Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Checking bags with status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Checking bags with status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by jc94

Bag tags are long gone for P25k, I highly doubt they’ll be back. I can’t remove when they were removed but I don’t think I got them in 2016.

Cards are possible, but AC tends to enhance the program by removing things, not adding them especially at the lower levels. Adding early recognition to P25k was the only upward improvement I’ve seen in years, and I wonder if that was just to simplify their IT.

*Simplify IT could include IT releasing an error in mistake again and being unable to undo it due to a lack of willingness, knowledge or other reasons.
Yeah, I really wish they had better benefits. The only real benefits you have are (sort of) better airport services in Y, and an additional checked bag in Y. I guess that on *A you have the AC*S badge so you are less susceptible to being bumped off overbooked flights. You'd think that they would have some perks for people who fly with AC more than basically 90% of the plane. Then again, P25K is pretty much the easiest Star Silver program to qualify for ;-)
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Yeah, I really wish they had better benefits. The only real benefits you have are (sort of) better airport services in Y, and an additional checked bag in Y. I guess that on *A you have the AC*S badge so you are less susceptible to being bumped off overbooked flights. You'd think that they would have some perks for people who fly with AC more than basically 90% of the plane. Then again, P25K is pretty much the easiest Star Silver program to qualify for ;-)
Upgrades, lounge passes, onload priority...

There are "some perks", commensurate with the amount of "loyal and profitable" travel you do.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow

There are "some perks", commensurate with the amount of "loyal and profitable" travel you do.
The benefits associated with P25K are about what I would expect given that it only requires 25 flights or 25,000 miles to qualify. Benefits are quite good considering this, though I wish we had Z2 boarding. This would likely clog up the boarding process further though, so I can't see this happening.

As the above poster said, I think bag tags / physical card are not coming back, unfortunately.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I’m amused by the title of this thread. How do they tell the difference between status bags and non-status bags?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow

My point is that most of the benefits just ensure that you have a smaller chance of getting screwed over (getting a crap seat in Y, getting bumped etc). The priority airport services include priority check-in (not J check in), and "priority boarding". And let's face it, advanced Zone 3 boarding is not much priority. I can't remember getting the lounge passes, and even those are only valid for domestic and maybe US MLLs. The only thing I really do appreciate is the 20 eUpgrade credits. Another is waiving Carrier Surcharges on award tix (although that's only CA-CA or CA-US).

I actually think that some of their "perks" are good, but find that other *A partners give better *S benefits (i.e. LH Frequent Traveller), and that most of them apply to Y tickets.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyztozag
My point is that most of the benefits just ensure that you have a smaller chance of getting screwed over (getting a crap seat in Y, getting bumped etc). The priority airport services include priority check-in (not J check in), and "priority boarding". And let's face it, advanced Zone 3 boarding is not much priority. I can't remember getting the lounge passes, and even those are only valid for domestic and maybe US MLLs. The only thing I really do appreciate is the 20 eUpgrade credits. Another is waiving Carrier Surcharges on award tix (although that's only CA-CA or CA-US).

I actually think that some of their "perks" are good, but find that other *A partners give better *S benefits (i.e. LH Frequent Traveller), and that most of them apply to Y tickets.
My understanding was that earning *S on LH was about as easy as earning *G on AC.

And yes, *S benefits tend to only apply to Y tickets. That's true of *G benefits too.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I’m amused by the title of this thread. How do they tell the difference between status bags and non-status bags?
Lol. It is merely an introductory question...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.