Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Upgrading your fare class after booking.

Question: Upgrading your fare class after booking.

Old Aug 17, 19, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Upgrading your fare class after booking.

If I am booked with a group (booking not made by me) into a basic fare, would it be possible for me to call in and ask to upgrade to a standard fare by paying the difference?

Concerned about some upcoming bookings that may not earn me any AQD/AQS as a result of a requirement that the cheapest fare must be booked.
Old Aug 17, 19, 10:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
In normal circumstances, you can do this ("upfare" the ticket).

But if this was part of a group purchase, it may be more difficult. Do you have access to the detailed fare rules for your booking? And it was it booked direct with AC or through a TA of some sort?
Old Aug 18, 19, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
In normal circumstances, you can do this ("upfare" the ticket).

But if this was part of a group purchase, it may be more difficult. Do you have access to the detailed fare rules for your booking? And it was it booked direct with AC or through a TA of some sort?
It would be booked directly through AC, and it isn't really a group booking exactly. It is booked on the AC site, and we book the max number of people that the website allows which AFAIK is nine.
Old Aug 18, 19, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codfather View Post
It would be booked directly through AC, and it isn't really a group booking exactly. It is booked on the AC site, and we book the max number of people that the website allows which AFAIK is nine.
Then calling AC they should be able to split the file.
Old Aug 18, 19, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
If I am booked with a group (booking not made by me) into a basic fare, would it be possible for me to call in and ask to upgrade to a standard fare by paying the difference?

Concerned about some upcoming bookings that may not earn me any AQD/AQS as a result of a requirement that the cheapest fare must be booked.
@codfather

You should really call AC and first confirm that you can upfare from Basic Economy to Standard. I know when I spoke to an agent not too long ago, I did not ask about Basic. Keep in mind that if allowed, original ticket restriction and rules apply. Since I don't know the routing, I am not sure if the potential AQD/AQS/AQM are worth the hassle or expense.

Also, it would be great if you could post your answer/experience in this thread. Thanks

Change Fees for Up-fare
codfather and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC*A
Looking at the Basic fare rules for YYZ-YVR as an example, there are no provisions in the rules for a upfare.

In reading the rules, Changes are not permitted, period.

Basic fare rules don't even have the provision to upfare to a higher cabin like other fares do. I think you may be out of luck...but as with anything else with AC, YMMV.
codfather and flyquiet like this.
Old Aug 18, 19, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ChrisA330 View Post
Looking at the Basic fare rules for YYZ-YVR as an example, there are no provisions in the rules for a upfare.

In reading the rules, Changes are not permitted, period.

Basic fare rules don't even have the provision to upfare to a higher cabin like other fares do. I think you may be out of luck...but as with anything else with AC, YMMV.
@ChrisA330
Thanks for this post.
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Within 24 hours you can cancel and rebook. After 24 hours, no changes including upfare. Might as well book separately then.
Old Aug 18, 19, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left View Post
@codfather

You should really call AC and first confirm that you can upfare from Basic Economy to Standard. I know when I spoke to an agent not too long ago, I did not ask about Basic. Keep in mind that if allowed, original ticket restriction and rules apply. Since I don't know the routing, I am not sure if the potential AQD/AQS/AQM are worth the hassle or expense.

Also, it would be great if you could post your answer/experience in this thread. Thanks

Change Fees for Up-fare
They are future flights! I plan on asking if I can book my ticket myself and be reimbursed, but if that does not work this is what I may end up having to do. That is if it even is possible, as I consider what @ChrisA330 has said.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by codfather; Aug 18, 19 at 5:41 pm Reason: Missed a comment
Old Aug 18, 19, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you cancel and rebook (or even if you just upfare the ticket), this will put you on a separate PNR and mean that you're not traveling on the ticket that was provided. This can be a problem for some employers (and possibly other groups), so check any applicable reimbursement and travel policy rules carefully.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:04 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Wondering if anyone can explain to me what happened this evening. I have an LAX-YYZ flight next month that I had originally booked in Flex because I don't need anymore AQM this year and I wasn't planning on upgrading. I decided this afternoon that I did want to upgrade and the Comfort (K) fare was only $38 more than I paid for Flex and worth saving the 3EUP difference. I call in and ask to up-fare and the agent quotes me $160 to move from Flex to Comfort, I tell him I'm surprised because I thought it would be around $40, he goes "Oh let me check the website" confirms the fare and then charges me $38. Are the internal fare options not the same as AC.com or could he have been trying to sell me into a higher comfort class?
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Why not just do it on the website?
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Why not just do it on the website?
I wasn't aware you could up-fare from the website

Search this Thread