Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can't book flights which start and end in the US - no codeshares???

Old Aug 22, 19, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

Is it possible to book multi-city trips that include codeshare segments within the US?

Although I haven't done it in a while, the AC website used to allow this, and Aeroplan still does. But neither AC.com nor ACforbusiness.com seem to allow me to include a US domestic leg on a UA codeshare. ...???

Is there a secret to this?
Old Aug 22, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club
Delete please

Last edited by DrunkCargo; Aug 22, 19 at 2:23 pm Reason: replying while mentally elsewhere not useful =)
Old Aug 22, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: UW*, UL*S
I had a problem like this last month, and never ended up solving it. Would like to know if an answer exists as well.

Wanted to book YEG-SJC, SJC-AUS, AUS-YEG but of course the SJC-AUS segment wouldn't even allow AC.com to proceed to the search engine like the reason you described.

Ended up putting them on Google Flights, and YEG-SJC, AUS-YEG was ticketable as an open jaw and SFO-AUS was booked on UA separately. It was annoying but I couldn't find a solution.

I didn't try AC reservations call centre at the time (I think I had an online promo code at the time), but does anyone know if AC call centre can override this?
Old Aug 22, 19, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC SE*100K
The AC website in my experience won't let you do this, and I can't remember a time when it did TBH. I either end up using our corporate Expedia (shudder), calling in or booking separate tickets, depending on the circumstances.
Old Aug 22, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
Is it possible to book multi-city trips that include codeshare segments within the US?

Although I haven't done it in a while, the AC website used to allow this, and Aeroplan still does. But neither AC.com nor ACforbusiness.com seem to allow me to include a US domestic leg on a UA codeshare. ...???

Is there a secret to this?
The website won't let you. Historically, I have done this by booking individual segments using united.com for the segments that are entirely in the US. If it is not a valid connection it is considered cabotage and is not allowed by the website.

The other part of this is that the same flight can be much cheaper on united.com (and occasionally more expensive). If I am traveling to the US, I will often check both sites.
Old Aug 22, 19, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
The AC website in my experience won't let you do this, and I can't remember a time when it did TBH. I either end up using our corporate Expedia (shudder), calling in or booking separate tickets, depending on the circumstances.
You got me curious so, just as a data point, I tried a dummy booking using our Egencia portal and it priced out okay. I have no idea if it would actually ticket okay and am not willing to complete that part of the experiment.

I'm not pretending that this solves the problem for the OP, it's just interesting that the logic isn't there to check this, at least for this OTA.
Old Aug 22, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by asovse1 View Post
I didn't try AC reservations call centre at the time (I think I had an online promo code at the time), but does anyone know if AC call centre can override this?
The AC call centre can definitely ticket things like this. The question is whether it will price out reasonably. AC frequently has trouble pricing partner segments reasonably. Whether it's an issue with fare rules that the other carriers don't allow their best fares to be offered if other carriers are plating, or it's an AC problem, I'm not sure.

This is not just a problem with intra-US, but pretty much everywhere. For instance, a couple weeks ago I wanted to change an existing ticket YYC-FRA-NAP; FCO-FRA-YYC to YYC-YYZ-MAD (stop)-FRA-NAP; FCO-FRA-YYC. Price for YYC-YYZ-MAD; FCO-FRA-YYC was about $7K, and MAD-FRA-NAP bookable on LH website for about $500. But to put it all on one booking with AC, it was over $13K. So I just booked separate tickets.

I've also encountered issues on this with AV, CM, and other carriers.

In ye olden days, ITA Matrix and PowerTools could be your friend for stuff like this. For example, I used Matrix to price, and purchase via ac.com, YYC-LHR; LCY-ZRH; ATH-FRA-YVR-YYC. But it has probably been two years since I had any luck with that channel.
canadiancow, YYC3722 and asovse1 like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 23, 19 at 8:15 am Reason: Corrected typo

Search this Thread