The AC J Look Defined

Old Aug 30, 19, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
The AC J Look Defined

Just having endured 25 hours of flying in J, my judgment is likely impaired, but one comment out of my FT catch-up reading really jumped out (bolding mine):

Originally Posted by ctarolf View Post
I have experienced many comments similar to others at the gate because I don’t sport the J look - basically the polar opposite.
So what do we think the "J Look" entails?

Based on AC promo material I assume a permanent look of smugness as you glide by the rabble must be requirement. But are there others?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC E75K, *G, Fairmont Platinum RIP :(, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz Gold
It’s not as much a look as it is a state of being.
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
....So what do we think the "J Look" entails?.....

The "J Look" I see on YVR-YYZ flights like 116, 118, 186 (when these flight numbers apply to the Big Birds) is different than the J Look I see on AC 15 YYZ-HKG, different than on AC 17 YVR-TPE, different than AC 35 YVR-BNE, and different than what I see on AC 737 YYZ-SFO or AC 791 YYZ-LAX, as examples.

The transcons can definitely have samples of "smug guy" as seen in the AC video for Business Class. Many are in suits having come from work and the often, majority of the cabin pax are men.

AC 15 J has a few men in suits (some of whom change after boarding), and a mixed demographic - women, kids, so the J Look will be more varied. AC 17 is similar but I find a touch more casual. On both these flights I love the J Look kids and babies. AC 3 J Look varies quite a bit, sometimes it's the demographic and seasonal.

AC 35 is a relaxed-looking J (perhaps because the fight departs close to midnight).

AC 737 and 791 are more interesting and sometimes colourful. The J Look includes Suits, hoodies, shorts, t-shirts, bare feet, tiny dogs with rhinestone collars, sunglasses, and cell phones seemingly attached to some of the pax. Sometimes makes for entertaining IFE.

And then there's a completely different class of J Look altogether - hot deadheading pilots.

So to answer @Bohemian1's question "So what do we think the "J Look" entails?", IME, all of the above and probably some things I missed.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:52 pm

Tired and want to get home as soon as possible with the least hassle possible?
mamau and BearX220 like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:05 pm

Some AC check in agents and GA know the answer. They are the ones making the judgement call.

Watching the demographics/attires and behaviours of the passenger onboard and in terminal has been my IFE for years. Most interesting ones being two flights for the same destination departing around the same time, and even next to each other, one is AC, one is another airline.
24left, canadiancow, mamau and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, E50, Priority Club Platinum, SkyMiles, Air Miles
My J look is always Lulu sweats and a dry fit shirt which goes along with “let me sleep on a non-deflated seat”.
EdmFlyBoi and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by ottguy View Post
My J look is always Lulu sweats and a dry fit shirt which goes along with “let me sleep on a non-deflated seat”.
I would echo this. I fly in the most comfortable attire possible. I used to change into it after boarding but have lately just worn it from the get go. On occasion the SD has commented on “how comfortable” I look. For the most part I don’t think it influences service - probably helps that I’m SE.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 12:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
I'm going to change my J look.

I'm going all Tuxy all the time.
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:09 am

How about some common sense? The first impression we give is in our appearance. In a perfect world, we would not "judge" people based upon their wardrobe, their age, size etc., but humans are given to natural prejudice and are still influenced by their own behavior patterns including sexual desires.
know and accept that I will be treated less warmly than a buff well dressed male with a smiling face. Beauty and a dynamic personality - the zing of the package does make a difference. However, I also know that i can compensate for the disadvantage because I am pretty good at charming frumpy tired middle aged women, who are in about 75% of my AC personnel interactions. I force myself to make eye contact, and smile. Some people have the look that AC personnel prefer to avoid. This isn't unusual, as we do it all the time when we look at someone and say, ugh, I'm glad I don't have to live or work with that.

The takeaway is that if one is physically unappealing, one should take steps to compensate. Clothes make a difference. Beautiful, fit people don't have to make much effort. Unattractive people have to try harder. I make an effort to dress with a bit of style. If one is obese, then try and conduct oneself with dignity, and not wear the chav uniform with food stains on the shirt. If one wants to look like Lil Peep and sport face tats and dress like a thug, then adopt the Lil Xan method of being humble, polite and and seduce the people with your innocent smile. Don't believe me? Who would you rather deal with and be predisposed to helping in J or in a line; A polite fashionable good looking university student on the HKG flight, or the loud slob SE salesman with his belly popping out of his shirt, reeking of booze and marlboros, wheezing while making a fuss over nothing on the PVG flight? A lot of pax believe that their personality doesn't stink. Sad to say, it does and the heavy odor clings to them, following them through life and influencing all of their personal interactions.
songsc, Dolphin2 and D582 like this.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Aug 31, 19 at 11:16 am
Old Aug 31, 19, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E50K (*G), NEXUS
Whereas, no matter how tidy, groomed, well dressed, and smiley I endeavour to be, AC personnel seemingly can always tell that beneath the surface lies a fellow frumpy, tired, middle-aged woman, and thus I get none of these flirtation-induced amenities.
Old Aug 31, 19, 10:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
...the loud slob SE salesman with his belly popping out of his shirt, reeking of booze and marlboros, wheezing while making a fuss over nothing on the PVG flight? A lot of pax believe that their personality doesn't stink. Sad to say, it does and the heavy odor clings to them, following them through life and influencing all of their personal interactions.
I am NOT a salesman.
canopus27 and ffsim like this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 10:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
a permanent look of smugness as you glide by the rabble must be requirement.
Is that the fellow rabble that I join in the J cabin?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reading this, looks like the one shared attribute is sel-centeredness, no? And yes, guilty too I suppose...
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
The "J Look" I see on YVR-YYZ flights like 116, 118, 186 (when these flight numbers apply to the Big Birds) is different than the J Look I see on AC 15 YYZ-HKG, different than on AC 17 YVR-TPE, different than AC 35 YVR-BNE, and different than what I see on AC 737 YYZ-SFO or AC 791 YYZ-LAX, as examples.

The transcons can definitely have samples of "smug guy" as seen in the AC video for Business Class. Many are in suits having come from work and the often, majority of the cabin pax are men.

AC 15 J has a few men in suits (some of whom change after boarding), and a mixed demographic - women, kids, so the J Look will be more varied. AC 17 is similar but I find a touch more casual. On both these flights I love the J Look kids and babies. AC 3 J Look varies quite a bit, sometimes it's the demographic and seasonal.

So to answer @Bohemian1's question "So what do we think the "J Look" entails?", IME, all of the above and probably some things I missed.
You described my "J" look.

TCON - business attire
Crossing the ocean - family guy attire
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:54 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat (RIP), Accor Plat
My F look is t-shirt and sweatpants (have never been told that I was in the wrong line funnily enough), you guys don't want to know what my J look is like
Dolphin2 and Bohemian1 like this.

Search this Thread