Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Cdn celeb Kardinal Offishall calls out AC for overcharging & being kicked out of seat

Cdn celeb Kardinal Offishall calls out AC for overcharging & being kicked out of seat

Old Aug 28, 19, 5:03 pm
  #1  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,702
Cdn celeb Kardinal Offishall calls out AC for overcharging & being kicked out of seat

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/air-canada...150615815.html

“Dear [Air Canada], for several years I remain loyal, but it’s days like today that I question myself,” Kardinal said at the beginning of his message to the airline on Instagram. “I enjoy your planes, but the actual process to getting into my seat remains an unnecessary thorn in my side.”

According to his post, Kardinal checked-in to his flight from London on Tuesday and paid for a seat upgrade. After he received several error messages he called his credit card company and discovered he was charged for the upgrade five times, totalling “a few grand.”


tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 5:30 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,084
Wow.

******


Kardinal Offishall Is Calling Out Air Canada For Putting Him Through "Living Hell"

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/kard...atable-to-fans


QUOTES:

"Earlier this month, Air Canada was voted to be the best airline in North America, much to the surprise of many unsatisfied Canadians. While the airline is no stranger to customer complaints and on-board flight issues, it is probably not often that they get a review so scathing and so public as the one they received today from rapper and record producer, Kardinal Offishall. In two posts on his Instagram and Twitter pages, the Canadian star dragged Air Canada for their terrible service, accusing the airline of “ lies, false promises, inconsistencies and disrespect.”

......"The music producer also called the airline out for their underlying racism, writing, “Nevermind the fact that they still say “sir this line is for Business class or priority passengers” half the time I’m ready to board.”
24left is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 5:38 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,556
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Wow.

******


Kardinal Offishall Is Calling Out Air Canada For Putting Him Through "Living Hell"

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/kard...atable-to-fans


QUOTES:

"Earlier this month, Air Canada was voted to be the best airline in North America, much to the surprise of many unsatisfied Canadians. While the airline is no stranger to customer complaints and on-board flight issues, it is probably not often that they get a review so scathing and so public as the one they received today from rapper and record producer, Kardinal Offishall. In two posts on his Instagram and Twitter pages, the Canadian star dragged Air Canada for their terrible service, accusing the airline of “ lies, false promises, inconsistencies and disrespect.”

......"The music producer also called the airline out for their underlying racism, writing, “Nevermind the fact that they still say “sir this line is for Business class or priority passengers” half the time I’m ready to board.”
And tomorrow's PR quote will be " we value his business and are looking into how this could have happened. We apologize and would like to welcome him back to AC". I think there are a few people at AC who do apologize but I believe the pilots do it the most, mostly for late departure. CS - not so much.
Twickenham, dav662, 24left and 1 others like this.
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 5:58 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 29,829
Nevermind the fact that they still say “sir this line is for Business class or priority passengers”
Yup.

Also scroll through the list of people who liked the IG post. There's at least one interesting person in there
canadiancow is online now  
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:02 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,084
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Yup.

Also scroll through the list of people who liked the IG post. There's at least one interesting person in there
Oh that's hilarious!
canadiancow likes this.
24left is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:07 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,470
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Yup.

Also scroll through the list of people who liked the IG post. There's at least one interesting person in there
Please tell us. I don't want to scroll through over a thousand likes in the hope of recognizing the right name.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:17 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 28,129
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Yup.

Also scroll through the list of people who liked the IG post. There's at least one interesting person in there
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Oh that's hilarious!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Please tell us. I don't want to scroll through over a thousand likes in the hope of recognizing the right name.
Not too far down...

former FTer and AC employee who now works overseas
wrp96 likes this.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Posts: 3,480
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Please tell us. I don't want to scroll through over a thousand likes in the hope of recognizing the right name.
I've scrolled through part way through the very long list of likes. It;'s either mademoiselle.poutine (must be a star) or ben_lipsey (whose profile says he works for AF).
--
13F
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:27 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,084
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
I've scrolled through part way through the very long list of likes. It;'s either mademoiselle.poutine (must be a star) or ben_lipsey (whose profile says he works for AF).
--
13F

OK, I'll post it, since the name is publicly viewable.


wrp96 and ctarolf like this.
24left is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:54 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: *A Gold, SkyMiles,
Posts: 2,587
Mr. Harrow raises some legitimate points, but destroys his position as soon as he plays the race card. Let's consider his points;
1. He paid for an upgrade. He did not believe that it processed correctly, so he kept making upgrades/payments. He called his credit card company to verify. I believe him, but why didn't he check his reservation to determine if an upgrade went through?

2. He claims he called AC to ensure that he had an upgrade and that his multiple charges were reversed.
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. AC will have the call logged and it would be interesting to hear that call and the length of time it took. The agent may have reversed all of the charges resulting in the loss of upgrade. Or maybe his instructions were not clear.

3. I explained my whole situation and she said “what do you want me to do? I can’t make up a seat and give it to you...”. I turned to leave-but then said to her “with all the trouble Air Canada caused me, and me being Star Alliance gold, the least you could’ve said is I’m sorry”.
She was right. She couldn't do anything about an upgrade that wasn't there. However, yes, he was owed a sincere apology. Why is it so hard for AC employees to say sorry? Is it because they are frustrated with AC IT and resent catching heat every time IT fails? (Someone should explain to him that *A Gold means nothing. AC only cares about Altitude status.)

He loses my support when he states fraud that was committed by charging my card several times. Sorry Mr. Harrow, that isn't fraud because there was no intent to mislead or to unjustly profit from an illegal act. What was experienced was AC IT, and sadly we all have experienced it.

