm particularly interested in Amex fixed point awards - i.e. maximizing the redemption value in economy and then paying later for PE or business (other than bidding for an upgrade).
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:31 am

I think you'd have to call Expedia for TD if you want to upgrade a ticket booked through them. I understand they don't charge change fees themselves, but they would pass on what Air Canada charges them.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by sokolov
I think you'd have to call Expedia for TD if you want to upgrade a ticket booked through them. I understand they don't charge change fees themselves, but they would pass on what Air Canada charges them.
You would. AC isn't touching that ticket until you've checked in to the first leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.