Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC Article - Mom, daughter kicked off Air Canada plane, not told they're banned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBC Article - Mom, daughter kicked off Air Canada plane, not told they're banned

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Not sure what happened here with the original argument with the pax and FA.
However it seems like we have now entered a phase where you can discuss/argue with a police officer more than you can with a FA. Disruptive/security risk seem to be thrown around quite easily with pax being ejected/banned by multiple airlines. Many of these issues seem trivial. Do we get to remove FA's for being disruptive/surly/rude ?
I would not be surprised one bit if when we hear the other side, the crew would have been well within their prerogative to act as they did. Surely if they go as far as in this case, there must be quite a bit of paperwork to do, which they must have done since the folks were denied boarding at FRA. One does not get rid of customers lightly and surely crews are aware. Anyway, pending further detail, I would rather give the crew the benefit of the doubt. Plus, this was a Rouge flight I would think. Young FAs that should not have too much of a chip on their shoulder?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So they were given a directive to do something impossible (sit in a seat that is already occupied), said "I can't", and that warrants a ban?

Normally I'd make a snarky comment along the lines of "I'm surprised they weren't banned from flying", but oh wait...

The FAs have way too much power. Corporate security will issue bans on the word of the crew far too easily.
KenHamer, The Lev, arf04 and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So they were given a directive to do something impossible (sit in a seat that is already occupied), said "I can't", and that warrants a ban?

Normally I'd make a snarky comment along the lines of "I'm surprised they weren't banned from flying", but oh wait...

The FAs have way too much power. Corporate security will issue bans on the word of the crew far too easily.
I’m certain we have only heard one side of the incident. I would agree that the FA(s) overreacted if all the passenger said was “I can’t sit there as it is occupied”, however I would bet there is more to this than the “victim” is telling CBC.

tcook052 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Stranger
I would not be surprised one bit if when we hear the other side, the crew would have been well within their prerogative to act as they did. Surely if they go as far as in this case, there must be quite a bit of paperwork to do, which they must have done since the folks were denied boarding at FRA. One does not get rid of customers lightly and surely crews are aware. Anyway, pending further detail, I would rather give the crew the benefit of the doubt. Plus, this was a Rouge flight I would think. Young FAs that should not have too much of a chip on their shoulder?
Yes off course. I was not referring to this event in particular - just seem to have a rash of similar events. Like the flight diverted because a elderly lady tried to hand a FA garbage on the serving cart, etc. Or the other event where a mother/son were removed because of the seating issue in J.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by AC7E7

I’m certain we have only heard one side of the incident. I would agree that the FA(s) overreacted if all the passenger said was “I can’t sit there as it is occupied”, however I would bet there is more to this than the “victim” is telling CBC.

Intellectually that makes sense, but in my own travels I have seen far more flight attendants begin the process of insane escalation than sober passengers. They're always the first to raise their voices and they're the first to make threats and the target of their ire is usually at worst guilty of no more than confusion and often less than that.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: IHG Gold

Come on man, You know it was not as simple as that. Yes I am aware you have seen AC employees act in a high and mighty manner, but let's not make the magical assumption that all passengers are sweet angels.

How many planes have you been kicked off and banned from? Probably the same number as me. Zero. Matter of fact, I don't know a single person in my life who was kicked off the plane for bad behaviour. It is not common.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Error 601
Intellectually that makes sense, but in my own travels I have seen far more flight attendants begin the process of insane escalation than sober passengers. They're always the first to raise their voices and they're the first to make threats and the target of their ire is usually at worst guilty of no more than confusion and often less than that.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by mapleg
Come on man, You know it was not as simple as that.
I know no such thing.

Yes I am aware you have seen AC employees act in a high and mighty manner, but let's not make the magical assumption that all passengers are sweet angels.
I think that's a more reasonable assumption than the opposite.

​​​​​​
How many planes have you been kicked off and banned from? Probably the same number as me. Zero.
Probably not.

​​​​​​
Matter of fact, I don't know a single person in my life who was kicked off the plane for bad behaviour. It is not common.
I know a bunch. So do you. You just don't know you know.
KenHamer and expert7700 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Also, corporate security Work At The Airport™, so we know they must always be right.
KenHamer, D582, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Matter of fact, I don't know a single person in my life who was kicked off the plane for bad behaviour. It is not common.
I know two and both times it would be a charitable interpretation to say it was a mistake on the part of the cabin crew as they got kicked off because they were mistaken as traveling with other people who were being kicked off.

