Pearson connecting flight times too short?

Old Aug 27, 19, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Alaska, AA, KLM, Delta
Pearson connecting flight times too short?

AC is selling tickets that leave posted 1 hour 12 mins between landing from YVR to catching its evening flight to Tel Aviv ...site itself says minimum connection time is 1 hour 30 minutes. Baggage will be checked through to destination? Additional security to pass through other than secondary at gate itself given it is a flight to Israel?
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by testycal View Post
AC is selling tickets that leave posted 1 hour 12 mins between landing from YVR to catching its evening flight to Tel Aviv ...site itself says minimum connection time is 1 hour 30 minutes. Baggage will be checked through to destination? Additional security to pass through other than secondary at gate itself given it is a flight to Israel?
Min Connect Time is 60 minutes at YYZ for Domestic to International. Selling 72 minute connection is tight but within allowable MCT.
Old Aug 27, 19, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.00
OFFLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.00

There are no listed special D/I times for flights on AC80 to TLV ex YYZ. They won't have security in Vancouver on a flight to Toronto with maybe one person going on to TLV. Maybe they are going to ask questions when you check in so allow for that.

AC connecting to AC will have luggage checked through.
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC is selling tickets that leave posted 1 hour 12 mins between landing from YVR to catching its evening flight to Tel Aviv ...site itself says minimum connection time is 1 hour 30 minutes. .......
AC.com is selling YYZ-YVR-TPE with a 1 hr 9 min cnx. I'll assume it's a legal cnx since it's on the website. It is possible to make the cnx. But my multiple experiences on the route tell me it's not a good idea and so I take the flight with the longer cnx times. Even then, there are often delays ex-YYZ and I've arrived in YVR with 40 minutes. I could think of better ways to get my cardio.

Can you take an earlier flight?
WR Cage and DNAwizard like this.
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I have done several PTY-YYZ-Europe flights with 60 minute connections. Its tight but doable. Have not checked a bag though for such a connection
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
I have done several PTY-YYZ-Europe flights with 60 minute connections. Its tight but doable. Have not checked a bag though for such a connection
ITI is actually probably faster than DTI at YYZ these days, given you can stay at the end of the hammerhead and just swipe your passport.

DTI could involve some long walks.

Not that I'd personally be super concerned with either. 99% of the time, you'll know if you're going to make the connection before you leave the origin airport, and there are plenty of one-stop options from YVR to TLV if a misconnect is likely.
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:44 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
ITI is actually probably faster than DTI at YYZ these days, given you can stay at the end of the hammerhead and just swipe your passport.

DTI could involve some long walks.

Not that I'd personally be super concerned with either. 99% of the time, you'll know if you're going to make the connection before you leave the origin airport, and there are plenty of one-stop options from YVR to TLV if a misconnect is likely.
Try arriving in late and then being informed your gate is a hard stand! You then have to get bussed and it drops you near where immigration is. Thats quite a trek all the way back up to the connections area (cannot use the near one as not arriving from the USA). Have to go through security after scanning passport, again as not arriving from the USA. #fun

However, when its a normal INTL gate, usually in the 70s for us, then its grand
Old Aug 27, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
OP: as always, if they sold it to you, its legal. Unless you are piecing together your own itinerary, in which case, DON'T DO THAT; you will be taken care of.

Taken care of is relative. Air Canada does not own a time machine. And absent SE status, or OMW insurance, they will consider $15 in food coupons and a night on a bench as taking care of you. But they will get you to where you are going. Eventually.

Does missing the CX mean missing your own wedding? A million dollar deal? Well, then reconsider that particular connection.

A 25 day vacation? Or relocating? Meh, whatevs.
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:28 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
If you arrive on time from YVR you should be fine.
Secondary security at the gate takes 2 minutes if there is no line, if you arrive late there is no more line.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:39 am
Original Poster

One reason I am concerned is I just do not know Pearson at all...I usually fly through LHR with BA but with the strike, my flight dates are not available in September. Thanks so far for the information folks.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
MCT represents AC's willingness to accept the risk of a misconnect. Nothing more. If AC is willing to sell it, all that means is that if one misconnects, AC will rebook and deal with the fallout.

This does not mean that a connection is within SCT (Sensible Connection Time). SCT is purely subjective. If you are not familiar with the airport, your trip cannot sustain a delay which might be as long as a day, or being rerouted into lousy seats, are unacceptable, then you should book a longer connection.
YZF_Elite, 24left and smallmj like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, WS Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
OP, I would not risk it.
If AC OTP was actually good/decent, which is probably when the MCT were established, I'd be comfortable booking it.
But with the ongoing abysmal OTP, not a good idea.
And I think AC actually needs to revisit the MCT in light of their OTP.
jasdou and 24left like this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:18 am
Original Poster

For what it is worth...it appears AC flights from YVR arrive D gates and flight o TLV departs E gates.....I am on my own and am not averse to cardio if necessary
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:24 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
For what it is worth...it appears AC flights from YVR arrive D gates and flight o TLV departs E gates.....I am on my own and am not averse to cardio if necessary
It's definitely doable in 72 minutes, it's doable in 10-15 minutes IF you get off the plane quick and don't hit queues. And arriving on time and to the gate helps. It really goes to what others have said about your level of risk.

AC sells the ticket and therefore it accepting that they need to get you to your destination. There's no guarantee they'll get you there on time nor cover any associated costs if there's a delay especially outside their control (aka weather).

Also consider what happens if you miss it. Does AC have another flight on that route the same day? Are there likely to be spaces (depends on route, time of year, time of day, actual day etc...) - if so are those seats in your cabin? AC will happily put you from Y into a spare Y seat on another AC flight, they will normally put you into Y on another airline too (well, *A anyway), they won't put you into a spare J seat. If you are flying J (or PY) would you be happy to be downgraded as AC will happily do that even without asking you then your choice becomes reject the seat (and absorb / insurance for hotel etc... costs) or fly in generally a bad Y seat.

Also, in case of bad IRROPS (otherwise known as non perfect weather) the rebooking may take a while.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
D for Domestic and E for Enternational.

It's not a short walk, but signage is good, and there's an airside connection so you won't have to clear security. If you're in paid J you'll likely get a car.

Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
It's definitely doable in 72 minutes, it's doable in 10-15 minutes IF you get off the plane quick and don't hit queues. And arriving on time and to the gate helps. It really goes to what others have said about your level of risk.
Where would there be a queue? I'm not nearly as familiar with DTI as other connection types at YYZ, but aside from having to wait 30 seconds for someone to open a door, I've never had a queue for a DTI connection.

Search this Thread