Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC Fall Do - 4th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - September 28, 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Calgary Fall AC FT Do - 4th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening

Date: Saturday, September 28, 2019
Boarding Time: 18:00
Reservation is under Adam Smith; we'll be in the private room (after entering the restaurant, turn right and walk directly through the bar)

Current Availability
J4 C4 D4 Z4 P4 O0 E0 N0 R0 I0 Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0 X0
​​​​​This is a Signature Class event, limited to J, C, D, Z, and P booking classes.

Confirmed pax
Adam Smith +1
canadiancow
canadiancalf
American Bovine
King Chung Huang
folkart
YYC3722 +1
Isotopist +1
Steven767
Lespoir
PhilElite
yyznomad +3 (yes, three)
Santander
Arvindhraman
D582
douglasr
BlondeBomber (upgraded!)
SteadyAT (finally committed)
24left

Signed up for EF alerts on Do availability, but not yet committed to the Do
SearsTower
mountainboy

Only come to Dos with T-shirts / don't like burgers or Scotch / committed to eating burgers and drinking Scotch elsewhere that night
Bohemian1
Jimmie Jet
gcashin
​​​​​nomadic.relief
WaytoomuchEurope
meltedmarshmellow
jasdou
YYC traveler
expert7700
zone1boarding
11yearoldsuperelite
Argonaut1000
rehoult
ScGhost0

Important Event Notes - FAQ

• Wasn't this in December last year?
    Yes, but in previous years it was in September, which, let's be honest is much more "fall" than early December, despite what the idiot who hosts this thing wrote last year.
  • Will the YYC Fall Do offer superior dining and beverage service?
    Yes. The restaurant has a very long whisky list and the best burgers in town. You can savour a sit-down meal from the ŕ la carte menu crafted for the Do.
  • What if I like hockey puck beef?
    Then you're a weirdo, but I guess you can ask them to do it.

Important Event Notes (real ones this time!)

• The burger and Scotch theme is purely optional. Those are the specialties of the restaurant, but you're free to have a salad and a diet Coke Zero, fish and white wine or whatever floats your boat.
  • [UPDATED 26/9]: We will have access to a few of the restaurant's recent Whisky Wednesday tasting menus which offer a flight of 3-4 whiskies at a reduced price. For past Do attendees, this is the same as previous years.
  • The Do host has not achieved Dorian's level of wealth and generosity. No T-shirts or other swag will be provided. Unless yyznomad shows up with some of his headphones and other goodies.
Print Wikipost

YYC Fall Do - 4th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - September 28, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
As my wife and I are moving to Calgary next week, I am definitely in! Haven’t been involved in FT very much lately but I’m looking forward to see you all again!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100KMM, IHG Spire
Buchanans have Lagavulin, an easy way to sell attendance to Mrs. Isotopist! I've been a lurker for many years and it would be great to meet other FFs. Please count me in with maybe +1. Currently YYZ-BCN and will talk to Mrs. Isotopist when in Spain.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: AC SE
This sure sounds like fun. I had a look at flights as I may end the year a few segments short of where I’d like to be. Anything with decent connections and schedule quotes at over $950 in Standard at this time. Ouch.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by jasdou
This sure sounds like fun. I had a look at flights as I may end the year a few segments short of where I’d like to be. Anything with decent connections and schedule quotes at over $950 in Standard at this time. Ouch.
Just saw this, and want to join in... but just checked flights and for now, it's a bit above my budget. Will wait to see if there's a real AC sale around Labour Day.
Would love to meet more FTers!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE-MM
Hi Adam,
Please add myself and +1.
Barring schedule changes we will be there.

YYC3722
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:55 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Sadly for me, while I will not be attending, I am glad to see that Adam scheduled this for a more civilized time of the year.

While it is true that anything can happen with Calgary weather, I am still missing bits that froze off during last year's Do. The good news is that I didn't notice at the time due to the healing power of libations from Islay.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Aug 19, 2019 at 10:08 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
As noted, I am on the "waitlist" but travelling on a fully refundable fare at this point -- can confirm about a week before.

