Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Checking bags with status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Checking bags with status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Checking bags with status

If I am flying on a flex fare (or higher) that entitles me to check one bag for free anyways, is it still possible to check another two bags (or three) with whatever your status level may be?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Baggage allowance for status holders does not depend on fare class purchased. For example, an E75K has an allowance of 3 checked bags on a basic fare and on a latitude fare.
yyckerr likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by codfather
If I am flying on a flex fare (or higher) that entitles me to check one bag for free anyways, is it still possible to check another two bags (or three) with whatever your status level may be?
If the question is whether you can get one bag free for flex fare plus 2 bags more because you have E50K status then the answer is no. The higher allowance stands - so in this example the 2 bags from your E50K status. Unlike UA, AC also does not allow you status bag allowance to apply to everyone on your PNR
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AC 75K
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e/checked.html
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by vernonc
If the question is whether you can get one bag free for flex fare plus 2 bags more because you have E50K status then the answer is no. The higher allowance stands - so in this example the 2 bags from your E50K status. Unlike UA, AC also does not allow you status bag allowance to apply to everyone on your PNR
E50k (actually E35k+) allowance is 3 x 32kg bags? P25k is 2 x 23kg.

But that's total yes, not in addition to the ticket rules.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Yes, it applies regardless of fare class. Ex. if you have P25K you will get 2x23kg, E35/50/75K/SE100K will get 3x32kg. Star Silver will get not get any extra baggage (in your case, which is flex, you would get 1x23kg). Star Gold will get 1x23 extra (2x23 in your case), while in J they will get 3x32.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
E50Ks get 3x32kg on AC, not 2 bags
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Sorry, everyone, I did not word my question very well!

I am about to qualify for P25K for 2020, and I usually fly flex fares or higher. This automatically entitles me to a free checked bag (23 kg), but I am wondering if next year I will be able to check an additional two bags on top of the first because of my status.

I have a feeling the status rules apply for how many bags you can check for free, but I thought it best to check here first.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

I am about to qualify for P25K for 2020, and I usually fly flex fares or higher. This automatically entitles me to a free checked bag (23 kg), but I am wondering if next year I will be able to check an additional two bags on top of the first because of my status.
If the question is whether you can get one bag free for flex fare plus 2 bags more because you have E50K status then the answer is no.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:39 am
Original Poster

P25K, but I think this answers the question regardless.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:58 am

I am about to qualify for P25K for 2020, and I usually fly flex fares or higher. This automatically entitles me to a free checked will bag (23 kg), but I am wondering if next year I will be able to check an additional two bags on top of the first because of my status.

I have a feeling the status rules apply for how many bags you can check for free, but I thought it best to check here first.
You’ll get two checked bags at 23kg, regardless of your economy fare. Now on some fares your BONUS will be larger (i.e. on basic/standard economy fares, where you get an extra 2x23), whereas on Latitude where you already get 2x23 as standard, you don’t get a bonus. So to answer your question, when flying Flex you will get one additional checked bag.
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyztozag

You’ll get two checked bags at 23kg, regardless of your economy fare. Now on some fares your BONUS will be larger (i.e. on basic/standard economy fares, where you get an extra 2x23), whereas on Latitude where you already get 2x23 as standard, you don’t get a bonus. So to answer your question, when flying Flex you will get one additional checked bag.
Bingo. That is what I was wondering. Thanks @yyztozag !
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:07 pm

Bingo. That is what I was wondering. Thanks @yyztozag !
No problem. I’m also en route to P25K for 2020, and I seriously hope they give us physical cards and bag tags next year. They didn’t give them out in 2018, when I was last P25K.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyztozag
No problem. I’m also en route to P25K for 2020, and I seriously hope they give us physical cards and bag tags next year. They didn’t give them out in 2018, when I was last P25K.
Bag tags are long gone for P25k, I highly doubt they’ll be back. I can’t remove when they were removed but I don’t think I got them in 2016.

Cards are possible, but AC tends to enhance the program by removing things, not adding them especially at the lower levels. Adding early recognition to P25k was the only upward improvement I’ve seen in years, and I wonder if that was just to simplify their IT.

*Simplify IT could include IT releasing an error in mistake again and being unable to undo it due to a lack of willingness, knowledge or other reasons.

Last edited by jc94; Aug 29, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.