Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 175,000 Aeroplan miles - Am I Star Alliance Gold?

Question: 175,000 Aeroplan miles - Am I Star Alliance Gold?

Old Aug 20, 19, 1:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
175,000 Aeroplan miles - Am I Star Alliance Gold?

I live in Japan so I use Star Alliance exclusively for all travel in south/east Asia. I don't fly a ton, but I fly pretty regularly every year. I noticed recently that many people were getting express security/immigration lines with Star Alliance Gold. I already have Priority Pass, but I believe that's only for lounges etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I would love to get express security/immigration lines if possible.

Do my Aeroplan Miles count towards becoming a Star Alliance Gold member? If so, how do I get the fancy cards and stuff?

Thanks
keyboardwarrior is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:42 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 264
Not necessarily...

Aeroplan miles can be attained via numerous different credit cards. Aeroplan miles do not equal AQM (Altitude Qualifying Miles). These can only be attained by flying actual flights on AC and other Star Alliance airlines. You do not get status (and express lanes, etc) with Aeroplan miles, but through AQM as mentioned above.
codfather is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:43 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,556
Originally Posted by keyboardwarrior View Post
I live in Japan so I use Star Alliance exclusively for all travel in south/east Asia. I don't fly a ton, but I fly pretty regularly every year. I noticed recently that many people were getting express security/immigration lines with Star Alliance Gold. I already have Priority Pass, but I believe that's only for lounges etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I would love to get express security/immigration lines if possible.

Do my Aeroplan Miles count towards becoming a Star Alliance Gold member? If so, how do I get the fancy cards and stuff?

Thanks
Your Aeroplan miles do not count towards Star Gold. What matters is the number of miles you have flown with any one particular airline in one calendar year, spend amount on these flights and the eligible class of service. Ex for Air Canada you have to fly 50K miles plus hit a spend level.
vernonc is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:45 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,093
Originally Posted by keyboardwarrior View Post
I live in Japan so I use Star Alliance exclusively for all travel in south/east Asia. I don't fly a ton, but I fly pretty regularly every year. I noticed recently that many people were getting express security/immigration lines with Star Alliance Gold. I already have Priority Pass, but I believe that's only for lounges etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I would love to get express security/immigration lines if possible.

Do my Aeroplan Miles count towards becoming a Star Alliance Gold member? If so, how do I get the fancy cards and stuff?

Thanks
@keyboardwarrior

Your Aeroplan miles are reward miles. They do not give you any benefits.

In order to get *A Gold benefits such as Fast Track security etc, you need status with *A airlines like AC. Status miles come from flying.

This is the Air Canada Altitude site. Earning 50K status gets to *A Gold. Plus as @vernonc noted, you also have to spend the money required.

https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/overview


And this is the detailed page for AC Altitude Privileges

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges


And if you live in Japan, would it not be worth it to consider NH membership for the benefits and status?
.
codfather likes this.
24left is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ottawa, ON
Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 278
Here is the info on qualification for the various Air Canada status levels. To qualify for Star Alliance Gold status you need to earn 50,000 Air Canada “AQM” in a single calendar year, as well as $6000 “altitude qualifying dollars”. (So if you’ve accumulated all your miles over a period of a few years, you may never have reached gold in a particular year).

https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/overview

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges

sweden05 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:51 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
@keyboardwarrior

Your Aeroplan miles are reward miles. They do not give you any benefits.

And if you live in Japan, would it not be worth it to consider NH membership for the benefits and status?
.
I'm already an ANA Mileage Club member but how would that be any different than AC? Plus ANA flights are often 40% higher. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're talking about.


Wow, so many quickly replies on this forum. Amazing. So Altitude is the key. How ironic. Looks like I won't be getting it then even though I often fly between China, Korea, Japan and HK using Star Alliance, it's never with a single airline.

Last edited by keyboardwarrior; Aug 20, 19 at 2:03 pm
keyboardwarrior is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:54 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by keyboardwarrior View Post
I'm already an ANA member but how would that be any different than AC? Plus ANA flights are often 40% higher. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're talking about.


Wow, so many quickly replies on this forum. Amazing. So Altitude is the key.

Thanks guys!!!
It should not be any different in terms of Star Alliance Gold benefits (if you have Star Gold in the first place). You would only get priority boarding, free checked bags, etc when flying with AC! I am not sure what you would get with regards to priority security clearance when not travelling on ANA.
codfather is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YEG, SGN, JR JY-13
Programs: UW*, UL*S
Posts: 182
Just a note that the spending requirement, if you choose to pursue *Gold with Air Canada Altitude, would be 50% less at $3000 AQD since you're a non-Canadian resident
24left likes this.
asovse1 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:13 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
It should not be any different in terms of Star Alliance Gold benefits (if you have Star Gold in the first place). You would only get priority boarding, free checked bags, etc when flying with AC! I am not sure what you would get with regards to priority security clearance when not travelling on ANA.
Only with AC? How does that even make sense? If I'm a Star Alliance Gold member and ANA and AC are both A* then why would I not get priority security with both airlines?

