Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 175,000 Aeroplan miles - Am I Star Alliance Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 175,000 Aeroplan miles - Am I Star Alliance Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by keyboardwarrior
I know you can accumulate Aeroplan Miles flying multiple A*. That is how I got my miles. I use Shenzhen Air, ANA, AC, Asiana Airlines etc.

I am specifically talking about SAG.

I have credited all my flights to AC only as I prefer AC over ANA because ANA charges about 20% to 40% more.

You will not get Star Alliance Gold without 50K status on Air Canada. Period. You can check ANA for their rules.

Crediting your miles to AC would be fine if you meet the number required and the dollar spend required to earn the 50K Altitude Status to be Star Alliance Gold.

It doesn't matter how you got your miles if they don't give you status. Reward miles are not status miles.

And BTW, as for immigration lines at NRT or HND etc, there are threads on FT about this as well as doing a general search using google for eg.

Japan has fast-track lane which you can apply for since you live there. I recall at least 6 different coloured segments on the walls near the immigration lines at NRT. There are lanes for Japanese residents or citizens, a fast track immigration lane for those on Business and First Class tickets and and APEC/Diplomat lane.

Using these keywords, I got a long list of results

Fast track immigration lines in Japan

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Fast+track+immigrati on+lines+in+Japan&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
You can credit your miles to multiple programs, but you must credit ENOUGH to ONE of them to pass whatever its Star Gold threshold is. You have asked on the AC forum, so we have said 50,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles (earned on any eligible Star Alliance flights but credit to your AC number) including $3,000 (CAD) spend on Air Canada flights within the same calendar year (half the Canadian resident spend requirement). The Star Gold requirements are unique to each airline. Some last more than one year, some require more miles or different dollars to that airline. You need to comparison shop among the Star Alliance airlines you fly. After you have met the requirements for the airline that is easiest for you to get Star Gold, you can feel free to credit additional flights anywhere for the rest of that calendar year.
Your Star Gold benefits through AC would include security, baggage allowance, etc. on all Star Alliance, but the upgrades would only be useable on AC.
You really should read the airline websites rather than trying to get a clear picture just from forum member responses, because you can compare their requirements with your travel patterns without having to explain your travel patterns to us.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe you could let us know how many miles you have flown this or last year?
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyquiet
.....You really should read the airline websites rather than trying to get a clear picture just from forum member responses, because you can compare their requirements with your travel patterns without having to explain your travel patterns to us.
Which is exactly why some of us posted the links to AC's specific pages.

As for OP, my sense is that there may be confusion over status miles versus miles earned for rewards. Further, there is the frequent mention of Fast Track, for which we supplied multiple answers, info and explanations.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
https://altitude.aircanada.com/mystatus/dashboard will tell you if you have enough miles for Altitudes status.

If your altitude status is 50k, 75k or 100k/Super Elite, you have Star Alliance gold.

If not, you don't. Or at least, not because of Air Canada.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:14 pm

If you live in Japan, you definitely want to look into getting the Super Flyers card with ANA. You will get more info in the ANA forum, but IIRC, once you hit Platinum once on ANA, you can apply for the card. With this card, you can pay a small fee and keep *G access (lounge/fasttrack/priority boarding) as long as you have the card. It is difficult to get *G with NH (ANA), but it is easier if you have several domestic flights in Japan. Otherwise, look for sales on premium economy when available, because it often has the best return. This can be on any *A airline, but I believe that ANA requires a certain number of miles/flights to be on their own airline. Otherwise, pay close attention to the booking fare code to make sure that your flight earns mileage. You may need to pay a small premium for a different booking code, but this will pay off later on if you do quality for the Super Flyers Card. Also, only people with ANA status get fasttrack security at Haneda, since they do not allow *G like they do in NRT.
groovbusta and Torode like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - allow me to explain it in the most simple way ever possible.

A FFP (Frequently Flyer Program) usually has 2 key components - status and reward.

Reward, as simple as it sounds, allows to travel for free (i.e. award travel) by redeeming the miles you have earned. This kind of miles is known as RDM (redeemable miles), which you can virtually earn everywhere.

On the other hand, status provides a recognition to members' loyalty and businesses. In most cases, status can be earned by actual flight activities only, after reaching certain threshold set by the program, like EQM, EQS and/or EQD (Elite Qualifying miles, segments, dollars).

Star Alliance Gold (SAG) is an alliance-wide status level. While each program set different rules and criteria, but in the essence, once you reach the threshold and recognized as SAG, you will enjoy a set of benefits across all Star Alliance airlines.

In your specific case - Aeroplan is not a status program but a reward program. So whatever you have earned DOES NOT count towards to any status, as they are RDMs. Air Canada's status program is known as Air Canada Altitude. In order to become an Altitude member, you must fly with Air Canada and its Star Alliance partners based on Air Canada's threshold within a calendar year.

Until you can satisfy this threshold, you are not an airline elite member and you will not become SAG.

I hope this makes everything simple for you.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At this point the OP must be totally confused...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
We got the same question last week.

Elaborate trolling?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:18 pm
Suspended

If the OP is confused, it is certainly not for the lack of 17 posts that provided answers and offered help.

1. It shows the AC FT is an awesome community

2. People here are willing to help, whether OP is really confused or really trolling. The fact that we offered answers and help shows that we are willing to assume sincerity and the best of intentions.

3. Even if OP is trolling or not really confused, the answers provided may help someone else who drives by.

Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keyboardwarrior
......I have credited all my flights to AC only as I prefer AC over ANA because ANA charges about 20% to 40% more.
Do you mean 20% 40% for cash or award flights?
Frequent flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn. They are not always 1:1
All awards have real taxes and some ffp's have carrier award surcharges. Like AC
The cost & rules for awards can vary a lot between ffp's

https://www.wheretocredit.com/all-nippon-airways

TYP HKG https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=Tokyo...=0&c=j&s=2&p=1
TYO SFO https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=Tokyo...=0&c=j&s=2&p=1

Generally you are better being a ff member of the airline you fly most or your home country.
Non flying ff miles (credit card etc) often easier in your home country
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
If you live in Japan I recommend you create an ANA mileage account and accrual all your miles there. After you get Platinum status you can apply for a special credit card which give you Star Alliance Gold status just by keeping that card.
groovbusta likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

Generally you are better being a ff member of the airline you fly most or your home country.
Non flying ff miles (credit card etc) often easier in your home country
I would fully disagree here, generally you are better off being part of the program that gives you the best value. It all depends on what and how you fly, if your employer requires lowest econ fair in canada, good luck with altitude + high fees and bad routing for booking reward flights unless you are SE. I'm Tk elite for 7 years running, maybe fly them every second year and live in canada. I fly United the most, but like to have lounge access, so I dont bother with UAMP.

It sounds like OP has a mixed bag of flights and likely needs a program without minimum spend/mileage.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
It's perfectly simple. Here, I'll let John Cleese explain:
fotographer, 24left and SightseeMC like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vernonc
Your Aeroplan miles do not count towards Star Gold. What matters is the number of miles you have flown with any one particular airline in one calendar year, spend amount on these flights and the eligible class of service. Ex for Air Canada you have to fly 50K miles plus hit a spend level.
Typically miles you fly on a partner count too, although one needs to check the rules carefully. So AC, SQ, and UA miles would probably count for ANA status and VV, but you can only credit flights to one program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.