Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Checking in for a multi-city segment run?

Question: Checking in for a multi-city segment run?

Old Aug 22, 19, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX MR, Aeroplan, UA Mileage Plus, Priority Pass
Checking in for a multi-city segment run?

I am doing a segment run in a few days thanks to a last-minute schedule change by AC. I was just looking at the flights in my AC app, and it seems the agent has created a multi-city itinerary. I always assumed that they married the segments together to make it look like a one-way trip rather than multi-city as seems to be the case.

The first flight is YZR-YUL (via YYZ) followed by YUL-YOW, YOW-YHZ, and finally YHZ-YYT.

Will I be able to get BPs for all these flights when I go to check-in for the first leg on Sunday morning as is usually the case? I am sure it will all be fine when I arrive at the airport, but I would obviously like to get my BPs on my phone at T-24 if possible.
Old Aug 22, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
On a recent run I ended up with YYZ-YUL-YSJ-YHZ linked as the outbound and YHZ-YYZ as the return even though I booked them as YYZ-YUL-YSJ and YSJ-YHZ-YYZ. I've also had YYJ-YVR-YEG linked and YEG-YYZ be separate even though I booked them all together as a multi-city ticket.

I guess the answer is YMMV
codfather likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
You should be able to check in online without issue for that itinerary. You'll definitely be able to get all the BPs at the first airport.
codfather likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
You should be able to check in online without issue for that itinerary. You'll definitely be able to get all the BPs at the first airport.
Thanks, Cow! Looking forward to seeing my bag tag for this itinerary...Lol
Old Aug 23, 19, 6:12 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Whenever I try to check into an itinerary with more than 5 consecutive segments the app/website tells me there are too many flights for OLCI, but as others have said YMMV. This has been the case for flights ticketed as a multi-city itinerary, and a very complicated one way.
Old Aug 23, 19, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Ah that's a good point. I've seen that.

But I've also had experiences flying A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H where it will check me in from A-D, but then I can go back with D as my origin and get D-G, and then again with G as my origin for G-H.

The only consistent inability I've had is when I depart my first city multiple times in one day on one PNR, since it has no way to disambiguate which segment you're trying to check in.
marke190, douglasr and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Update:

Attempted to check-in via the mobile app this morning, I got this message...
"Your transaction could not be completed because the number of flights in your itinerary exceeds the maximum allowed for aircanada.com check-in..."

I can't say I am surprised, it will have to be done at the airport in the morning!

Hopefully, I won't have any issues checking my bags all the way to YYT. I am guessing YZR has less experienced staff (maybe) compared to YYZ or even YYT, so they may not know the general allowances for checking bags through many stops.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
Update:

Attempted to check-in via the mobile app this morning, I got this message...
"Your transaction could not be completed because the number of flights in your itinerary exceeds the maximum allowed for aircanada.com check-in..."

I can't say I am surprised, it will have to be done at the airport in the morning!

Hopefully, I won't have any issues checking my bags all the way to YYT. I am guessing YZR has less experienced staff (maybe) compared to YYZ or even YYT, so they may not know the general allowances for checking bags through many stops.
No worries. The OLCI can only handle a maximum of four segments, but you are already checked in and your sequence number is already logged. When you check in at the airport you can check your bag all the way through.

Years ago I did a segment run while checking in a bag. I obtained all six BPs at YYT and two bag tags were attached to the bag. The deep freeze hit most of NA, and somehow my bag made it to the final destination 16 hours ahead of me.
D582 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
No worries. The OLCI can only handle a maximum of four segments, but you are already checked in and your sequence number is already logged. When you check in at the airport you can check your bag all the way through.

Years ago I did a segment run while checking in a bag. I obtained all six BPs at YYT and two bag tags were attached to the bag. The deep freeze hit most of NA, and somehow my bag made it to the final destination 16 hours ahead of me.
Fantastic! And hahahaha, I am surprised they still loaded it on the flight without you!

This will be my first "actual" segment run, I am looking forward to a day of connections lol
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Segment run complete! Had no issues with check-in at the airport, I just got a few laughs out of the AC/CATSA crew. Pretty cool bag tag(s)! Still trying to figure out why it was tagged priority as I do not have any status level right now. It even said priority on the actual tag, so the agent did not just attach it to be nice.
canadiancow, marke190 and Dolphin2 like this.

Search this Thread