FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Question - Newbie re: eupgrades - business class vs. premium economy waitlist order (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1984055-question-newbie-re-eupgrades-business-class-vs-premium-economy-waitlist-order.html)

embt Aug 22, 2019 9:22 am

Question - Newbie re: eupgrades - business class vs. premium economy waitlist order

Hi all - I travel often but on short flights without business class, so I rarely have an opportunity to use my epupgrade credits (20 expired last year).

Trying to use some on a flight today, YVR to YYZ. I am the only person waitlisted for premium economy, which has 5 open seats; there are 10 people waitlisted for business class, with no open seats. From the AC website:
"When requesting an eUpgrade to Business Class, you will always be awarded the best available seat. For instance, if you originally requested an eUpgrade to Business Class, but there are no Business Class seats available at flight departure, and seats in Premium Economy are available, you will automatically be seated in the Premium Economy cabin. The eUpgrade requirements will naturally be adjusted accordingly."

I'm wondering if this means I have no chance of getting into Premium Economy, or a great chance... if there are no business class seats, do the folks on the business class eupgrade waitlist get slotted behind me in line, in front of me in line, or do the lists merge and it becomes status based? I saw another thread say "business waitlist gets added below the Premium Economy waitlist regardless of status" but some commenters had anecdotal stories of that not being the case.

Thanks!

canopus27 Aug 22, 2019 9:39 am

I think @canadiancow would know, but from memory the premium economy upgrade list is processed before the business class list is ... which means you would be logically ahead of anyone who's requested a business class upgrade, but only gets PY as an alternate.

Bottom line - I'm not 100% certain, but my hunch is that as long as the facts stay the way you describe them (vs more people explicitly joining the PY list) then you'll have a pretty good chance.

lcohen999 Aug 22, 2019 9:48 am

PE to Business
Y to Business
Y to PE

then status, etc

dr_torch Aug 22, 2019 10:01 am

Just out of curiosity @embt - why did you not request the upgrade to J?

canopus27 Aug 22, 2019 10:04 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 31444151)
PE to Business
Y to Business
Y to PE

then status, etc

Right ... but at which point in the process do people on the Y to business list, who fail to make it into business because J is now full, get out onto the Y to PY list? Is that before or after the initial Y to PY list is processed? I thought it was *after*, and the difference is significant for a low status person like the OP.

embt Aug 22, 2019 10:18 am

@dr_torch: It was $250 + 11 credits for J, and $100 + 5 credits for PY. I didn't think the extra $150 + 6 credits was worth it; I just want a little comfier seat for the red eye :)

embt Aug 22, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by canopus27 (Post 31444224)
Right ... but at which point in the process do people on the Y to business list, who fail to make it into business because J is now full, get out onto the Y to PY list? Is that before or after the initial Y to PY list is processed? I thought it was *after*, and the difference is significant for a low status person like the OP.

I appreciate you clarifying! I suppose I should have included I'm 75K - I travel a lot, I just don't get on something larger than a Q400 very often.

lcohen999 Aug 22, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by canopus27 (Post 31444224)

My understanding , is Y to PE (failed upgrade to J) will happen after people who are going directly Y to PE

canadiancow Aug 22, 2019 10:36 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 31444284)
My understanding , is Y to PE (failed upgrade to J) will happen after people who are going directly Y to PE

That was definitely how it worked when they first introduced PY, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. They've definitely tweaked some onload processing in the past few years.

embt Aug 22, 2019 11:16 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31444348)
That was definitely how it worked when they first introduced PY, but I'm not sure if that's still the case. They've definitely tweaked some onload processing in the past few years.

Thanks for the insight folks! Sounds like I can be cautiously optimistic that they process people on the J waitlist who didn’t get in, after they process folks on the direct to PY waitlist... but that may not be the case. I’ll see what happens this flight & report back!

RatherBeInYOW Aug 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31444348)

Yeah, I think it has changed too. I had a TATL Y to J upgrade that failed in the spring and I ended up in PY (this is all at the gate) and from what I could see on the app I ended up in PY ahead of people in Y who were waitlisted for a PY upgrade. Of course sometimes what you see in the app can be misleading, and last minute misconnects and other shenanigans can mess with things. None the less I am pretty sure they are now clearing the J waitlist, then dumping people who missed J in to the PY pile, re-sorting by priority, and then clearing the PY waitlist.

skybluesea Aug 22, 2019 12:46 pm

delete

canadiancow Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea (Post 31444819)
While in principle, much of the foregoing is correct, but when IRROPS happens, the rulebook gets thrown out the window and really depends on the agents, and how many SEs get to the Concierge’s before this is all processed.

I don't see how concierge involvement would change whether an SE gets a PY upgrade over someone with lower status...

skybluesea Aug 22, 2019 10:31 pm

delete

embt Aug 22, 2019 10:54 pm

So they took the standby list off the app about 6 or 7 hours before the flight, so I couldn’t actively track how everything was processed - when I checked 8 hrs before the flight, I was still first on a list of 3 for PY, but the waitlist for J was up to 16 pax.

When I got to the gate it was bedlam with the agents moving a mile a minute - for this particular flight (YVR-YYZ on a 777) I think they did a lot of moves and did them manually. The gate agent told me I had been moved to 13F (a PY middle seat) but was now being moved to 12D.

So I got my upgrade which I am pumped about for a redeye, but I don’t know why or how the priority was determined - if my 75K status carried me through or if my first mover status on the PY waitlist did. Sorry I don’t have a better answer folks! Maybe next time!