Potential Ticketing Issue?

Old Aug 21, 19, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, Aeroplan, AM, Continental Hotels, Choice
Potential Ticketing Issue?

I booked a Mini-RTW this morning and I thought that all was done correctly. I never got the confirmation email so tonight I checked AC with the booking reference provided by Aeroplan. I saw that the ticket information only displays my first and last name but my passport shows all three names (so the middle name is missing from the ticket info). I have called Aeroplan several times and I have been provided with the same answer - This is not a problem as the passenger security information reflects the full passport name. So essentially I have been told to not worry. But if I wanted Aeroplan would cancel my tickets (my wife's and mine) and not charge me any fees other than the $30 service charge (although they might waive that). However, there is no assurance that I would be able to get this exact itinerary when they rebooked it.

I have put a lot of work into this itinerary to have it all disappear because Aeroplan didn't enter the full name properly. It has been drummed into my head that the ticket must match the passport 100%. I don't want to end up in Taipei or Singapore and be denied boarding. So is Aeroplan right to not worry about this or should I start over?

Thx
Old Aug 21, 19, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC E75K, *G, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by belky15 View Post
I booked a Mini-RTW this morning and I thought that all was done correctly. I never got the confirmation email so tonight I checked AC with the booking reference provided by Aeroplan. I saw that the ticket information only displays my first and last name but my passport shows all three names (so the middle name is missing from the ticket info). I have called Aeroplan several times and I have been provided with the same answer - This is not a problem as the passenger security information reflects the full passport name. So essentially I have been told to not worry. But if I wanted Aeroplan would cancel my tickets (my wife's and mine) and not charge me any fees other than the $30 service charge (although they might waive that). However, there is no assurance that I would be able to get this exact itinerary when they rebooked it.

I have put a lot of work into this itinerary to have it all disappear because Aeroplan didn't enter the full name properly. It has been drummed into my head that the ticket must match the passport 100%. I don't want to end up in Taipei or Singapore and be denied boarding. So is Aeroplan right to not worry about this or should I start over?

Thx
I almost never put my middle name in the booking. Make sure to enter it correctly in the advance passenger information section and you’ll be ok.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 10:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I can't speak to Taiwan specifically but I've flown Canada / US - Europe several times on AC/LH/UA without any issues despite omitting my middle name from the ticket.
douglasr likes this.
Old Aug 21, 19, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
My pp has my middle and I NEVER put it on any tickets.
Old Aug 22, 19, 12:07 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-2MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Just left TPE today... you will not have any issues.
Old Aug 22, 19, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, Aeroplan, AM, Continental Hotels, Choice
Thanks to all for your responses. I also found a thread from last November that extensively talked about this issue with the same positive conclusion! Me being me, I know that I will still worry some but hopefully that will recede once in J with a good drink in hand!
Plumber likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
My pp has my middle and I NEVER put it on any tickets.
same here. And I am frequently in TPE and SIN.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 22, 19, 11:27 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by belky15 View Post
Thanks to all for your responses. I also found a thread from last November that extensively talked about this issue with the same positive conclusion! Me being me, I know that I will still worry some but hopefully that will recede once in J with a good drink in hand!
As long as your first name is a Western name (eg. Robert, John, Jane, Mary, Fernando etc.), then you're fine.

It's only a problem if you have a two-part Asian first name (eg. KIM/JONG UN where "JONG UN" is considered your "given name") and you normally just go by "Jong" in the Western world and have your ticket issued as "KIM/JONG" as opposed to "KIM/JONG UN" and you are travelling to an Asian country. When travelling outside of Asia, it is not a problem as people won't understand the nuances of Asian names. However, when travelling in Asia, airport staff who are of Asian origin might consider your "given name" to be incomplete. This is akin to Westerners booking their ticket as "Rob" instead of "Robert".
Old Aug 23, 19, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam View Post

It's only a problem if you have a two-part Asian first name (eg. KIM/JONG UN where "JONG UN" is considered your "given name") and you normally just go by "Jong" in the Western world and have your ticket issued as "KIM/JONG" as opposed to "KIM/JONG UN" and you are travelling to an Asian country. When travelling outside of Asia, it is not a problem as people won't understand the nuances of Asian names. However, when travelling in Asia, airport staff who are of Asian origin might consider your "given name" to be incomplete. This is akin to Westerners booking their ticket as "Rob" instead of "Robert".
Non-issue. Using KIM/JongUN will work fine every time. Even if you enter your two-part first name with a space when booking or on your Aeroplan account, on the ticket they come joined together.
Old Aug 23, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: AC SE*100K
Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
This is akin to Westerners booking their ticket as "Rob" instead of "Robert".
FWIW I have seen this work out too. Last time I switched employers my first trip booked using our corp travel used the abbreviated version of my first name, and no middle name. I was worried it was going to be a disaster (multi-segment trip booked on AC with AC and UA flights) and it was fine, I never has any issues. Not that I would recommend doing this, especially some place more challenging than a Canada / US border crossing, but it worked out okay for me.
Old Aug 24, 19, 3:02 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Same here. Never ever put on tickets (causes more problems than it helps) . . Make sure you enter it in APIS correctly.
Old Aug 24, 19, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never put it on tickets. I never fill out APIS, and I never ever it during check-in.

It's on my passport, but it never gets entered anywhere.

And it's never caused me a problem on any airline in any country.
Old Aug 25, 19, 1:31 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I never put it on tickets. I never fill out APIS, and I never ever it during check-in.

It's on my passport, but it never gets entered anywhere.

And it's never caused me a problem on any airline in any country.
For the APIS - I guess you are saying that your itineraries don't require it or you only have them scan the PPT at checkin? APIS is not really a choice. Here in ZRH - you can't issue any BP's without APIS - (except for Schengen --> Schengen). Either you enter the APIS yourself or it gets done on Checking when the scan / swipe / manually enter the Passport details.

That being said - I never put it on a ticket and only once was worried. There were stories of some airlines in Asia having problems with no middle name but when I ended up in that situation - nothing came of it.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, yes. I mean I don't fill out the APIS data until check-in. But even there I don't add my middle
D582 likes this.

Search this Thread