Looking forward to it.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've updated the wiki for those who can't or didn't feel like it. Nice to see a good group is building.

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Crap! I'll either be attending the Anne of Green Gables Ballet (yes, it is a real production) or an ND football game!
@adamsmith how was the Cape Breton scotch single-malt? I have not seen your review....
@Yhztraveller, it took me a while to get around to trying it. Apologies for the lack of review. It wasn't really my thing, so I gave it to a friend who enjoyed it more. But thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Sadly for me, while I will not be attending, I am glad to see that Adam scheduled this for a more civilized time of the year.

While it is true that anything can happen with Calgary weather, I am still missing bits that froze off during last year's Do. The good news is that I didn't notice at the time due to the healing power of libations from Islay.
Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it. But if you thought it was cold last year, you're really living a very sheltered existence, because it really wasn't that cold by YYC standards
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:14 pm

Dude. "Sheltered" is why I live in Lotus Land.

And to think I actually grew up in YXE.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
​Good point.​​​​​​ Know anyone out there looking for a finance guy?

A colleague of mine grew up in YXY (or it may have been YZF), but after being in BOG a couple of years, he struggles with even September weather in YYC, so it could be worse

P.S. We should find another time to drink Scotch, either in YYC or YVR

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 19, 2019 at 11:50 pm
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

P.S. We should find another time to drink Scotch, either in YYC or YVR
That we shall.

I will ask the very generous and charming @BlondeBomber to consume an extra shot at the Do in my place.
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
As for the YYC Cold Weather Do.....

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it. But if you thought it was cold last year, you're really living a very sheltered existence, because it really wasn't that cold by YYC standards

It was a blue sky and bright, sunny Alberta day when we arrived in YYC on this triple instead of the originally scheduled 763

It was really nice as we left to head back to YYC, dry and minimal snow on the ground. So much better than the misery of damp YYZ winters.

To add to the festivities, Nomad indeed brought all manner of AC menus and such, while I handed out Kit Kats and dark chocolate Lindt bars.....courtesy of Santa.

I expect that the Sept 28 YYC Do will not require gloves, boots or parkas
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
As for the YYC Cold Weather Do.....

I expect that the Sept 28 YYC Do will not require gloves, boots or parkas
I can picture Mother Nature telling Father Time "hold my beer" I have work to do!
24left and Adam Smith like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Altitude E35K, Aeroplan, SPG Rewards
Will be at the September 28, 2019 Do (YYC Burger Scotch)

Hi All !

This is Steven767. I will be attending the Do at Buchanan's to follow up and let you know about my successful trip to East Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Tokyo) in July 2017. I flew to HKG on AC from YYC to LAX, then on EVA Air from LAX to Taipei, then from Taipei on EVA Air again to HKG. This trip took over 24 hours with the stopovers. I was very pleased with the J experience on EVA Air. I had never flown this carrier before. From Tokyo to come back home it was Haneda to YVR on ANA then from YVR to YYC on AC. All legs of my redemption were flown in J and there were no problems at all with any of the carriers operations, lounges or flights. I look forward to seeing you all and trying a flight of scotch at the evening along with the burgers.
See you all there !
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC S100K, HH Silver
I've confirmed that I will be in town this weekend and wanted to look at planning the aerial tour on Air Canada Express (Local Edition) out of Calgary/Springbank.

I have an event in the morning on Saturday so I could do a flight in the mid-afternoon, say 2:30pm (2030 UTC) if that would work? Alternatively (or perhaps in addition to), I would entertain a night flight on Friday. Could we add a section to the Wiki for who would be interested and what days work? As mentioned, I would likely give priority to any out of towners since anyone in YYC can tag along any time.

And for anyone that's interested, here's some photos of QYH -- https://www.jetphotos.com/registration/C-FQYH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.