Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Anyone here actually have the Amex Aeroplan reserve card?

Old Aug 24, 19, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold

Curious - looks like a terrible card.
Old Aug 24, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, Wyndham dimond, Amex Plat Cnd & USA, Canadian army vet, Yoga teacher.
Originally Posted by jcamp028 View Post
Curious - looks like a terrible card.
I used to have the card before I had status. The card is good for when you fly 3-5 round trips a year with bags.
Get your bag checked free.
You get to use the Mill free in international that 35K does not get.
The 2 for 1 redemption is worth $500, you get a $200 travel credit.
So you are paying $199 for a priority pass membership and entrance, Mill pass, 5 free checked bags, priority check in.
Old Aug 24, 19, 9:03 am

I looked at it years ago when I lost my status with Air Canada and came to a similar concision - $900 is an awful lot for what you get.

The actual cost may be less though, The $200 travel credit lowers the actual cost of the card since anyone considering a travel card presumably spends more than that on travel a year. The annual aeroplan partner ticket may have a similar value. The unlimited lounge access seems great, but you can buy an awful lot of lounge access for that annual fee.

In then end, I went for the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege which has a very similar features (excluding the $200 travel credit and aeroplan partner ticket, and "only" 10 lounge accesses annually) and costs much less but still not cheap ($400 annually) . I easily get back considerably more in benefits/extra miles than the cost difference from a standard $100 annual aeroplan Visa Infinite so it works well for me, but of course the value of the features depends on the user. That - with Nexus - seems to be a really good combination if your traveling a reasonable amount without status like I do.
james dean likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:46 pm

I have had this card for two years, and I am happy with the value overall.

I'm basically a person who does a fair amount of personal travel (8-10 roundtrips on AC metal per year) but I redeem Aeroplan points for many of these trips, so I have not had status for the past few years. I also do a small amount of NA business travel. I probably put about 100K/year on the card, including about 10K of AC spend, with some of that being OPM. Importantly, AC spend is 2 Aeroplan points per dollar on this card.

Both years, I've been able to use the Aeroplan 2-for-1 for a booking I would have wanted to make anyway. So I value the "free" 25,000 points at about $300.

I use the $200 travel credit for a travel purchase I would have made anyway (I compare prices on Amex travel to other sites when booking to ensure that Amex travel prices aren't inflated for the specific purchase). So I look at that as basically $200 cash-equivalent.

So those two things are about $500 in value.

I probably use the free bag more than 5 times per year ($30/bag). Yes it is capped at 5 bags per year in the terms and conditions. Implementation varies, however

So now we're at, at least, $650 in value.

At this point, the residual cost of $250 is similar to, if not better than, other Aeroplan premium cards. For that remainder, the MLL lounge access, priority check-in, unlimited priority pass access, insurance benefits etc. are worth it to me, personally. I understand my situation may not apply to others.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by swonder View Post

I use the $200 travel credit for a travel purchase I would have made anyway (I compare prices on Amex travel to other sites when booking to ensure that Amex travel prices aren't inflated for the specific purchase). So I look at that as basically $200 cash-equivalent.
Is that $200 per calendar year or cardmember year?
Old Aug 27, 19, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Points Poppa View Post
It's per cardmember year.
Old Aug 27, 19, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, UA*1K, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Points Poppa View Post
Originally Posted by swonder View Post
It's per cardmember year.
Yes it is per cardmember year. The best loophole was how you could get 2x $200 in your first cardmember year and then ditch the card.... shame they finally caught on.
Old Oct 15, 19, 6:32 am

Programs: AC S100K
This card has just added a new perk: "$200 Air Canada eGift Card when you spend a total of $6,000 in purchases in the first six months of Cardmembership."
Old Yesterday, 7:02 am

Programs: AC S100K
I found myself wondering this: If you get this card and use the eGift Card to book a flight (paying the balance with the card), do you then void most or all of the insurance that comes with the card? After all, most of it specifies that you must fully charge your travel to the card to be eligible for the insurance.

Search this Thread