Question: Checking bags with status

Old Aug 28, 19, 10:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 281
Checking bags with status

If I am flying on a flex fare (or higher) that entitles me to check one bag for free anyways, is it still possible to check another two bags (or three) with whatever your status level may be?
codfather is online now  
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:00 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,736
https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges
tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:04 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Posts: 506
Baggage allowance for status holders does not depend on fare class purchased. For example, an E75K has an allowance of 3 checked bags on a basic fare and on a latitude fare.
yyckerr likes this.
marke190 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:13 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,566
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
If I am flying on a flex fare (or higher) that entitles me to check one bag for free anyways, is it still possible to check another two bags (or three) with whatever your status level may be?
If the question is whether you can get one bag free for flex fare plus 2 bags more because you have E50K status then the answer is no. The higher allowance stands - so in this example the 2 bags from your E50K status. Unlike UA, AC also does not allow you status bag allowance to apply to everyone on your PNR
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:18 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: AC*A
Posts: 4,831
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e/checked.html
ChrisA330 is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:31 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,475
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
If the question is whether you can get one bag free for flex fare plus 2 bags more because you have E50K status then the answer is no. The higher allowance stands - so in this example the 2 bags from your E50K status. Unlike UA, AC also does not allow you status bag allowance to apply to everyone on your PNR
E50k (actually E35k+) allowance is 3 x 32kg bags? P25k is 2 x 23kg.

But that's total yes, not in addition to the ticket rules.
jc94 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 6:38 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: AC member, on route to P25K
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
If I am flying on a flex fare (or higher) that entitles me to check one bag for free anyways, is it still possible to check another two bags (or three) with whatever your status level may be?
Yes, it applies regardless of fare class. Ex. if you have P25K you will get 2x23kg, E35/50/75K/SE100K will get 3x32kg. Star Silver will get not get any extra baggage (in your case, which is flex, you would get 1x23kg). Star Gold will get 1x23 extra (2x23 in your case), while in J they will get 3x32.

Hope this helps.
yyztozag is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 6:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: AC member, on route to P25K
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
If the question is whether you can get one bag free for flex fare plus 2 bags more because you have E50K status then the answer is no. The higher allowance stands - so in this example the 2 bags from your E50K status. Unlike UA, AC also does not allow you status bag allowance to apply to everyone on your PNR
E50Ks get 3x32kg on AC, not 2 bags
yyztozag is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 9:11 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 281
Sorry, everyone, I did not word my question very well!

I am about to qualify for P25K for 2020, and I usually fly flex fares or higher. This automatically entitles me to a free checked bag (23 kg), but I am wondering if next year I will be able to check an additional two bags on top of the first because of my status.

I have a feeling the status rules apply for how many bags you can check for free, but I thought it best to check here first.
codfather is online now  
Old Aug 29, 19, 9:26 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,736
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
Sorry, everyone, I did not word my question very well!

I am about to qualify for P25K for 2020, and I usually fly flex fares or higher. This automatically entitles me to a free checked bag (23 kg), but I am wondering if next year I will be able to check an additional two bags on top of the first because of my status.
Originally Posted by vernonc
If the question is whether you can get one bag free for flex fare plus 2 bags more because you have E50K status then the answer is no.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 9:39 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 281
P25K, but I think this answers the question regardless.
codfather is online now  
Old Aug 29, 19, 9:58 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: AC member, on route to P25K
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
Sorry, everyone, I did not word my question very well!

I am about to qualify for P25K for 2020, and I usually fly flex fares or higher. This automatically entitles me to a free checked will bag (23 kg), but I am wondering if next year I will be able to check an additional two bags on top of the first because of my status.

I have a feeling the status rules apply for how many bags you can check for free, but I thought it best to check here first.
Youíll get two checked bags at 23kg, regardless of your economy fare. Now on some fares your BONUS will be larger (i.e. on basic/standard economy fares, where you get an extra 2x23), whereas on Latitude where you already get 2x23 as standard, you donít get a bonus. So to answer your question, when flying Flex you will get one additional checked bag.
jc94 likes this.
yyztozag is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 12:38 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by yyztozag View Post


Youíll get two checked bags at 23kg, regardless of your economy fare. Now on some fares your BONUS will be larger (i.e. on basic/standard economy fares, where you get an extra 2x23), whereas on Latitude where you already get 2x23 as standard, you donít get a bonus. So to answer your question, when flying Flex you will get one additional checked bag.
Bingo. That is what I was wondering. Thanks @yyztozag !
codfather is online now  
Old Aug 29, 19, 1:07 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: AC member, on route to P25K
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
Bingo. That is what I was wondering. Thanks @yyztozag !
No problem. Iím also en route to P25K for 2020, and I seriously hope they give us physical cards and bag tags next year. They didnít give them out in 2018, when I was last P25K.
yyztozag is offline  
Old Aug 29, 19, 1:24 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Posts: 5,475
Originally Posted by yyztozag View Post
No problem. I’m also en route to P25K for 2020, and I seriously hope they give us physical cards and bag tags next year. They didn’t give them out in 2018, when I was last P25K.
Bag tags are long gone for P25k, I highly doubt they’ll be back. I can’t remove when they were removed but I don’t think I got them in 2016.

Cards are possible, but AC tends to enhance the program by removing things, not adding them especially at the lower levels. Adding early recognition to P25k was the only upward improvement I’ve seen in years, and I wonder if that was just to simplify their IT.

*Simplify IT could include IT releasing an error in mistake again and being unable to undo it due to a lack of willingness, knowledge or other reasons.

Last edited by jc94; Aug 29, 19 at 1:30 pm
jc94 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread