FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Potential Ticketing Issue? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1984005-potential-ticketing-issue.html)

belky15 Aug 21, 19 9:13 pm

Potential Ticketing Issue?

I booked a Mini-RTW this morning and I thought that all was done correctly. I never got the confirmation email so tonight I checked AC with the booking reference provided by Aeroplan. I saw that the ticket information only displays my first and last name but my passport shows all three names (so the middle name is missing from the ticket info). I have called Aeroplan several times and I have been provided with the same answer - This is not a problem as the passenger security information reflects the full passport name. So essentially I have been told to not worry. But if I wanted Aeroplan would cancel my tickets (my wife's and mine) and not charge me any fees other than the $30 service charge (although they might waive that). However, there is no assurance that I would be able to get this exact itinerary when they rebooked it.

I have put a lot of work into this itinerary to have it all disappear because Aeroplan didn't enter the full name properly. It has been drummed into my head that the ticket must match the passport 100%. I don't want to end up in Taipei or Singapore and be denied boarding. So is Aeroplan right to not worry about this or should I start over?

Thx

yyckerr Aug 21, 19 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by belky15 (Post 31442402)
I booked a Mini-RTW this morning and I thought that all was done correctly. I never got the confirmation email so tonight I checked AC with the booking reference provided by Aeroplan. I saw that the ticket information only displays my first and last name but my passport shows all three names (so the middle name is missing from the ticket info). I have called Aeroplan several times and I have been provided with the same answer - This is not a problem as the passenger security information reflects the full passport name. So essentially I have been told to not worry. But if I wanted Aeroplan would cancel my tickets (my wife's and mine) and not charge me any fees other than the $30 service charge (although they might waive that). However, there is no assurance that I would be able to get this exact itinerary when they rebooked it.

I have put a lot of work into this itinerary to have it all disappear because Aeroplan didn't enter the full name properly. It has been drummed into my head that the ticket must match the passport 100%. I don't want to end up in Taipei or Singapore and be denied boarding. So is Aeroplan right to not worry about this or should I start over?

Thx

I almost never put my middle name in the booking. Make sure to enter it correctly in the advance passenger information section and you’ll be ok.

pewpew Aug 21, 19 9:34 pm

I can't speak to Taiwan specifically but I've flown Canada / US - Europe several times on AC/LH/UA without any issues despite omitting my middle name from the ticket.

canadiancow Aug 21, 19 10:09 pm

My pp has my middle and I NEVER put it on any tickets.

Plumber Aug 21, 19 11:07 pm

Just left TPE today... you will not have any issues.

belky15 Aug 22, 19 4:50 am

Thanks to all for your responses. I also found a thread from last November that extensively talked about this issue with the same positive conclusion! Me being me, I know that I will still worry some but hopefully that will recede once in J with a good drink in hand!

IluvSQ Aug 22, 19 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31442527)
My pp has my middle and I NEVER put it on any tickets.

same here. And I am frequently in TPE and SIN.

daniellam Aug 22, 19 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by belky15 (Post 31443201)
Thanks to all for your responses. I also found a thread from last November that extensively talked about this issue with the same positive conclusion! Me being me, I know that I will still worry some but hopefully that will recede once in J with a good drink in hand!

As long as your first name is a Western name (eg. Robert, John, Jane, Mary, Fernando etc.), then you're fine.

It's only a problem if you have a two-part Asian first name (eg. KIM/JONG UN where "JONG UN" is considered your "given name") and you normally just go by "Jong" in the Western world and have your ticket issued as "KIM/JONG" as opposed to "KIM/JONG UN" and you are travelling to an Asian country. When travelling outside of Asia, it is not a problem as people won't understand the nuances of Asian names. However, when travelling in Asia, airport staff who are of Asian origin might consider your "given name" to be incomplete. This is akin to Westerners booking their ticket as "Rob" instead of "Robert".

Stranger Aug 23, 19 9:14 am

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 31446352)

It's only a problem if you have a two-part Asian first name (eg. KIM/JONG UN where "JONG UN" is considered your "given name") and you normally just go by "Jong" in the Western world and have your ticket issued as "KIM/JONG" as opposed to "KIM/JONG UN" and you are travelling to an Asian country. When travelling outside of Asia, it is not a problem as people won't understand the nuances of Asian names. However, when travelling in Asia, airport staff who are of Asian origin might consider your "given name" to be incomplete. This is akin to Westerners booking their ticket as "Rob" instead of "Robert".

Non-issue. Using KIM/JongUN will work fine every time. Even if you enter your two-part first name with a space when booking or on your Aeroplan account, on the ticket they come joined together.

RatherBeInYOW Aug 23, 19 9:40 am

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 31446352)
This is akin to Westerners booking their ticket as "Rob" instead of "Robert".

FWIW I have seen this work out too. Last time I switched employers my first trip booked using our corp travel used the abbreviated version of my first name, and no middle name. I was worried it was going to be a disaster (multi-segment trip booked on AC with AC and UA flights) and it was fine, I never has any issues. Not that I would recommend doing this, especially some place more challenging than a Canada / US border crossing, but it worked out okay for me.

zrh2yvr Aug 24, 19 2:02 am

Same here. Never ever put on tickets (causes more problems than it helps) . . Make sure you enter it in APIS correctly.

canadiancow Aug 24, 19 2:30 pm

I never put it on tickets. I never fill out APIS, and I never ever it during check-in.

It's on my passport, but it never gets entered anywhere.

And it's never caused me a problem on any airline in any country.

zrh2yvr Aug 25, 19 12:31 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31452675)
I never put it on tickets. I never fill out APIS, and I never ever it during check-in.

It's on my passport, but it never gets entered anywhere.

And it's never caused me a problem on any airline in any country.

For the APIS - I guess you are saying that your itineraries don't require it or you only have them scan the PPT at checkin? APIS is not really a choice. Here in ZRH - you can't issue any BP's without APIS - (except for Schengen --> Schengen). Either you enter the APIS yourself or it gets done on Checking when the scan / swipe / manually enter the Passport details.

That being said - I never put it on a ticket and only once was worried. There were stories of some airlines in Asia having problems with no middle name but when I ended up in that situation - nothing came of it.

canadiancow Aug 25, 19 3:52 am

Sorry, yes. I mean I don't fill out the APIS data until check-in. But even there I don't add my middle