FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC FAs don't enforce 'carry-on bags must fit under the seat' rules (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1985753-ac-fas-dont-enforce-carry-bags-must-fit-under-seat-rules.html)

eigenvector Sep 3, 2019 10:12 am

AC FAs don't enforce 'carry-on bags must fit under the seat' rules

I flew on AC 311 last night and had a bit of a frustrating experience. The passenger next to me was using an inflatable footrest (basically a giant blow up pillow) which fits between the back of the seat in front and bottom of one's own seat. That is, it completely fills the space where your feet would normally go. It's not a piece of luggage, it doesn't store anything, and is purely for personal comfort. The passenger brought it on the plane fully inflated (in addition to 2 bags) and had it at her feet from boarding through taxi and takeoff. Two AC FAs including the SD looked at it during the pre-flight seatbelt checks and didn't say anything.

What's the point of all the safety announcements and informational videos if FAs don't actually enforce the rules?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...28d6ac7c16.jpg

songsc Sep 3, 2019 10:25 am

Just wondering, was it an exit row? If so considering filing a report.

Other than that, given the I don't give a crap attitude from AC, I doubt anything could be done other than exploring Westjet

Often1 Sep 3, 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 31485960)
I flew on AC 311 last night and had a bit of a frustrating experience. The passenger next to me was using an inflatable footrest (basically a giant blow up pillow) which fits between the back of the seat in front and bottom of one's own seat. That is, it completely fills the space where your feet would normally go. It's not a piece of luggage, it doesn't store anything, and is purely for personal comfort. The passenger brought it on the plane fully inflated (in addition to 2 bags) and had it at her feet from boarding through taxi and takeoff. Two AC FAs including the SD looked at it during the pre-flight seatbelt checks and didn't say anything.

What's the point of all the safety announcements and informational videos if FAs don't actually enforce the rules?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...28d6ac7c16.jpg

What was the SD's response when you specifically brought it to his attention?

eigenvector Sep 3, 2019 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31486160)
What was the SD's response when you specifically brought it to his attention?

I did not. It's my personal policy never to raise any complaints or issue with on-board staff until the end of the flight because while most AC staff are reasonable, it's simply too easy for them to retaliate against me for making a polite complaint. When my flight arrived delayed after 3am in the time zone I arrived from, I didn't have it in me to bring it up to the SD.

vernonc Sep 3, 2019 11:19 am

Is the inflatable footrest not banned ? According to AC Twitter it is not allowed. See link below.
Similar to other crazy stuff like the knee defender ?

Often1 Sep 3, 2019 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 31486187)
I did not. It's my personal policy never to raise any complaints or issue with on-board staff until the end of the flight because while most AC staff are reasonable, it's simply too easy for them to retaliate against me for making a polite complaint. When my flight arrived delayed after 3am in the time zone I arrived from, I didn't have it in me to bring it up to the SD.

This is not a complaint about how many ice cubes there were in your drink. It is a safety issue. That is why it is prohibited.

The reason is quite simple. In an emergency, the item can become dislodged and block others' access to the aisle or from the aisle to an exit.

yyznomad Sep 3, 2019 12:46 pm

On AC, I see this
All.The.Time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

eigenvector Sep 3, 2019 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31486545)
This is not a complaint about how many ice cubes there were in your drink. It is a safety issue. That is why it is prohibited.

The reason is quite simple. In an emergency, the item can become dislodged and block others' access to the aisle or from the aisle to an exit.

I agree, it is a safety issue. And if I had been at the window seat, I wouldn't have let it go. But to be perfectly honest, after not one but two FAs looked directly at the footrest before takeoff and said nothing, I would have had to start a confrontation with the aircraft already taxiing and the seatbelt light illuminated - and there's a good chance that would have ended with me kicked off the flight. It's not like they didn't see it. They saw it and judged it to be acceptable.

It's the cabin crew's job to enforce the rules. If they don't, I'm not starting a debate on the plane about it unless my own safety is at issue, because by questioning their judgement I'm opening the door for them to turn it around on me and say I'm the safety issue because I don't agree with them. And the repercussions that a single FA can levy against a passenger without any cause are immense - and permanent.

Yes, it's selfish. I'm not proud of it. But rationally, I can't come to any other conclusion besides: never disagree with Air Canada cabin crew unless it's a matter of imminent life safety.

WR Cage Sep 3, 2019 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 31486620)
I agree, it is a safety issue. And if I had been at the window seat, I wouldn't have let it go. But to be perfectly honest, after not one but two FAs looked directly at the footrest before takeoff and said nothing, I would have had to start a confrontation with the aircraft already taxiing and the seatbelt light illuminated - and there's a good chance that would have ended with me kicked off the flight. It's not like they didn't see it. They saw it and judged it to be acceptable.

It's the cabin crew's job to enforce the rules. If they don't, I'm not starting a debate on the plane about it unless my own safety is at issue, because by questioning their judgement I'm opening the door for them to turn it around on me and say I'm the safety issue because I don't agree with them. And the repercussions that a single FA can levy against a passenger without any cause are immense - and permanent.

Yes, it's selfish. I'm not proud of it. But rationally, I can't come to any other conclusion besides: never disagree with Air Canada cabin crew unless it's a matter of imminent life safety.

To confirm, the OP had the aisle, the footrest user had the middle, and the window seat was occupied by another individual.

If the above is true, then only the window seat user can raise the safety issue, not the person in aisle seat.

RangerNS Sep 3, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage (Post 31486657)
To confirm, the OP had the aisle, the footrest user had the middle, and the window seat was occupied by another individual.

If the above is true, then only the window seat user can raise the safety issue, not the person in aisle seat.

The companion cube can still pop out and hit anyone in the head.

But in a situation where an inflatable companion cube would get airbone, there would be many other things airborne to worry about.

yyznomad Sep 3, 2019 1:03 pm

Can't anyone raise this?

eigenvector Sep 3, 2019 1:04 pm

That is correct.

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31486684)
The companion cube can still pop out and hit anyone in the head.

But in a situation where an inflatable companion cube would get airbone, there would be many other things airborne to worry about.

My concern is about it blocking access to the aisle, particularly during takeoff and landing. My understanding is that the footwell area needs to be clear during those phases of flight, hence why bags must fit completely under the seat if they are to be stored on the floor of the aircraft.

yyznomad Sep 3, 2019 1:06 pm

Sorry, why can't anyone raise this? Is this a law or regulation on who can and cannot raise such an issue?

Often1 Sep 3, 2019 1:06 pm

Where is that written?

Safety is safety is safety. Not only may anyone raise it, but anyone should.

Moreover, as noted above, the prospect of an item bouncing around in an emergency, e.g. crash, and blocking the aisle or access to exit rows is exactly why the safety requirements apply to all seats, not just the aisle and middle.

AC is not an outlier here. This is fairly clear policy worldwide.

yyznomad Sep 3, 2019 1:08 pm

What if this were an exit row? What am I missing?