Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deplaning / disembarking at a remote stand in YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

Hi all

Arrived in YYZ today and had the first ever Air Canada experience deplaning or disembarking at a remote stand. AC1715 arriving from Barbados. Here is my video. Check it out.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Had the same first-time YYZ bus experience last week when we boarded BR35 at the tarmac level. It was delayed about 16 hours because of the typhoon and the plane was parked at the remote stands.

We boarded the buses from a dinky hold room downstairs where one alights from the escalators.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
What did you think? Was it a seamless experience? Pros/cons etc?

The reason I ask is that remote stand operations (RSO) are now common at YVR, and will only become more so. To date, AC mgmt have been resistant to do them, save for some reluctant Rouge (to/from Japan last year) and AC Express (departures to ORD) experiments.

I have my own insight & opinions about the program (based upon timing stats and passenger feedback from JL, AF, WS and UA), but am curious how AC passengers will react to RSO (note that RSO is different than ITD - Int'l to Domestic - bus ops that currently occur at YVR).
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I'd rather get on a bus than wait for a gate, and those are usually the only two options on offer.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Reminds me of days at Pearson where there was the remote terminal for Transborder flights on RJs.

I used to to hate the bus as it meant waiting until everyone deplaned before heading to main terminal and was a drag if you had no sky check and were near the front. The plus was getting dropped right off near customs hall.

However i now wish for the buses sometimes when landing at F99 especially late at night and there is the ten minute or more long walk to customs ... especially after a long day.

So while ideal buses may not be bad.
Ideal would be to build connection to main terminal and using moving sidewalk.

i wonder if something like what they had at DFW and terminal E remote gates might be worth it where you connected to the main terminal with an underground moving sidewalk. I wish that was the case with the F99 gates at Pearson.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
What did you think? Was it a seamless experience? Pros/cons etc?

The reason I ask is that remote stand operations (RSO) are now common at YVR, and will only become more so. To date, AC mgmt have been resistant to do them, save for some reluctant Rouge (to/from Japan last year) and AC Express (departures to ORD) experiments.

I have my own insight & opinions about the program (based upon timing stats and passenger feedback from JL, AF, WS and UA), but am curious how AC passengers will react to RSO (note that RSO is different than ITD - Int'l to Domestic - bus ops that currently occur at YVR).
They should have opened the rear doors and allowed disembarkation from the rear.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Arrived into a bus gate a couple of times on AC1949 (PTY-YYZ). I am always ITI so along with it taking longer to get off the plane, you now have a long walk up to the international connections area (against the general flow of traffic)

Makes 1 hour connections more “interesting” at least
Old Aug 17, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by cooleddie
They should have opened the rear doors and allowed disembarkation from the rear.
That surprises me that they didn't. It's standard in our RSO. Hopefully they see the benefits of doing so.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:36 am

This happened last month in YUL when my domestic flight parked at the int'l gate.....on purpose.
It was an hour before those of us in J got off the plane.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:53 am

Perhaps I misunderstood. Do you mean the rear doors of the bus, or of the plane?
At any rate, both doors in the COBUS are used at either end (terminal and at the plane) and the L1 and L2 doors are used - with separate Aviramps - on the widebody aircraft.
Upon arrival, J class deplaned using the front L1 door into their bus which leaves first. Y class uses the second L2 door until the J cabin is empty, and then both doors are used. Upon departure, the J bus arrives first, followed by the Y buses. Economy passengers use the front L1 door for seats F-K and the L2 door for seats A-E. Ground staff hold signs and direct passengers as they step off the bus and it seems to flow smoothly. I’m not sure what the procession is like for the J passengers seated on the starboard side of the airplane.

Every RSO arrival and departure is timed at every stage in the quest for continuous improvement.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase

i wonder if something like what they had at DFW and terminal E remote gates might be worth it where you connected to the main terminal with an underground moving sidewalk. I wish that was the case with the F99 gates at Pearson.
The DFW remote E gates were even less arduous to get to than the YUL "remote" gates.

Either are closer to civilization than F99 (but then, I've not been to the express MLL yet).
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tracon
This happened last month in YUL when my domestic flight parked at the int'l gate.....on purpose.
It was an hour before those of us in J got off the plane.
From YVR by any chance? I ask because it happened to me, but only after we all got off the plane then realized doors were locked to terminal because we were at INTL gate. Had to get back on and wait for all of Y to board the “mobile lounge” first. Was ridiculous.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Had to get back on and wait for all of Y to board the “mobile lounge” first. Was ridiculous.
I'd agree that encountering a locked set of doors due to some bus routing cock-up is ridiculous, but somehow I get the sense that the economy passengers arriving before the premium passengers is the real transgression for some here.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

Perhaps I misunderstood. Do you mean the rear doors of the bus, or of the plane?
At any rate, both doors in the COBUS are used at either end (terminal and at the plane) and the L1 and L2 doors are used - with separate Aviramps - on the widebody aircraft.
Upon arrival, J class deplaned using the front L1 door into their bus which leaves first. Y class uses the second L2 door until the J cabin is empty, and then both doors are used. Upon departure, the J bus arrives first, followed by the Y buses. Economy passengers use the front L1 door for seats F-K and the L2 door for seats A-E. Ground staff hold signs and direct passengers as they step off the bus and it seems to flow smoothly. I’m not sure what the procession is like for the J passengers seated on the starboard side of the airplane.

Every RSO arrival and departure is timed at every stage in the quest for continuous improvement.

They should allow boarding and deplaning from both the front and rear doors of the plane at the same time which will cut deplaning time by half and help turn the plane around faster. This is a common practice in the Caribbean where there is no bridge.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:52 pm

They should allow boarding and deplaning from both the front and rear doors of the plane at the same time which will cut deplaning time by half and help turn the plane around faster. This is a common practice in the Caribbean where there is no bridge.
They deplane 300 passengers from a 777 in 8 minutes. I'm not sure it can get much faster without using cattle prods. There is no desire by the airlines or the airport to turn an international widebody flight in less time than it already takes (under 2 hours). There's no panic for the pads, and none of the airlines are Ryanair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.