Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What to do with luggage during a long layover?

Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

I know many people take advantage of long layovers (<24 hours) to see a city. My question is, what do you do with your luggage?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: hahaha
Here's what I've done in the past:

-If the airport has left luggage and it's convenient for me to use it, I'll use it
-If a train station connecting to the airport has a locker, I'll use it
-For places where I hire a private tour complete with driver (used for a 10 hour layover in CAI, 8h tour in IST) I'll just leave it in the car with crossed fingers

For an upcoming stopover in PAR (including ORY -> CDG transfer) I plan on using Blue Marble European Bike Trips storage services or maybe do an airport transfer with Eelway.

One time on the way home domestically after clearing CBSA and YVR I just checked it through to YEG and AC didn't mind. Didn't need it for a day trip in YVR anyway.

Lots of ways to do it...I've started to use Q&A forums where I get a quick response in my trip planning (TripAdvisor, Google Maps Local Guides) to see if the airport has left luggage, requires exact change, forex implications, etc.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Most airports have a “left luggage” service, and you can confirm that in advance via the airport website. I’ve frequently used these for exactly the purpose you’re asking about, and they work great.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
If you are ticketed as a connection - you will need to ask to short-check the bag in some circumstances. Also - you may also - if it works for you - ask to be through-checked all the way if you don't need your bags. Some airports are setup for overnight bag connections (i.e Zurich - my home airport).
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
What airport(s) are your planning to do this layover?

If you are part of a loyalty program/ status holder with a hotel chain that is attached to the airport it doesn't hurt to ask if you can store your bags with them, especially if you have an upcoming reservation you can mention.

As a last resort, many large train/metro stations have a left luggage service if you don't mind schlepping your bags into the city.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by mahoogalah
I know many people take advantage of long layovers (<24 hours) to see a city. My question is, what do you do with your luggage?
GOOGLE is your friend....
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by marke190
What airport(s) are your planning to do this layover?
Yes, and is OP flying AC?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
Yes, and is OP flying AC?
Would that really make a difference here?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 7:00 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea

yes, i support tccook52 question as otherwise google can answer this generic question!
I agree with the latter part of that statement, but not the "yes".

The airline you fly on is irrelevant for this question.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I agree with the latter part of that statement, but not the "yes".

The airline you fly on is irrelevant for this question.
No, it isn't as if the airline in question isn't AC then there are other FT forums in which to discuss luggage storage during long layovers including destinations forums.Hopefully OP will update us with more details on what they were planning, if there is any firm plans that is.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:41 pm

No, it isn't as if the airline in question isn't AC then there are other FT forums in which to discuss luggage storage during long layovers including destinations forums.Hopefully OP will update us with more details on what they were planning, if there is any firm plans that is.
Since AC provides no luggage storage anywhere, shouldn't those forums always be used, regardless of airline?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: hahaha
#1 and #2 (mine) were originally in the MRTW Questions thread, and I assume OP asked in there originally because of so many itineraries having such long layovers, and is a tangent question for overall trip planning

To make it potentially fit in the AC forum I'm not sure if the airline can help with storing bags in any way at all unless you somehow woo the AC baggage office at Canadian airports. And that would be my attempt to fit this thread into the forum! Sorry!
tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
At YVR and SFO, there's paid services available for holding bags. I'm guessing that's the case at major airports.

At YYC, before the new terminal was built, I used to use Air Canada's baggage office downstairs to hold bags.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:55 pm

At HND, when flying NH, I used a locker.
kalderlake likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.