4. However, this is where he loses me and will most likely upset people who would otherwise be strong supporters is when he states;
they still say “sir this line is for Business class or priority passengers” half the time I’m ready to board-
As irritating as it is, I have had this happen to me and the forums are filled with such events. I find it insulting when people toss out the I was hard done by because I am black or polka dot or a transformer person or whatever. line. No sweetheart, you just had an encounter with a person trying to do the best he/she can by mentioning the line. What Mr. Harrow doesn't appreciate is that a lot of people get confused and mixed up or try to jump the line. Why insinuate that AC is biased against people of colour? It's always the same M.O. Don't have a strong enough case, toss out an allegation of racial prejudice.

Where are the false promises or the disrespect? Ineptitude yes. An unreliable IT system, yes. A very poor phone service with lengthy wait times, yes, but no, the allegation of overt racially motivated prejudice is not supported by the facts of this case.

I expect that everyone here is sympathetic to him, and I certainly am, but just once, I wish we could have a complaint without the hyped up claims of prejudice when here is no evidence of the prejudice.

And yes, I agree AC most likely y screwed up. What else is new with anything related to its IT platform?
Transpacificflyer is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,556
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
Mr. Harrow raises some legitimate points, but destroys his position as soon as he plays the race card. Let's consider his points;
1. He paid for an upgrade. He did not believe that it processed correctly, so he kept making upgrades/payments. He called his credit card company to verify. I believe him, but why didn't he check his reservation to determine if an upgrade went through?

2. He claims he called AC to ensure that he had an upgrade and that his multiple charges were reversed.
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. AC will have the call logged and it would be interesting to hear that call and the length of time it took. The agent may have reversed all of the charges resulting in the loss of upgrade. Or maybe his instructions were not clear.

3. I explained my whole situation and she said “what do you want me to do? I can’t make up a seat and give it to you...”. I turned to leave-but then said to her “with all the trouble Air Canada caused me, and me being Star Alliance gold, the least you could’ve said is I’m sorry”.
She was right. She couldn't do anything about an upgrade that wasn't there. However, yes, he was owed a sincere apology. Why is it so hard for AC employees to say sorry? Is it because they are frustrated with AC IT and resent catching heat every time IT fails? (Someone should explain to him that *A Gold means nothing. AC only cares about Altitude status.)

He loses my support when he states fraud that was committed by charging my card several times. Sorry Mr. Harrow, that isn't fraud because there was no intent to mislead or to unjustly profit from an illegal act. What was experienced was AC IT, and sadly we all have experienced it.

4. However, this is where he loses me and will most likely upset people who would otherwise be strong supporters is when he states;
they still say “sir this line is for Business class or priority passengers” half the time I’m ready to board-
As irritating as it is, I have had this happen to me and the forums are filled with such events. I find it insulting when people toss out the I was hard done by because I am black or polka dot or a transformer person or whatever. line. No sweetheart, you just had an encounter with a person trying to do the best he/she can by mentioning the line. What Mr. Harrow doesn't appreciate is that a lot of people get confused and mixed up or try to jump the line. Why insinuate that AC is biased against people of colour? It's always the same M.O. Don't have a strong enough case, toss out an allegation of racial prejudice.

Where are the false promises or the disrespect? Ineptitude yes. An unreliable IT system, yes. A very poor phone service with lengthy wait times, yes, but no, the allegation of overt racially motivated prejudice is not supported by the facts of this case.

I expect that everyone here is sympathetic to him, and I certainly am, but just once, I wish we could have a complaint without the hyped up claims of prejudice when here is no evidence of the prejudice.

And yes, I agree AC most likely y screwed up. What else is new with anything related to its IT platform?
I do not know about the race part. But as stated in other threads, if AC CS keep asking only saying that this is a business class line to only select people (whether based on race, age, dress, etc) , then people will infer discrimination. If they say it to everyone, then no problem. Probably better to ask if you are travelling in business or have status rather than assume someone does not.
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:45 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,084
Just to be clear, he did not use/play the race card in his IG post

He wrote:

"Nevermind the fact that they still say “sir this line is for Business class or priority passengers” half the time I’m ready to board"


This was the quote in the Narcity article I linked:

"The music producer also called the airline out for their underlying racism, writing, “Nevermind the fact that they still say “sir this line is for Business class or priority passengers” half the time I’m ready to board.”


*****


Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
I do not know about the race part. But as stated in other threads, if AC CS keep asking only saying that this is a business class line to only select people (whether based on race, age, dress, etc) , then people will infer discrimination. If they say it to everyone, then no problem. Probably better to ask if you are travelling in business or have status rather than assume someone does not.
I started that thread because of agents in YVR and YUL who said "You're in the Super Elite line". Repeatedly. And rudely. Without asking if I'm SE.

And we know @canadiancow was accused of using his father's supposed account/status. And there are others I'm sure.

None of the 3 of us look alike or are in remotely similar demographics. The fact that AC airport agents, GAs and others keep doing this nonsense, tells me there is a cultural problem with some AC employees.

Anyway, back on topic as there is the other threads to discuss the mistaken assumptions based on our appearances and rude behaviour of some AC employees.
.

Last edited by 24left; Aug 28, 19 at 7:53 pm
24left is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:54 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 263
Just very sad tonight in reading this thread

Last edited by MaxFlying; Aug 28, 19 at 7:59 pm Reason: I wrote a thougtful respsose but not worth it. FT will always be what it is.
MaxFlying is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:55 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ/MGA
Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 7,255
Maybe they were not Catholics on the phone and did not want to help a Kardinal.
Deckter likes this.
ricktoronto is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:58 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 29,829
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
None of the 3 of us look alike or are in remotely similar demographics. The fact that AC airport agents, GAs and others keep doing this nonsense, tells me there is a cultural problem with some AC employees.

.
Sure we do. We're all middle-aged white men.

Oh wait...
Twickenham likes this.
canadiancow is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread