Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Most expensive wine served by AC in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold

Just curious what the most expensive bottle of wine is that someone's come across in AC J, aside from champagnes. Based on a quick look, it seems as though the bottles range from about $15 - $20.

I should also add, I don't know why they wouldn't offer more interesting beers beyond the Coors/Canadian/Heineken served in Y, with craft beer being as popular as it is. It would be neat to be able to do a beer flight on a flight.
douglasr and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Without exception, I have yet to see a single decent wine served on any AC flight. The majority of the plonk they offer up is right out of the bargain bin.

That said, it's not much different for any other airline of comparable (read "low") quality.
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jcamp028
Just curious what the most expensive bottle of wine is that someone's come across in AC J, aside from champagnes. Based on a quick look, it seems as though the bottles range from about $15 - $20.

I should also add, I don't know why they wouldn't offer more interesting beers beyond the Coors/Canadian/Heineken served in Y, with craft beer being as popular as it is. It would be neat to be able to do a beer flight on a flight.
Oxymoron :-)
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did look at prices of some of their wines in the past. I seem to recall a price range from around CAD 15 to about CAD 25. But yes, usually we go for the champagne...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OTOH the Domodimonte served at the YYZ signature lounge is in the $60 range. Not the one served on board a few months ago though.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
I did look at prices of some of their wines in the past. I seem to recall a price range from around CAD 15 to about CAD 25. But yes, usually we go for the champagne...

@Stranger

You posted info in this thread in Sept 2018:

Why Air Canada wine is globally sourced

Sorry but credibility ends with that last statement.

I have never seen a $15 bottle that should blow anyone's mind, whether here or there or on the moon. Maybe in Spain and some local places in Italy there are some that are drinkable but that's it.

On Canadian wines: typically they are too pricey for what they are. OTOH some places (such as Fairmont) may have some arrangements and be able to secure pricing that changes the picture. Both or kids wedding dinners were at the Palliser in Calgary, and having looked (and tasted) we ended up finding the best priced wines were Canadian. I would expect AC to be able to secure a similar deal. So I think what Andrew says must make sense.

I still wish for a somewhat higher wine budget... Until them we mostly go for the champagne.

In searching for AC FT wine threads, I found this thread which had me laughing as the topic and comments were the same in 2005

"I know I can't be the only one disgusted with the current offering of wines in the J cabin, That Chatea du crap merlot is horrible."

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/402472-air-canada-red-wines-....html

And you wrote

Ah, the AC plonk, my pet topic.

See, obviously we Canadians are cheap and we have no clue about wines, so why would they spend money on this? Actually, I suspect the bean counters in charge of selecting wines really have no clue and can't taste the difference...

As to these three chefs who supposedly endorse the crappy list, what can I say? Just plain corrupt, or incompetent? I certainly won't patronize their places.

I suspect they pay less than CAD 10/bottle. At most 12/13. Real crappy.

Just go for champagne. Although they have downgraded it too a few months back, from Pieper-Heidsick to some unknown stuff, it's still somewhat better than theirt wines.

Also found this one

Wine on AC Flights
skybluesea, Nazdoom and ctarolf like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
As for my impressions of the Air Canada wines - I actually think that recently, there has been an improvement in the overall selection and quality. The wine team has done a pretty good job at finding wines for a range of tastes and food pairings at a cost which is reasonable. AC can't afford to be spending $30/bottle when nobody is really going to notice. On the other hand - the Champagne is where the cost has gone - and overall - it's not a bad choice either now (and a small upgrade from the Drappier).

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 21, 2019 at 4:03 am Reason: Off topic posting
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
As for my impressions of the Air Canada wines - I actually think that recently, there has been an improvement in the overall selection and quality. The wine team has done a pretty good job at finding wines for a range of tastes and food pairings at a cost which is reasonable. AC can't afford to be spending $30/bottle when nobody is really going to notice. On the other hand - the Champagne is where the cost has gone - and overall - it's not a bad choice either now (and a small upgrade from the Drappier).
I have fairly basic preferences, so I am ok with lower end quality. However, where I do notice the difference is with my heartburn. Cheap red wine gives me heartburn and boy do I get it with AC.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 21, 2019 at 4:04 am Reason: Off topic posting
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:30 am
Original Member

Calogna wines?

In the gallon jugs?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Actually at least some flights do offer craft (or craft-ish - more interesting beers, even if ultimately owned by the majors) in Y. But no, not available in J. It does seem strange to me that Y (often) has better beers than J. And mildly annoying.
The Lev likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PB53x11
Actually at least some flights do offer craft (or craft-ish - more interesting beers, even if ultimately owned by the majors) in Y. But no, not available in J. It does seem strange to me that Y (often) has better beers than J. And mildly annoying.
Since the booze is complimentary in long haul Y, you'd think they would do everything they could to differentiate the choices and offer better products in J. It "cheapens the product" not to.

$7K for a TATL flight - you'd like to see them put some thought into it.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the booze is complimentary in long haul Y, you'd think they would do everything they could to differentiate the choices and offer better products in J. It "cheapens the product" not to.

$7K for a TATL flight - you'd like to see them put some thought into it.
Not so much some thought (I think the sommelier is rather thoughtful), but some cash. Indeed the wine quality is embarrassing. Admittedly some will say serving more expensive wines would be serving pearls to pigs. But then the same would hold when I serve wine to gusts at home. Yet I won't serve wine that I don't drink myself, even knowing that my standards are very likely higher. At the end of the day, a matter of face. In a sense AC is losing us Canadians face with travellers who know better. For the sake of a few pennies. OTOH in the Signature Lounge, wines are quite decent. So my guess is they still reason as if the J cabin is filled with bottom feeders on upgrades... (Still a bottom feeder myself, and proud of it. But most of the time no longer on upgrades, just cheap P.)
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Not so much some thought (I think the sommelier is rather thoughtful), but some cash. Indeed the wine quality is embarrassing. Admittedly some will say serving more expensive wines would be serving pearls to pigs. But then the same would hold when I serve wine to gusts at home. Yet I won't serve wine that I don't drink myself, even knowing that my standards are very likely higher. At the end of the day, a matter of face.

It's not about cost to me, it's about taste (which is obviously very personal). I've had VERY good $15 bottles from Safeway. I've had very bad $80 bottles from a winery.

But I agree in principle. You want better wine, I want some rum alternatives

The fact that North American Y has more options for beer and liquor than both NA J and international Y/J is ludicrous.

In a sense AC is losing us Canadians face with travellers who know better. For the sake of a few pennies. OTOH in the Signature Lounge, wines are quite decent. So my guess is they still reason as if the J cabin is filled with bottom feeders on upgrades... (Still a bottom feeder myself, and proud of it. But most of the time no longer on upgrades, just cheap P.)
That's another thing I find odd. They've clearly decided J tickets are worth an enhanced experience, but why can't I have that same experience on board? Obviously we can't have 8 beers on tap on the plane, but maybe a few extra options...
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I quite like the Trapiche Malbec currently being served - it isn't the "basic" Trapiche model that goes for $11.25 at the LCBO but forgot the exact name.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:06 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I've said my piece before about the wine so won't continue that whine. So to speak.

But I agree with @PB53x11 and @canadiancow that the 'premium' beer not being available to J pax (for free) makes zero sense.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.