Bundle 1: Altitude bonus count towards AQM?

Old Aug 22, 19, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Bundle 1: Altitude bonus count towards AQM?

Hi all,

I'm about to hit Elite 50K and I am wondering if I select Bundle 1: Altitude Bonus with Air Canada and select airline partners for 50% if that bonus will apply to both AQM and Aeroplan Miles?

I spoke to an Aeroplan person on the phone and they said it does, however, I've seen conflicting reports across the web.

Thank you
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Flickerwisp View Post
Hi all,

I'm about to hit Elite 50K and I am wondering if I select Bundle 1: Altitude Bonus with Air Canada and select airline partners for 50% if that bonus will apply to both AQM and Aeroplan Miles?

I spoke to an Aeroplan person on the phone and they said it does, however, I've seen conflicting reports across the web.

Thank you

If you select the 50% bonus, it is 50% on the BASE MILES.
So, using YYZ-YVR, one way is 2,078 miles
If you buy a Flex ticket, for example, you will earn 100% of the 2,078 for AQM, plus, your Aeroplan miles will appear as 2,078 miles and another line with 1,039 miles

If you buy a Standard ticket that gives 50%, your BASE MILES will only be 1,039 and 50% of that will be 520 miles

Here is an example from my Aeroplan page.

This is the miles (AQM) earned for the flight

This is my 100% bonus of the base miles off the flight

Last edited by 24left; Aug 22, 19 at 7:40 am Reason: Add examples
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: AC SE*100K
Aeroplan only. Nothing to do with AQM.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
Aeroplan only. Nothing to do with AQM.
Right, but confusion remains for many about the difference. I added screen shots to help.
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Oh wow, so the lady on the phone yesterday (Aeroplan) had no idea what she was talking about. She said it's both AQM & Aeroplan miles. I even called AirCanada and they had no idea about their own Altitude program (they directed me to Aeroplan)

That's a bummer.
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh wow, so the lady on the phone yesterday (Aeroplan) had no idea what she was talking about. She said it's both AQM & Aeroplan miles. I even called AirCanada and they had no idea about their own Altitude program (they directed me to Aeroplan)

That's a bummer.

@Flickerwisp

It is BOTH AQM and Aeroplan miles.

AQM is the miles you earn from the flying for Altitude status
In addition, if you select the 50% bonus in your bundle, you will earn 50% more AEROPLAN miles - of whatever the base miles were for the flight.

However, right now, AC directed you to Aeroplan because that is currently the program where our miles are held, like a bank.

On your AC Altitude page, you will only see the flying miles earned.
On your Aeroplan page, you will see those flying miles and any 50K bonus miles as well as any spend with Aeroplan partners (eg. credit cards, hotels, car rentals etc)
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
It is BOTH AQM and Aeroplan miles.

AQM is the miles you earn from the flying for Altitude status
In addition, if you select the 50% bonus in your bundle, you will earn 50% more AEROPLAN miles - of whatever the base miles were for the flight.
I'm specifically asking about the 50% bonus.

I know that flights give you both AQM/Aeroplan miles, however, I am wondering if I select the 50% bonus at 50K if I will get AQM on the bonus 50%, or just Aeroplan (the person at Aeroplan said that I would, but above people are saying we aren't). So I'm confused
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: Altitude E35K
Hi all,
That Aeroplan person would be incorrect. The 50% bonus miles are not altitude qualifying miles.
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Right, but confusion remains for many about the difference. I added screen shots to help.
Do you have a screenshot from your Altitude account showing the same thing?

That's where I'm really confused, if you get 100% more AQM listed there as well (since you are 100K).
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have a screenshot from your Altitude account showing the same thing?....

That's where I'm really confused, if you get 100% more AQM listed there as well (since you are 100K).
I don't get 100% more on the Altitude page, AQM is base miles (and any cost of service addition, eg. for a Business Class ticket)

I'm specifically asking about the 50% bonus.

I know that flights give you both AQM/Aeroplan miles, however, I am wondering if I select the 50% bonus at 50K if I will get AQM on the bonus 50%, or just Aeroplan (the person at Aeroplan said that I would, but above people are saying we aren't). So I'm confused

You do NOT get 50% bonus on your AC Altitude status page. You would only get 50% bonus of the base miles on your Aeroplan page.
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....That's a bummer.

@Flickerwisp

Are you confused about the difference between what you earn for a flight and how it appears on your AC Altitude page versus your Aeroplan page?
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: Altitude E35K

These are my flights for YOW - YYZ - YYC - LAS. As you can see on the altitude site I got 100% miles for these segments. On Aeroplan I got a 35% bonus (since I am E35K and selected that option) but those are absolutely not altitude qualifying miles.

It drives me crazy that AE agents are not trained to answer simple questions correctly.
flyquiet, 24left and Flickerwisp like this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dr_torch View Post

It drives me crazy that AE agents are not trained to answer simple questions correctly.
Absolutely, and that has been a problem for the longest time. HUCA works sometimes. What's really sad is the vast differences in knowledge and skills of the Aeroplan agents. Some really know their stuff and can also explain things. Others shrug and barely make an effort to get the right answer when they don't know it.
Old Aug 22, 19, 8:12 am
Original Poster

@Flickerwisp

Are you confused about the difference between what you earn for a flight and how it appears on your AC Altitude page versus your Aeroplan page?
No. I'm not confused anymore. It's clear now.

When I called Aeroplan they told me something completely wrong and I got excited because if I had gotten 50% more AQM I would of hit 75k. I'll be shy of 5k AQM at end of year to 75k so I was really happy to see that if the 50% gave AQM I would make it.
Old Aug 22, 19, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. I'm not confused anymore. It's clear now.
Great.

Search this Thread