FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Whitehorse man claims Air Canada lost his dog, leading to 30-hour ordeal (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1984084-whitehorse-man-claims-air-canada-lost-his-dog-leading-30-hour-ordeal.html)

Stranger Aug 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Whitehorse man claims Air Canada lost his dog, leading to 30-hour ordeal

Dog as luggage missed first leg. Owner very upset. "Wants compensation." As usual...

codfather Aug 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Ambulance chasers...or something like that!

canadiancow Aug 22, 2019 1:35 pm

I'm confused about how they were rebooked on the flight, but then couldn't take it because it was "full".

Clearly they weren't rebooked.

However, it seems like AC was pretty good here. Rebooked pax. Provided not just an overnight hotel room, but a day room the next day.

But if even this isn't acceptable given the circumstances, I'm just waiting for the day they stop transporting animals altogether. Service animals or AC Cargo.

rickg523 Aug 22, 2019 1:48 pm

I'm not a fan of AC, and the service failure was pretty bad, but, with the exception of somehow not actually booking the guy on the first flight out when they told him he would be (a significant failure), AC at least held to their duty of care and, though it took three tries, there was an AC employee who treated him like a passenger with a problem not of his own making.
AC should refund his fare and fairly reimburse any ancillary costs he incurred due to their mistakes. Mistakes are made, but recovery is what you judge.
Compared to other reported incidents, this was actually pretty good for AC.

Bohemian1 Aug 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 31444945)
Dog as luggage missed first leg.

A three-legged dog. Just what I've always wanted.

Sorry, that's what happens when I skim this stuff while eating lunch.

CZAMFlyer Aug 22, 2019 3:06 pm

"I think that is an achievable goal, never flying Air Canada with a dog again."
Whitehorse is served by a much better local alternative - a preferable option for many, even if connecting beyond nonstop destinations from the Yukon. They have demonstrated to me, on many occasions, how far above the normal expectations standard they're genuinely pleased to reach.
On the other hand, the following beautifully sums up the middle management culture at Air Canada:

Frustrated, Milnes asked to speak with a manager.
"And she looked at me and said, "Sir, that was the past. This is the present.'"
Unsatisfied, Milnes spoke with another manager — and then another one. On his third attempt, the manager listened to his concerns

Fiordland Aug 22, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 31445316)
Whitehorse is served by a much better local alternative - a preferable option for many, even if connecting beyond nonstop destinations from the Yukon. They have demonstrated to me, on many occasions, how far above the normal expectations standard they're genuinely pleased to reach.
On the other hand, the following beautifully sums up the middle management culture at Air Canada:

Thous who do not learn from their past are domed to repeat it. .... Same famous Spanish philosopher once said....

CZAMFlyer Aug 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland (Post 31445328)
Thous who do not learn from their past are domed to repeat it. .... Same famous Spanish philosopher once said....

Likely after deplaning from a Rouge flight to BCN.