Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Are most people getting status with AQM or AQS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are most people getting status with AQM or AQS?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Always AQM for me and usually takes just 6-8 weeks to cross the 100K AQM threshold. Ironically enough, AQD is usually passed sooner.
Average 270K AQM and 67 AQS annually. Highest was 93 AQS a few years ago and looks like 2019 will be my highest AQM at 355K-410K.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:22 am

Frequent browser, first time post.
I make 35K with AQS. Usually hit 42AQS in a year. AQD isn't a problem.
I like life on hard mode.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This year I'm well over on AQM but hardly have any AQS yet. EYW will fix that.

2018: 264k AQM 99 AQS
2017: 195k AQM 77 AQS
2016: 73k AQM 125 AQS
2015: 88k AQM 103 AQS
2014: 117k AQM 106 AQS
2013: 104k AQM 105 AQS
2012: 37k AQM 22 AQS

I started out with AQM, then quickly had both, then the AQM dropped, and now they're both over the thresholds again.

It's amazing what a few paid intercontinental J trips will do to shift the balance from AQS to AQM.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Do you believe AQD has reduced the number of status holders (especially SE)?

It would be fairly "easy" to get 100k AQM with 8 long RT in the year, but to spend $20k means you have to pay over $2.5k each.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:25 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by theBeachBoy
Yes. That was the whole point of it.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:17 pm

It would be fairly "easy" to get 100k AQM with 8 long RT in the year, but to spend $20k means you have to pay over $2.5k each.
I'm in favour of AC moving the benchmark higher to 150K AQM / 140 AQS and $25K AQD for SE qualification. Or doing something like UA (GlobalServices) or AA (Concierge Key) has for those FFers who exceed 200K AQM / 180 AQS and $40K AQD.

Considering that 4 x YYZ-YVR-MEL in J will get you over 100K AQM and would roughly be $40K AQD, it isn't that difficult to easily achieve SE. That raises the question of is someone who potentially only flies 4 times annually in J worthy of the highest frequent flier status?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I'm in favour of AC moving the benchmark higher to 150K AQM / 140 AQS and $25K AQD for SE qualification. Or doing something like UA (GlobalServices) or AA (Concierge Key) has for those FFers who exceed 200K AQM / 180 AQS and $40K AQD.
This sounds like an interesting idea, but what on earth could they give us at that level (200K/$40K) as a meaningful incentive? Unless they claw back current SE benefits that is.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:24 pm

150k AQM and 25k AQD would be the wrong ratio. They want 20cpm for SE. Your change would push for less profitable but more frequent travelers.

A GS-like tier would be interesting, but:

1. The mileage doesn't really matter nearly as much as the spend.
2. The requirements are not published.
3. The spend requirements seem to vary by market. It's much easier to get GS in ATL (a DL hub) than SFO (a "rich" UA hub). AC might not have to worry about that within Canada due to a general lack of competition, though it could actually be beneficial to someone like me who doesn't live in an AC-dominated airport
4. It's not clear to me what they could offer a "GS" that is better than SE but worse than VIP. Maybe expanded reward space in J? "Guaranteed" car transfers in YYZ for D-D and D-I connections?

Also, 200k AQM and 40k AQD is not GS-like. It's just doubling the SE requirements. GS is a high-profit flyer. You don't earn GS flying SFO-EWR round-trip every day in Y. You earn it flying monthly in full J. If SE is 20cpm, expect a GS-like tier to be 50cpm.

Considering that 4 x YYZ-YVR-MEL in J will get you over 100K AQM and would roughly be $40K AQD, it isn't that difficult to easily achieve SE. That raises the question of is someone who potentially only flies 4 times annually in J worthy of the highest frequent flier status?
You're almost suggesting the elimination of AQM, and using just AQS.

A 150 AQS 100k AQM flyer is a more "frequent" flyer than a 8 AQS 100k AQM flyer, but I don't really see that as being relevant. The vast majority of FF programs use some form of qualifying mile as a requirement, and I really don't see it changing.
Adam Smith and asovse1 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
This sounds like an interesting idea, but what on earth could they give us at that level (200K/$40K) as a meaningful incentive? Unless they claw back current SE benefits that is.
What do "dime-a-dozen" SE's wish they had? Apply some of those to the "SE+" qualifiers.
What does UA do for GS qualifiers that 1Ks don't get?
What does AA do for CK qualifiers that EXPs don't get?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
I would be curious to know what type work do you all do? What percentage of your trip is covered by your employer, or other organizations, and what percentage comes out of your own pocket?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:34 pm

What do "dime-a-dozen" SE's wish they had? Apply some of those to the "SE+" qualifiers.
Better reward availability. SS access in I/R class (or all classes, whatever). One guest allowed in SS when I'm paid and they're not.

What does UA do for GS qualifiers that 1Ks don't get?
What does AA do for CK qualifiers that EXPs don't get?
SE IKK is better than GS availability (for reference, I'm currently waitlisted for Y on SFO-EWR from a GS account on a flight that is WIDE open).

GS has better "published" IRROPS protections. "Guaranteed next flight in Y" or something like that. I'm 99% sure AC has an internal policy to overbook flights in Y for SE in IRROPS, but I've definitely had pushback, and I also don't really care about Y.

There's a lot that GS gets that 1K doesn't, but I've been doing a lot of flying with canadiancalf, a GS, on both UA and AC, and aside from the preboarding, there isn't much. The concierge program, regardless of all the complaints, has HUGE benefits over anything a GS has access to. UA phone agents have more access to airport systems, but I can get on a standby list for a full flight by sending an email. GS needs to find an airport agent.

Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
I would be curious to know what type work do you all do? What percentage of your trip is covered by your employer, or other organizations, and what percentage comes out of your own pocket?
​​​​​​​It's been about 95% personal, but with the new job, it's 100% personal. Everything in 2019 has been personal.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I think SS access would be a big one for profitable flyers
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
2018: AQS - P25K - 14K AQM / 27 AQS / $7.1K AQD - Standard fares only plus a little bit of creative routing for AQS
2019: AQM - E50K - 50K AQM / 24 AQS / $7.5k ADD (Estimate by 12/31)- I'm up-faring out of pocket about $1K from standard to flex, comfort or J.
2020: AQM - Longer flights plus up-faring - Estimate E75k

Generally 50/50 flights for work vs personal. 90% of flights on AC. Remaining 10% on Star Alliance. Figured I'm spending about $1k up fairing to get above P25K in 2019. I think it's worth it.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:55 pm

Made 75k from AQS. This is the max i can do from my work, traveling strictly YYZ-YUL, i had 81 AQS but still a way to go for SE AQD
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:00 pm

I think SS access would be a big one for profitable flyers
A reasonable argument for AC is "If you were that profitable you'd already have SS access".
theBeachBoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.