Cancelling a non-refundable AC ticket

Old Aug 22, 19, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Cancelling a non-refundable AC ticket

Hello,

I have a non-refundable domestic comfort fare ticket that I need to cancel, which has a $25 change fee in each direction. If I use the online "cancel" function, can I later apply it to a new ticket? Or do I have to choose new dates right away (i.e. change now - instead of cancelling first online and then calling to "change" later)?

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 19, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
You pay nothing when you cancel.

The value of the ticket can be used within 1 year (IIRC, the 1 year starts from the original ticket issue date).

Once you call in to book your new itinerary, the value of the old ticket will be applied to the new fare. Any change fees must be paid with 'new money' at the time the change is confirmed. That is, if you value of your old ticket is $1000 and the new one costs $900, you'll still have to pay $50 extra. Any difference in fare value in your favour is forfeited, and cannot be used to pay for the change fees.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Great. Thanks. So I donít need to choose new dates right away?
Old Aug 22, 19, 6:16 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
and don't cancel too soon:

if there is a weather waiver, flight disruption, time change, carrier change (mainline to rouge etc), those are all valid reasons for a free change .... perhaps even refund.
asovse1 and DrDogger like this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 9:32 pm

Programs: Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
(IIRC, the 1 year starts from the original ticket issue date).
Yes.
Old Aug 23, 19, 1:53 am

Programs: Too Many
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
and don't cancel too soon:

if there is a weather waiver, flight disruption, time change, carrier change (mainline to rouge etc), those are all valid reasons for a free change .... perhaps even refund.
OP,
this is good advice, check out the cancellation provisions on your ticket, often as little as two hours before departure, so you can check early the same day if your itinerary is affected by IRROPS. Donít miss it though as a no-show you might forfeit everything.

Good travels
Old Aug 23, 19, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
All points noted.

Search this Thread