I also know a woman who briefly had a lifetime ban from a US airline for alleged inappropriate behavior in a lounge. The attendant so over-sold her story that management decided they better check the security cameras to see if involving the police was necessary and a phone call making a profuse apology came before the lifetime ban letter arrived in the mail.
pdsales, canadiancow and rickg523 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Error 601

I also know a woman who briefly had a lifetime ban from a US airline for alleged inappropriate behavior in a lounge. The attendant so over-sold her story that management decided they better check the security cameras to see if involving the police was necessary ...
This. And there should be cameras on the planes for just this reason. But it would probably take losing a major lawsuit claiming an unjustified removal caused significant financial loss to get the carriers to implement them.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by rickg523
This. And there should be cameras on the planes for just this reason. But it would probably take losing a major lawsuit claiming an unjustified removal caused significant financial loss to get the carriers to implement them.
Why bother when the plane is already full of cell phone cameras? Who knows as maybe a video recording this encounter will yet emerge.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Of course the truth lies somewhere between what AC says happened and what the banned passengers say happened. But why can't CBC make a modicum of journalistic effort and track down some other passengers who can offer a 3rd party view of the matter?

There must be more than a handful of other passengers who could offer some colour on what actually happened.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Why bother when the plane is already full of cell phone cameras? Who knows as maybe a video recording this encounter will yet emerge.
Because when passengers aren't doing anything wrong, no one is recording, so then you don't have video evidence that you're innocent.

The existence of a video would pretty much mean they deserved to be banned, because no one would bother filming otherwise.

Originally Posted by ffsim
Of course the truth lies somewhere between what AC says happened and what the banned passengers say happened. But why can't CBC make a modicum of journalistic effort and track down some other passengers who can offer a 3rd party view of the matter?

There must be more than a handful of other passengers who could offer some colour on what actually happened.
Why can't the truth be exactly what the pax say?

"AC" says exactly what the FA told them happened. It's not even AC vs pax, it's one FA vs pax.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Why can't the truth be exactly what the pax say?

"AC" says exactly what the FA told them happened. It's not even AC vs pax, it's one FA vs pax.
Come on, you know there's 3 sides to every story. It's not possible that the passengers in question and the FA are telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Can either party be completely lying about what happened? Sure. But more likely, there are subtleties that have been omitted from the FA's account to AC and the pax's account to CBC which are critical to determining whether banning these people from the airline was the correct course of action. An independent 3rd party would help add colour to this kind of thing.

I'll give you another example: in Quebec, you're allowed to have a witness provide an outsider's perspective to a vehicle accident. This witness cannot be an occupant of any vehicle involved in the claim, so we're talking about people who are in other cars or on the street. Why? Because, having nothing to gain or lose from the case, they tend to have less incentive to lie or take one party's side.

I'm suggesting that any journalist do the minimum amount of work before publishing a story, and that minimum amount of work increases with the size of the platform to which the journalist has access. I don't know which party is in the right or in the wrong here, but CBC could've done more research here.
canadiancow and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Come on, you know there's 3 sides to every story. It's not possible that the passengers in question and the FA are telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Can either party be completely lying about what happened? Sure. But more likely, there are subtleties that have been omitted from the FA's account to AC and the pax's account to CBC which are critical to determining whether banning these people from the airline was the correct course of action. An independent 3rd party would help add colour to this kind of thing.

I'll give you another example: in Quebec, you're allowed to have a witness provide an outsider's perspective to a vehicle accident. This witness cannot be an occupant of any vehicle involved in the claim, so we're talking about people who are in other cars or on the street. Why? Because, having nothing to gain or lose from the case, they tend to have less incentive to lie or take one party's side.

I'm suggesting that any journalist do the minimum amount of work before publishing a story, and that minimum amount of work increases with the size of the platform to which the journalist has access. I don't know which party is in the right or in the wrong here, but CBC could've done more research here.
Fair enough.

You're just not going to get any useful witness if the pax claims are even remotely accurate.

"Do you remember your flight three weeks ago?"
"Yeah"
"Did you witness an altercation between this woman and a flight attendant?"
"No"
"Do you remember this woman at all?"
"No"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.