I saw some people from the US who clearly got their Gold status from United zip on through security in Japan using their Star Alliance Gold. This is why I thought Star Alliance Gold gets you priority security anywhere. This is not the case? I'm talking about the security where they scan your carry-on and laptop etc with the hoards of other cattle. It seems to be carrier agnostic and only depends on whether or not you have SAG.
keyboardwarrior is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:16 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,093
Originally Posted by keyboardwarrior View Post
I'm already an ANA Mileage Club member but how would that be any different than AC? Plus ANA flights are often 40% higher. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're talking about.


Wow, so many quickly replies on this forum. Amazing. So Altitude is the key. How ironic. Looks like I won't be getting it then even though I often fly between China, Korea, Japan and HK using Star Alliance, it's never with a single airline.
@keyboardwarrior

Being a member of an airline's FFP allows you to earn status from flying and also reward miles to use for trips. Each airline has a different rules on earning status and reward miles.

Belonging to a program but not having status means you do not have benefits eg. Fast Track security etc.

These days, you need to fly on paid tickets, earn flying miles and spend the required amount of money (varies by airline).

If you belong to ANA, you should look at their rules and benefits. If you prefer to earn status with AC, you'll need to meet the requirements.

AC Altitude Status is what matters, same with ANA Mileage Club or UA's etc. Earning reward miles from flying a number of different *A airlines does to help if you are not earning them toward status with any of the airlines.


In the first link I posted for you, it says

"Earning AQM, AQS & AQD

For every eligible flight operated by Air Canada and the Star Alliance member airlines, you'll earn AQM and AQS that will help you reach a higher Altitude status. Of course, the AQM you earn are also Aeroplan Miles, which can be redeemed for a range of Aeroplan Rewards. To learn more about the number of AQM and AQS you'll earn when flying, visit aeroplan.com.

You'll earn AQD for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada Rouge as well as on eligible flights operated by Star Alliance member airlines ticketed on Air Canada ticket stock (ticket numbers beginning with '014'). You will also earn AQD for eligible Flight Pass purchases and eUpgrade Add-ons, based on the monetary value of the purchase. To learn more about AQD.

*****

And to answer your other post

Originally Posted by keyboardwarrior View Post
Only with AC? How does that even make sense? If I'm a Star Alliance Gold member and ANA and AC are both A* then why would I not get priority security with both airlines?

I saw some people from the US who clearly got their Gold status from United zip on through security in Japan using their Star Alliance Gold. This is why I thought Star Alliance Gold gets you priority security anywhere. This is not the case? I'm talking about the security where they scan your carry-on and laptop etc with the hoards of other cattle. It seems to be carrier agnostic and only depends on whether or not you have SAG.

I fly AC and other *A airlines. I earn status miles and spend the money required for annual status with AC. My benefits include the ability to use the NRT Fast Track security lanes. These benefits do not come from being an Aeroplan member and having reward miles.

UA members can use Fast Track because they have the UA status to do so.
24left is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:24 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
@keyboardwarrior
UA members can use Fast Track because they have the UA status to do so.
I noticed that people just walk into those NRT Fast Track lanes. The guys don't check anything and there is no special SAG scanner or anything like that.

So basically even if you fly often with A* it doesn't mean anything regarding SAG unless you always fly with a single carrier.
keyboardwarrior is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:27 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 16,093
Originally Posted by keyboardwarrior View Post
I noticed that people just walk into those NRT Fast Track lanes. The guys don't check anything and there is no special SAG scanner or anything like that.

So basically even if you fly often with A* it doesn't mean anything regarding SAG unless you always fly with a single carrier. Ironic.

The Star Alliance Gold Fast Track lanes at NRT absolutely have scanners as they are security lanes. I've been going through them for 5 years, and often.

If you are talking about Fast Track for immigration, that is another matter entirely.

As for flying a lot with various Star Alliance airlines, it means nothing unless you earn status with at least one of them.
Bohemian1 likes this.
24left is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:34 pm
  #13  
SYM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YXU/BOS
Programs: AC SEMM
Posts: 900
Originally Posted by keyboardwarrior View Post
So basically even if you fly often with A* it doesn't mean anything regarding SAG unless you always fly with a single carrier.
NO. That is not correct. Depending on different airline and fare class rules, you can fly miles on different carriers but accrue points on a single frequent flyer plan. If you choose to accrue on Aeroplan, then everytime you fly on A* you enter your Aeroplan number (keeping in mind, to repeat, that accrual rules vary a lot). BUT to prevent people who never fly AC from getting AC status, AC (and other airlines) introduced a minimum spend requirement as well. As others have posted (and I'll just assume they are correct), for non-residents that is $3000/calendar year
canopus27 and canadiancow like this.
SYM is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:39 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: YYC
Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Posts: 3,933
Have you credited all your flights to ANA's frequent flier program? You need to pick one program that works for you, and then credit your flights to that program. The rules for achieving Star Gold differ depending upon the particular program, but once Gold is achieved then those benefits should be recognized across all the airlines in the alliance.

At some airports the fast rack lanes are only for those flying business or first class, not necessary top tier status with an airline alone. It varies by airport. As an example at London Heathrow Terminal 5, the fast track immigration is only open to those NOT holding an EU passport.
Jagboi is online now  
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:47 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
I know you can accumulate Aeroplan Miles flying multiple A*. That is how I got my miles. I use Shenzhen Air, ANA, AC, Asiana Airlines etc.

I am specifically talking about SAG.

I have credited all my flights to AC only as I prefer AC over ANA because ANA charges about 20% to 40% more.
keyboardwarrior is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread