Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Claiming interim expenses, delayed baggage on AC

Old Aug 25, 19, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus

My bag was delayed the other day flying YYZ-YXU, and my credit card requires me to submit an expense claim with AC before they will cover it. I purchased about $600 worth of stuff as my cc allows up to $750. Filling out the forms on the AC site right now, and it asks me if I will be claiming with my insurer.

I will, of course, be claiming with them, but this is only if AC rejects me. Quite frankly I don't really care about the result as RBC should cover me either way, but I feel like AC may screw me over if I say that I am claiming with my insurer also (I am only claiming if AC rejects it, or refuses to cover everything).
Old Aug 25, 19, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
They may then ask you to send them your insurer's response (and deduct that payment from your reimbursement)

They take forever to follow up so they assume the insurer would have responded by then...
Old Aug 25, 19, 7:26 pm

I would answer no to the question as you don’t know if you will go to your insurance because you don’t know how much AC will cover. Get whatever it is that AC will pay out and then claim the rest from your insurance. Basically, if AC reimburses you for everything you asked for then you won’t be going to your insurance anyhow. I haven’t claimed from AC but did one with LH last summer and they did reimburse all my expenses (also in the $600 range) so there was no need to follow up with my CC insurance. LH was super fast about it, which was nice.
pmarrsouth and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: Altitude E35K
Originally Posted by mikeyyz View Post
They take forever to follow up so they assume the insurer would have responded by then...
This was actually not my experience last year. The online form was responded to in 48 hours and I had a cheque at my house about a week after that.

I'm not sure if it depends on status, but I was only Prestige last year.
Old Aug 25, 19, 8:21 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
We had this issue in July and we filled out “No” on the AC online form wrt claiming with insurance. Amex said that it had to be first denied by the airline before being able to claim with Amex. We would not be claiming with Amex if AC covered it all

Similar to what another poster above said, we uploaded all the receipts (~£630 worth), and also had a response within 48 hours saying that they approved my claim, with a wire for $780 USD (xe was within a couple of cents of this) to be sent once I gave them my bank details. Once I submitted the bank details and they replied saying that the wire was sent for processing, I got it 4-5 days later

Flew from PTY-YYZ-LHR, N fare and *G. 4 hour layover in YYZ and bag didn’t make it somehow. We arrived into LHR on Monday at ~midday local, bag got in 9 hours later. Their courier company (touting same day delivery) got it Tuesday at 9am. We got the bag Wednesday at 8pm. We were in the city center, and were pretty annoyed that it was not delivered the day before

Tilting that there was no way of contacting courier company and AC said it was out of their hands when I called them asking for more info. Happy how AC handled the claim process though, as well as the speed with which they did

I truthfully told AC that it costs $37.45 to receive a wire with my bank here. They sent a total of $818 to cover the fee too

Also got a 25% discount voucher for next booking and myself & gf happened to get Op-Up to J on the YYZ-LHR that our bag was forgotten on. Altogether a great trip
Bohemian1 and Dolphin2 like this.

Search this Thread