Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Delayed for 4.5 hours , given a $10 voucher at an airport with no open restaurants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delayed for 4.5 hours , given a $10 voucher at an airport with no open restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
was about to go to sleep, booked on the 6am to EWR and got a text message cancelled ..

called in and nothing they can do, really pushed for them to rebook me on the 5AM to PHL and from Philadelphia I will catch a train to New York. Only alternative they offered was 2 days later at 10pm.

I've never been to Philadelphia in my life, and honestly hope that they will poney up for the train ticket.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by royal757
was about to go to sleep, booked on the 6am to EWR and got a text message cancelled ..

called in and nothing they can do, really pushed for them to rebook me on the 5AM to PHL and from Philadelphia I will catch a train to New York. Only alternative they offered was 2 days later at 10pm.

I've never been to Philadelphia in my life, and honestly hope that they will poney up for the train ticket.
You should see if you can get them to book you on ZFV-EWR. It's a UA codeshare with Amtrak from Philly: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/374107-united-amtrak-codeshare-faq-including-zfv-philadelphia-28.html

There's a $8 or so (cash only) train from PHL to ZFV
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:42 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Philadelphia is an 'interesting' airport.

The last time I was there, I thought it was possibly the worst airport I had been to in the USA. Here's hoping that's stale info now.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

The last time I was there, I thought it was possibly the worst airport I had been to in the USA. Here's hoping that's stale info now.
Not as of November '18. Place is awful.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Often1
What ought AC to have done?
Operate the flight on time? Or even remotely close to it?

Went through it about a month ago. Sadly, your impression remains valid.

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
+1
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
They actually brought in pizza just now after I called them out on the cert being useless. Glad they did end up feeding us!
Nice! ^

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
If you think PHL is bad for a US airport...
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
The new rules for delays don't come into effect until December 15, but I'm not convinced they'd apply here. The reason for delay is mechanical, and those are expressly excluded

I was thinking of finding a nearby WS pilot and getting them to buy everyone a pizza
Mechanicals are not included in the new rules for delays, ....that makes no sense. just another reason to believe the gummint is in the hands of the corporations and our ex-astronaut minister doesn’t represent the flying public.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Mechanical not included so basically will never have to give compensations.

There is no incentive to have better maintenance, more turnover time, etc.
​​​​​​
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:47 am

it is not that bad, it has a train in the terminal (b) direct to 30th street station where the Amtrak is.
I missed my train to NY by 2 minutes and had to pay 17$ to get on the next one which was 45minutes later. (do you think AC will pony up these train tickets?)

I ended up at my work by 10:30am.
Keep in mind I woke up at 4 for a 5:50am flight from YUL to Philly, took a tram to the city and took the Amtrak to NY Penn then took the subway to work.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by royal757
it is not that bad, it has a train in the terminal (b) direct to 30th street station where the Amtrak is.
I missed my train to NY by 2 minutes and had to pay 17$ to get on the next one which was 45minutes later. (do you think AC will pony up these train tickets?)

I ended up at my work by 10:30am.
Keep in mind I woke up at 4 for a 5:50am flight from YUL to Philly, took a tram to the city and took the Amtrak to NY Penn then took the subway to work.
A standard complaint to get a % off coupon perhaps far easier and potentially more valuable than the $17 reimbursement. AC are like a government, getting a $17 reimbursement is probably far more paperwork than it's worth pursuing.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
A standard complaint to get a % off coupon perhaps far easier and potentially more valuable than the $17 reimbursement. AC are like a government, getting a $17 reimbursement is probably far more paperwork than it's worth pursuing.
a 17$ because I missed the original train. Original train ticket from Philly to New York was 60$ .. so 77$ total.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Saved mine for later

I had a similar experience except that I held on to the voucher for personal travel a few months later. I think the expiry date was a year in the future.

I also pointed out to the GA that $10 wouldn't go far, and he set me up with a second voucher.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WikiShake
I had a similar experience except that I held on to the voucher for personal travel a few months later. I think the expiry date was a year in the future.

I also pointed out to the GA that $10 wouldn't go far, and he set me up with a second voucher.
With this being your first post, Welcome to FT, long time lurker.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've never gotten more than a $20 CAD food voucher for AC delays, and of course the % vouchers that expire within a year.
Their compensation is actually worse than United, shockingly. AC also has horrible irrops recovery.

Most insulting was in YYZ in April when they decided to close the MLL even though the LHR flight was delayed by 5 hours due to a mechanical.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeer0
I've never gotten more than a $20 CAD food voucher for AC delays, and of course the % vouchers that expire within a year.
Their compensation is actually worse than United, shockingly. AC also has horrible irrops recovery.

Most insulting was in YYZ in April when they decided to close the MLL even though the LHR flight was delayed by 5 hours due to a mechanical.
AC is known to keep the MLLs open as long as possible when the last flight out is delayed.
The contract staff and AC staff manning the MLL need to be amenable to it though as there is no obligation to do so. But expecting them to stay up for a flight that is 5-hours delayed is a bit much, IMHO.. but if they stayed an hour or two or so later than closing time, then I'd say that's a bonus for the pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.